Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger MK I Target 5 1/4 Taper barrel?

11K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  edlmann 
#1 ·
Does anyone on this forum own a Ruger MK I Target 5 1/4 Taper barrel? The Blue Book of Gun Values shows they did make them but list's them as "scarce" + 100% added to the value of a normal MK I Target. if anyone on this board has one I sure would like to see a picture plus any information anyone might be willing to share about production #'s. Thanks! :)

#2 ·
Ruger manufactured approximately 3,500 of the blued Target 5 1/4" from 1952 to 1957. They manufactured approximately 10 times that many (36,000) of the Target 6 7/8" over roughly the same time period. Thousands more of the 678 uppers were produced for the MKI series and through the MKII series. The 5 1/4" Target upper resurfaced in 1991 in the MK II series in blue. The stainless version came out in 1992 on both the steel MKII models and the 22/45 versions.

#4 · (Edited)
Local pawn shop has one with original(?) wood grips (no thumb rest) for around $300. Lots of finish wear. Is it suppose to say "Target" on the side? I'm not sure if it does or not but it is a 5 1/4 tapered barrel but the barrel looks a little heavier than the standard barrel and it has an adjustable rear sight.

Rob

#6 ·
what was the length on the US marked ones? Mine is locked in the safe at the moment to check
The government ordered approximately 5,000 of the Target models between 1956 and 1963 in 5 separate contracts. These are roll-marked with a "U.S." above the chamber. Records indicate that all of the guns were ordered with 6 7/8" barrels. However, it is rumored that several 5 1/4" barreled guns were included in the first contract (1956). According to Chad Hiddleson author of "The Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Pistols 1949-1992" there are three of them known to exist but records indicate that they left the factory with the longer barrel.

#7 ·
Thanks Jaybar! I appreciate those numbers + the info that the MK II stainless 5 1/4 did not come out till 1992. I was under the impression it came out in 1990.
The 5 1/4" blue version MKII (MK-514) and the stainless version (KMK-514) were announced in December of 1990. They weren't availalable until 1991. The stainless 5 1/4 upper was available on the 22/45 (KP-514) in 1992.

#10 ·
For everyones information I picked up a Complete Firearms Catalog at our local library and the price it lists for a Ruger MK I Target 5 1/4 in excellent condition is $700.00. Price varies in this guide quite a bit fron Blue Book but in at least 90 percent of the cases I would love to buy at their prices!

#11 ·
How exactly do I measure a barrel length? I wasn't really sure, is it from the face of the barrel at the ramp to the tip? I ask because I believe I bought a 5.25" barrel gun last year. I has heavy blueing wear but also included the Ruger compensator. Any way to tell if the compensator is original to the gun or were they all add on pieces available separately?

Thanks for the input and wealth of knowledge!

#12 ·
You measure from the front of the bolt face to the end of the muzzle. Stick a cleaning rod or wood dowel into the barrel of an EMPTY pistol until it stops on the bolt face with the bolt face all the way forward and mark the end of the rod/dowel where it sticks out of the muzzle with a felt tip pen. Measure the end of the dowel/rod to where your mark is..............then you have it:bthumb:

~Later,

#17 ·
Ruger T514

I have a Ruger T514 made in 1953 or 1954. It is in the box,in the wax paper, with the owners manual. It is very nice. Hasn't been shot much. I bought it from the original purchaser,who is deceased now. It has a small brass cleaning rod but didn't know if that was original. The box is yellow and red and has the serial number penciled in with the factory tape over it. Can you give me a value for this firearm.
Thank you.

#19 ·
Just to add a little to the T-514s being discussed;

1. The serial number for those guns started at 27000. For examples gun serial
# 27152 is a three digit gun and 27099 is a 2 digit gun.

2. The bolt ears come in single piece and two pieces. Korean war steel shortages caused Ruger to do this. Look at the flat surface rear of the bolt, if there is a circle with one small flat spot at 1200 or 0600 it is two pieces. And to make it more interesting they also can be found with and without tapered ears.

SATCOM2

#20 ·
Ruger Mark 1

I have a Ruger Mark I that I bought new in 1961 shortly before I joined the Navy. I have had a lot of fun with it over the years but have not shot it much the last twenty to thirty years. I do not want to sell it but would like to know year of manufacture if possible. It is a mark one with adjustable rear sight tapered 5 1/4 " barrel and serial no.75467.I would appreciate any help I get. Thanks

#25 ·
Anything VERY RARE!!

Can be fake,, barrels can be swapped and frames can be mixed around with little to no evidence,,

EXAMPLE,, my Mark 1, 2, 3,,,
I used a MARK 1 marked frame to avoid any confusion
I used a Stainless 6-7/8 HT barrel that was ONLY made in Mark 2
Then a Mark 3 frame is obvious,,
Works perfect and is quite accurate compared to my dozens of other Mark based pistols,,

I will be putting a Mark IV bolt in it to continue the tradition,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.