Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Izmash toggle action sporter

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Topstrap44 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Can someone give me the quick rundown on these rifles?
There seems to be steady interest in them, but I know next to nothing about them. And I'd really like to know...

#2 · (Edited)
Accuracy is WAY above their cost, no bolt gun can run as fast as them which makes them perfect for PRS/NRL matches. They are built like a tank, only thing they lack is a good stock. Magazines are really hard to find with 10 rounders being nearly impossible.

There is someone on this site that is making them. I still buy any guns I run across.

Both my Son and I had aluminum chassis made by ARS which turned them into real shooting machines. Used to be you'd see them on GunBroker and other sites but now it's kinda rare to see one pop up.

A short video of it in action.

Topstrap

#3 ·
Thanks Topstrap.

Generally speaking, what level of accuracy and cost?
I'm a shooter-for-fun, but I'm also an ex-Toolmaker with a serious appreciation for quality machining/mechanical precision. And I'd like to play at long range rimfire shooting.

And if I were to buy one, how much should I expect to spend getting it into a proper target stock or chassis?

#4 ·
There has been a drought of them for the last few months, but some have been popping up on GB over the last few weeks. Currently 2 listed-
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877701409
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877027809

Last few I have seen go for $670-$700 delivered.

Long range accuracy- these are not Vudoo killers. They are designed specifically for biathlon which is to hit a steel plate at 50m. Not closest to center, but cycle fast and consistently knock the plate down. They are built tough, have moderate weight and cycle quick as a bolt gun.

As a machinist, you will most likely love it or hate it. Rough machining overall, except where it counts (sear lockup), hand fitted and simply built. If you could tighten things up- really fun to play with. Would love a machinist to come up with a proper match trigger engagement arm that could take various adjustable trigger shoes. However, if you are expecting German machining- you will be disappointed.

I personally love them as a suppressor host and as a precision critter getter. Mine see regular use as a bang around woods gun that typically shoots better than I do. I don't think of it as a bench gun but they hold up really well. The unique action is great for rapid follow ups that keep the sight picture.

#5 ·
Thanks Gobber.

What would you compare them to, accuracy-wise? Would you expect 1/2" CTC at 50, or something better?
I am lucky enough to have rifles that will better 1/2" with everyday ammo (and do some amazing things when I don't screw it up) so unless 1/4" at 50 is on the table, I would probably invest in (or just keep shooting) what I have.
Love the action though. Looks like it really helps you hold position because you dont have to move your elbow.

#6 ·
Don't have any 50yd groups handy right now but did some ammo test a few months ago at 100yds and Wolf was about as good as I could do.

Most of the inconsistency was probably due more to the loose nut on the trigger than the gun itself.

Works well enough for what I'm after.

#9 ·
I have/had several 7-2 & all shot under 1 moa. Just bought a NIB one just over $650 on GB but haven't tried it yet. If a rifle won't shoot 1 moa I don't want it. As far as I know & may be wrong but Keystone 722 is the only rimfire that guarantees 1MOA & yes my 722 Thumbhole Varmint will easily do it. Amazing all American company, also makes stocks, barrels, parts for other brands. https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/model-722/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.