Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:29 PM
toppkatt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaney View Post
This sure brings back memories! How about the Commodore 64 & VIC20. How many remember using those?

Jeff
I was using a TI 99/4A with expansion box. Good times.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswol View Post
I'm at the age where software may be powerful but I still want simplicity. Back in the day, 1991, a group of us tried to get IBM OS/2 to run. What a disaster!!
I switched company's in the mid 90's - my first day on the job, my new boss handed me a large box of computer parts, an empty PC chassis and a bunch of diskettes with the OS, drivers, & application software we would be running. Knowing that I was a veteran - he said "This is your M1 in the Information Systems War. You will know how to field strip and put it back together in the dark. I expect it to be fully operational before you go home this afternoon" We used OS/2 as the OS and yes we got it to work very well.

The company chose to go the Windows route for all departments a few years later (a wise choice as it turned out) using IE as the browser. I retired from that company 5 years ago and I extracted myself from all windows devices. It's macOS & iOS across the board on my computers, tablets, & phones using Safari and I have not had to reinstall the OS on any devices to clean them up or fix one since.

I have been away from the Windows platform for the past 5 years, however, I would think IE should provide the best integration, but cannot speak to the level of expertise required and/or complexity presented to the end-user with the current OS version. I did some work with Firefox on both Windows & Mac platforms finding it to work ok based on the rather rudimentary tasks I gave it; however, being more familiar with IE & Safari continued with those tools on the respective platforms.

I am not a fan of Goggle products since their inception based on design but understand their Chrome browser product is getting better in the privacy options.

You may find this recent CNET writeup helpful - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/keep-goo...o-prying-eyes/
Old 08-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaney View Post
This sure brings back memories! How about the Commodore 64 & VIC20. How many remember using those?

Jeff
VFW sent me a pocket calculator last year.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:12 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ABC

Anything But Chrome.

All browsers suck - FireFox is in a race to the bottom with Chrome as to who can decontent and cripple the fastest - and rack up meaningless version numbers. Edge is pretty decent. Safari is buggy.

At the moment, I still use FireFox. I cuss at it, but I use it.