Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:48 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Latest 580 Build

I've had the parts laying around but a little layed up lately. Yesterday I decided to jump on a build I have been thinking about.
Remington 580 action
Lilja Stainless blank
Remington 540XR stock

Yesterday I fitted the barrel to the action and chambered it. This morning I tuned the extractors then threw it in the stock just to shoot and verify function. It worked great, no failure to extract, no failure to fire and loads Lapua Center x and SK well.

Next I have to add a second action screw, rework the trigger and piller, bed and finish the stock. I will finish it to match the 540X stocked rifle I did this winter. One thing I really liked about shooting this today was the way it sat in the rest. This is is a new barrel, trigger is right at 3lbs,and the barreled action really is not in a stable home yet but it would lay the rounds in better than I had hoped for at 50yds..

Here's a couple pics, I will try to get a few more on as I go. This is my last 58x action so may be moving on after this one. To bad we aren't seeing many build threads on here lately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200626_130323.jpg (471.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20200627_085542.jpg (531.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20200627_151720.jpg (527.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20200627_151701.jpg (530.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-28-2020, 03:42 PM
John Wilson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice work!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:07 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I bet that thing will shoot tiny groups!! You can always find more 580-581 rifles to get the actions.
Did you match the shoulder angle on the turned down breech with the angle in front of action?

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 06-28-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 10:02 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks guys. Hush on this barrel I actually did a step then tapered it to the tenon. It took a little time fitting it as this is the first barrel I have done this way. I set the rim depth at .040" then machined the tenon until the bolt closed against it snug but smooth without either the firing pin or extractors in it. I then chambered the barrel keeping it pretty tight engraving the bullet. Next step was to install the extractors and work them and the chamber until it would extract a live round of Center X. Last step was to glue the barrel then test to see that it would still extract.

That was a little more info than you asked but thought I would throw it in. I believe this rifle will shoot well once I'm all done putting it to bed and reworking the trigger. With Center X it will drop 3 or 4 rounds out of 5 in a nice little cluster but tends to throw one. I think I have a few ideas on why aside from the bedding and trigger.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Actually Hush I was out shooting one of the sporters I built, has a Green Mountain blank I milled to Octagon and tapered from the forend to the muzzle, used the same reamer but took it a little deeper. I had put one of the Nikon scopes that went on sale on it and really like it. Anyway that thing for in a Sporter stock shoots pretty darn good so it is making me rethink switching to a different action.

Edit: I said Nikon but meant Bushnell A17.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200625_115823.jpg (542.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by grg; 06-28-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Please DON'T take this a being Negative..Is there any reason you did not thread the action/barrel ?

Thanx

Jim
Old 06-29-2020, 12:07 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I take no offense to your question. First I'm not a machinist, more of a hack that stumbles my way around the shop. I figure there's much more potential of me getting things out of square and a barrel mounted crooked if I threaded the receiver. Also after talking with several rimfire gunsmiths about that very question, they encouraged me that you really aren't giving up much if anything by doing a stress free fit and glued in barrel. If I was building competition rifles maybe I would sway on that but aren't many notable rifles non-threaded? I am going to play with threading a few in the future but then I have to make sure I have my uncle around to teach me the tricks to doing a good job at it.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sweet!

These builds always make me want to build another 58x build, rather then a Tikka, Befarra, Kidd.

GRG.. if you ever inlet a stock like the sporter above, and you dont like it...let me know...😁
Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (248)
Another REALLY nice one! You do great work!

Doug
Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 AM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Bob I will keep you in mind, I'm healing up from surgery pretty good so hopefully get my duplicator going again soon.

I did get my action drilled and taped for 2nd action screw. I built and glued in both pillars and will bed it today. I also moved the trigger pivot point and added a search engagement and over travel screw. Without spending time tuning it the pull weight is right under 11oz.

I'm getting anxious to take it out and shoot it again.

Edit: got the bedding done and trigger breaking right at 8oz and passing bump test with no problems. I actually had it cocking and slamming the bolt closed it would hold at 3.7oz but wouldn't hold if I rapped the action hard on my bench. I may still be able to get it settled in at a safe 6oz, if not 8oz isn't to bad.

Last edited by grg; 07-01-2020 at 09:31 PM.