Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Ben3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Most Accurate Bolt Action

Guys;

I am sure this topic has been talked about a lot and I have read many articles on the net. But every year models change, accuracies change... Some say Ruger 10/22 others say Savage Mark II while many say CZ 455 (which is not produced any longer).

My question is: in 2020 what is the most accurate bolt action .22lr rifle out-of-the-box (without upgrading anything). Thanks for any information.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:27 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
How much are you willing to spend? Vudoo is a definite contender, higher end Anschutz especially and there are more if money is no object.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:48 PM
stephen_maly

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Most accurate out of the box

You might want to refine your question a little. Rifles used at World Cup and Olympic matches are the most accurate out-of-the-box guns. They include Bleiker, Grunig & Elmiger, Tanner, Anschutz, Walther, Feinwerkbau, and maybe a few others. If you are looking an low-end rifles, probably your best bet is a Savage 64. If 10/22's and Savage 64's were among the best, top ISSF shooters would be using them (instead of their $5000 plus guns).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2020, 12:50 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3 View Post
... Some say Ruger 10/22 others say Savage Mark II while many say CZ 455 (which is not produced any longer).

My question is: in 2020 what is the most accurate bolt action .22lr rifle out-of-the-box (without upgrading anything). Thanks for any information.
The "without upgrading anything" (in a modest price gun) and their Accutriger is why I purchased a Savage A22 (but the bolt version is a B22). The B22 is supposed to be the more accurate (semi vs bolt thing I presume). And the A22/B22 line is also supposed to be a step up from the Mark II/64 line. (I have not found a good side by side bench test results between March II and B22... it would be nice.) I sure like the feel/fit of the A/B stock better than the Mark II... but that's just me.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A custom Zermatt or Vudoo would be my choice.
...with the right barrel!
Old 06-15-2020, 04:39 PM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_maly View Post
You might want to refine your question a little. Rifles used at World Cup and Olympic matches are the most accurate out-of-the-box guns. They include Bleiker, Grunig & Elmiger, Tanner, Anschutz, Walther, Feinwerkbau, and maybe a few others. If you are looking an low-end rifles, probably your best bet is a Savage 64. If 10/22's and Savage 64's were among the best, top ISSF shooters would be using them (instead of their $5000 plus guns).

^^^ This.

And unless you built a Summit... A 10/22 isn't a bolt action.

I would say it depends on the price AND the usage. Bolt action to be used FOR WHAT? Biathlon? Sil? Running Target? Benchrest? 3|4 position? Some new run and gun thing?

You can get a whole lot of love out of a Savage MK[1|2] FVT for ~$300-400. (used) And it just keeps on getting more expensive from there. Lot of love for the CZs around $400-600. Lithgow 800-1000$ God only knows what all these new chassis based toys like Vuduu cost. Anschutz and others, get your arm and your leg ready...
Old 06-15-2020, 05:04 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not an answerable question unless you put a dollar amount on it. From the rifles you mention, all under $500, you'll probably find the Tikka T1X the winner
Old 06-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Ridgeback

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
best bolt gun

The Tikka is the first thing that popped into my mind for a gun that can be purchased off the rack.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:26 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Tikka has been in the back of my mind too as the next upgrade step. So what size groups can I expect with it out-of-the box at 100yrds?

With my plinker Sav A22 I can average 2.5" groups with plinker ammo at 100yrds (CCI-MM/AR/SV/Blazer, Fed RTP, Aguila SV and Eley-Action) with just a basic forward rest.

Will the Tikka with its higher tolerance barrel cut those groups in half to 1.25" with that same plinker ammo? (Cycle problems with plinker ammo?) Or do I need to spend $ on target ammo in the Tikka to obtain 1.25" groups?

I picked 50% of my existing 2.5" average group with my A22 plinker rifle using plinker ammo as an improvement objective/requirement to upgrade from a $250 gun to a $500 gun. Reasonable?
Old 06-15-2020, 11:27 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Not an answerable question unless you put a dollar amount on it. From the rifles you mention, all under $500, you'll probably find the Tikka T1X the winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeback View Post
The Tikka is the first thing that popped into my mind for a gun that can be purchased off the rack.
The Tikka has been in the back of my mind too as the next upgrade step. So what size groups can I expect with it out-of-the box at 100yrds?

With my plinker Sav A22 I can average 2.5" groups with plinker ammo at 100yrds (CCI-MM/AR/SV/Blazer, Fed RTP, Aguila SV and Eley-Action) with just a basic forward rest.

Will the Tikka with its higher tolerance barrel cut those groups in half to 1.25" with that same plinker ammo? (Cycle problems with plinker ammo?) Or do I need to spend $ on target ammo in the Tikka to obtain 1.25" groups?

I picked 50% of my existing 2.5" average group with my A22 plinker rifle using plinker ammo as an improvement objective/requirement to upgrade from a $250 gun to a $500 gun. Reasonable?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope double the cost doesn’t half the group size. Better ammo will get you better results. You might try one of these https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....uct/model-722/
Old 06-17-2020, 05:54 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Nope double the cost doesn’t half the group size. Better ammo will get you better results. You might try one of these https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....uct/model-722/
Thanks for frank info!
If I can't get excellent groups all day long (under 1" @ 100 yrds) with flat shooting 17hmr or 17hm2 in a sub-$500 gun then maybe I should just stay with 22LR and learn to like twisting scope knobs.

The Keystone looks interesting of course but the usual 2 or 3 marketing paragraphs on their web site was less than I expected/needed. Do they make this gun from scratch?