Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Mark XXII

15K views 72 replies 22 participants last post by  langenc 
#1 ·
Picked up a new Mark XXII yesterday during a gun buying spree. Got it cleaned up last night. Pretty nice looking rifle. Got the trigger adjusted pretty nice so now all that's left to do is stick a scope on it and shoot. I think I'm going to move my V24 over from my 1712 to this one and put a 6x20EFR Leo on the Annie.

Anyway, here's a few crappy photos... They don't do it justice but it was late and I was tired. It's not as nice as the one 9fingers just got, but I'm happy with it.

Again, sorry for the photos... they really don't do it justice.

Have a good day.

Kenny

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh I don't know about that, yours is beautiful also! Best of luck with it.
Thanks. They really are pretty rifles. I've always been partial to the more glossy look on stocks. When I refinish one, I always make it as glossy as possible. This rifle really is a nice rifle. I'm hoping it's more accurate than my CZ's, if so, I'm ahead of the game because all of mine are very accurate. If not, at least it looks nice and I can always play around with it. For it's intended purpose, it doesn't have to be one hole accurate.

I'm actually anxious to see how it does in a Silhouette match. It's lighter than my 1712 and I want to see if this gun will feel better in that setting.

It will be getting shot Sunday evening before a match. If it does well, I may try using it during the match. If not, I've got all day Monday to play with it and see how well it will do.

Have a good day.

Kenny

#5 ·
Kenny, I have only had time to do about 25 rounds through mine and it was very good and a pleasure to hold and shoot (as well as look at!) but so far the indications were it would not match my CZ American or Ultra Lux. But after only 25 rounds I really don't know. I don't know if I believe in the "barrel break in theory" but am willing to give them all time to "season" and see how they do after I get 500 or 1,000 rounds through them. My main problem is that I have too many guns I want to shoot and not enough time, so I don't get to spend enough time with any one to get real conclusions. I had 11 kinds of ammo in my bag yesterday and tried most of them in my Ultra Lux, one of 3 I was shooting, so you can imagine that my scientific method for testing rifles and ammo needs a little work! But I did have loads of fun and shot probably the best group of my life. Will post a pic later if I have time. Good luck in your match!
9 fingers

#6 ·
Darker tip wood it’s not African mahogany. Is the butt pad red or black color? It is possible this is a lower serial number gun.

Please don’t take my curiosity over the wood or pad as being picky or criticism this is the least of my intentions.

All of the Weatherby Mark Twenty Two bolt actions are fantastic looking guns!

I’m happy Ed Weatherby has chosen his fathers inspired style, stock design for the Mark XXII talk about good taste! :bthumb:

The Mark XXII comes from Anschutz equipped with the Extra Heavy Trigger Spring (Heaviest of four available springs). I hope when a comparison
is made of the CZ’s versus the MKXXII’s shooting ability that both guns are set at the same trigger pull weight and pre travel distance.

#7 ·
Darker tip wood it's not African mahogany. Is the butt pad red or black color? It is possible this is a lower serial number gun.

Please don't take my curiosity over the wood or pad as being picky or criticism this is the least of my intentions.

All of the Weatherby Mark Twenty Two bolt actions are fantastic looking guns!

I'm happy Ed Weatherby has chosen his fathers inspired style, stock design for the Mark XXII talk about good taste! :bthumb:

The Mark XXII comes from Anschutz equipped with the Extra Heavy Trigger Spring (Heaviest of four available springs). I hope when a comparison
is made of the CZ's versus the MKXXII's shooting ability that both guns are set at the same trigger pull weight and pre travel distance.
It has a black rubber recoil pad. Actually, that's the only part of the rifle that doesn't look right. The entire rifle looks very well finished, no sanding marks, barrel and action is true in stock, etc. The recoil pad has very rough edges and looks like something you'd stick on an old beater shotgun. I'll probably dress it up someday, it looks that cheap.

I've got the trigger down to 2 lbs 3 oz right now. I can't go under 2 if I want to try it at the match. I'll stick in a lighter spring and tweek it when I want to test for exactly how accurate it is.

I've read many places where the Mark XXII's are about on par with the CZs. Some better, some worse. We'll see how this one does. All of my 22LR CZ's are now set up for peep sights, I don't have an American in 22LR and that's the model that more closely compares to this one. I can get an American model, I found 2 a friend stashed away. He's keeping one for me in case this rifle isn't up to what I expected.

Again, as long as it's close to what the CZs have shown they can do when scoped, I'll be happy. I've got a 1712 that's the most accurate gun I'll ever shoot but I'm now only using that at matches. I don't expect this one to be that good, but if it's close, I'll be very happy.

This was a complete whim purchase. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought it. But it really is a nice looking rifle. I don't think I'll regret getting it.

I'll update on it's accuracy and how I like it sometime early next week. I'm going to try to shoot it early tomorrow morning to get an idea of what ammo it likes. If it goes well, I may try it later that morning in a match. If not, I'm going to shoot the snot out of it Monday morning, so I should know exactly how it stands.

Kenny

#8 ·
RFC members who purchased earlier production guns have reported the black pad. Your forend tip wood is also different from
what now comes on this gun. I suspect your grip cap matches the tip wood? Don't know the exact reason for the change in butt pad color?
Actually I would prefer the black over the red color, ok now you can call me picky..ha ha. Mabe some careful light sanding will spiff up the pad?

I would check the stock screws and make sure they are not too tight. I believe it's best to retighten them in correct sequence
and not over tighten them. Finish tightening the rear screw last.
Did you use a brass brush when cleaning? I think this would help should any gunk be next to a land.

Good luck, I hope this one proves to be highly accurate for you!

#9 ·
An update.

Took it to a Match. Stuck a Weaver V24 on it and sighted it in. UGH!!!! The dreaded Anschutz ejection problems strike again! I didn't mind it much as I was set up on a bench, just trying to see how accurate it was with a couple different ammo types.

It's not ready for shooting when it counts yet. Put it back in the truck and used the 1712.... awesome rifle!

Took the Mark XXII to the range today. Arrived at daylight with 7 rifles to shoot. Started with this one.... Impressions..... very very ammo picky. Very bad ejection of spent casings. Very hard to chamber any Eley product. Holds nice freehand but not nearly as accurate as the 1712. I'd say it's behind all my CZs so far. Does ok with Eley Team, sometimes. Not the kind of gun that I'll shoot tiny groups or high scores with. Very pretty though! Others there thought it was nice looking, but one guy had one before and sold it due to accuracy and ejection issues. Wished me luck with mine and laughed. Oh well...

I can fix the ejection problems easily, I've been down that road before so that doesn't bother me as much as the accuracy. I did find that to shoot it off the bags, it has to be in a certain position or it shoots shotgun patterns.

I've seen where some say they shoot the test targets with Blazer ammo. There's no way in the world this gun shot its test target with that ammo. I don't think the test target paper is big enough to get all 5 shots with Blazer on it! Believe me, I tried!

Eley Team does the best of all the ammo I tested. But that's some expensive ammo to get some, not all, groups in the 1/2 inch range.

I played with torque, gun position, and a few other things but the best groups were around 1/2 inch. I might be able to get it under that with some other tweeks, we'll see. But, I might just stick it back in the safe and leave it alone. I've got other rifles, quite a few actually, that shoot much better.

I can see where some say these are about on par with the CZs. I don't have an American model CZ in 22LR, which is pretty close in style to this gun. But the two 22 cal. CZs I have (Lux and Full Stock) shoot rings around this one when scoped. Heck, they might do it with peeps, I'll measure some of the targets tonight and compare. I know for a fact my Americans in HM2 and HMR will shoot this gun back into the dark ages. I've got the targets and data to prove it.

Anyway, I'll probably play with it some. At least I'll fix the ejection problems and bed it. I think some of the stringing might be from the striker spring. I had a few FTF with Eley, SKS and Lapua ammo. That shouldn't happen. I'm starting to have the same thing on my 1712 and have seen where a stronger striker spring is the cure.

Oh well, the day wasn't a total waste. A Brno Model 3, a few CZs and a Kimber 82g put the smile back on my face.

Honestly, I think I'm going to grab an CZ American within the next week. I'd like to have another option to play with besides my 1712. The Weatherby isn't close.

Again, these are just my thoughts on my rifle. I'm not saying other people's rifles would be like this one.

Have a good day,

Kenny

#12 ·
I can see where some say these are about on par with the CZs. I don't have an American model CZ in 22LR, which is pretty close in style to this gun. But the two 22 cal. CZs I have (Lux and Full Stock) shoot rings around this one when scoped. Heck, they might do it with peeps, I'll measure some of the targets tonight and compare. I know for a fact my Americans in HM2 and HMR will shoot this gun back into the dark ages. I've got the targets and data to prove it.
Well, Kenny, that still makes it a pretty good shooter. I've got a Cooper 57M that shoots "only" was well as my 452 FS.

The rifle is pretty, and that might inspire you to work on it some. I understand how you feel, though. When you have fine shooting BRNOs and CZs, I don't like messing with a rifle that is "picky."

#10 ·
Sounds close to my experience in the "seasoning" process. Had to have at least 1200 rounds through it before it settled in. Stuck with CCI for the first couple hundred and did all right...not great but hung with the CZ. Par.....then she slowly settled in, several different ammo test and ended up with Green Tag being bingo and consistantly. I hand feed for the best groups..just sayin.
Oh and that is a fine lookin wood on her - got character. I have a very early production..has black spacer and a redish pad.
Congrats on a fine lookin rifle.

#11 ·
Thanks, I needed that. I was kind of bummed when I wrote my post. I'll try some of the cci. I've never had any luck with it in any gun I've purchased in the last few years. But, I've got some, so I'll try it.

I did hand feed each round, I've found it does make a difference when testing for absolute accuracy.

I will try to shoot it more, but it's kind of hard to do when other rifles I own are more accurate. But, I'll give it a chance. I really do like the looks and feel of the rifle.

Thanks again,

Kenny

#15 ·
Don't worry, I've got a huge list of things I'll be ordering from you guys within the next few months. I've tried some of your products in the past and am very very impressed. Also, your customer service is second to none. Thanks for that! It's becoming rare these days.

So, sometime this winter, you guys will make enough off me to have a steak or two.:):)

Kenny

#14 ·
Another update.

Took it apart last night. Did some sanding to get the barrel to float. It was binding in a few spots but it's good now. While waiting for the poly to dry, took the extractors out and filed them down a little to fix the ejection problem.

Also, ran some wipeout in the barrel last night and let it sit through the night. I think I missed some gunk! What a mess! Got it cleaned up and took it out to try a few freehand shots.

The ejection is fixed... no problems with spent casings, they all go right. Shot only at 77 and 100 yards but didn't do too badly. I have some swingers set up to practice with. Used Wolf MT and SK+ and actually did ok. I'm not comfortable with this gun yet, but I will bench it next Wednesday and see if what I did made improvements and how much. If it improves, I'm going to practice with it a bunch just to see how I would do.

Honestly, this is a very pretty rifle, at least to me. I want to make it shoot, so hopefully what has been done so far will show me some progress. I've got all winter to mess with it and if I can get it close to the 1712 I'll probably use it next summer.

As for wood tips and butt pad colors, I have no idea if it's old or new. I think it's brand new as the shop I got it at just put it out last week. But he could have ran across an old one and got it. It doesn't matter to me, as mentioned, it was a total whim purchase. I just like the looks, but goodness what a difference between the 54 and 64 Anschutz actions.

After messing with my other Annie, this action seems wimpy. Even the CZs and Brnos seem to have a better built action and bolt. But, if it does the job, who cares?

Have a good evening,

Kenny

#17 ·
...took the extractors out and filed them down a little to fix the ejection problem....

...The ejection is fixed... no problems with spent casings, they all go right...
Can you elaborate a little on your extractor mods, or point me to more information somewhere? I am a new XXII owner and just in the past couple of days I have read threads with at least five different ways of going after the ejection problem and don't want to pick the wrong one. Some say to take material off the rear and some say the front. To me it seems like the way to go would be to shape the front of the left side "extractor" so it releases first to kick the case to the right. But I'm no expert. Mine ejects pretty much straight up so far.

#18 ·
Kenny - I also have the dreaded Weatherby ejecting problem. I have read the posting that mentions removing a few thousandths from the rear of the right side extractor, creating more spacing off the bolt face. Is that the method you employed, and if so, how much material did you remove? I really want to get the rifle to kick out the casings consistently to the right, rather than most anywhere it feels like. Thanks in advance -
Bob

#19 ·
Here's a link to what I posted in another thread. This was when I was trying to fix my 1712's ejection problems. It worked for me on that rifle and this new one too. The bolts are different between the rifles, but the extractors are the same.

You can read through this thread and there's several others in that forum that cover the same thing. Post number 8 is the one where I posted links showing pretty much what I did.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349093&highlight=Anschutz+ejection+problems

Hope this helps you. I'm not the one who came up with the idea, but it does work. At least on my rifles.

Kenny

#20 · (Edited)
Beautiful rifle. I picked up my new mark XXII a little over a week ago. Put a Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope on it and dead centered it for yard work at 20 yards. The gun doesn't like to extract unfired rounds. Does just fine with empties, but tends to leave the unfired cartriges in the chamber. They have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Took it back to my dealer 2 days ago for a return to the factory for repair. They said they'd call me when it gets back. Cost me $25 for shipping.

#35 ·
Weatherby called to tell me that the rifle will work better with some ammos than others. Some will stick others don't. So I need to try different ammos to find the ones that don't get stuck when extracting live rounds. I think my Winchester Super-X ammo is too long for the chamber. Any ammo recommendations?

#21 ·
kseatm,

I've been using my XXII in silhouette for most of this year. It is like a laser for me. In matches I use RWS Target Rifle. In practice I use a variety of ammo. CCI Standard works real well for me as a practice ammo.

RWS Target Rifle shoots at about 3/4" at a hundred yards for me off the bench with a 24x Leopold. If you can find some of this ammo, give it a try.

These are shot at 100 yards. That last one is with Wolf MT and was at 109 yards. If I hadn't dropped that low shot it would have been a super nice group.

#23 ·
That's a question I've been asking myself all the time since I got this thing. It was an impulse by. I stopped by a gunshop to pick up a Brno Model 3 I ordered from Denny. I then went over to another gun shop just to look around. I found an old Volstok CM2 that was beat to heck. Since it was drilled and tapped, plus not well taken care of, the guy sold it to me at a pretty good price. I got it just for a refinish project.

As I was filling out the paperwork, I saw the XXII on the wall and asked about it. I love the looks of the gun, and it really is light and fits me well. I thought, what the heck. So I got it.

I thought since it was lighter and seemed to fit me a little better than my Annie, I'd give it a go at a match. But beforehand, between the ejection and trying to get something to shoot decent, I just put it back and used the 1712.

I love my 1712. It's like you mentioned, a laser. I don't mean just some of the time either, it just shoots. But, I guess I'm just curious how the XXII would do in a match. I'll get it straight and try it out once or twice this summer but if it doesn't do what I want, I'll stick it in the back of the safe and stay with the 1712.

Honestly, I think all of my CZs are more accurate than it is. But, it's getting there. I've just gotten some of the RWS 50 to try in it. I've shot the Target Rifle and Rife Match with terrible results. I think the bricks of those two must be bad lots though. I haven't found but 1 gun that would shoot any of them halfway decent... and it's the most inaccurate rimfire I own. Even my 1712 hates the stuff, and that thing could shoot gravels accurately. I just picked up a few boxes of the RWS Match and Rifle Match to try again. Maybe it really was just some bad lots, we'll see.

I guess I just like to try different guns. It's to the point now that when I go to the range, I take 6 or 7 and shoot from daylight until my sons get home from school. Then a few days later, I take different ones and do it again. Starting this spring, I'm going to be shooting with a gang of guys every Sunday evening too. It's kind of nice only having to work a couple of days a week!

It really is fun, as I've never been much on target shooting until the last 2 years. Heck, I'd never been on a range other than while in the Military until the last couple of years. Now, I'm trying to shoot at every range or event I can find.

Have a good day,

Kenny

#24 ·
Guys,
I tried a bunch of ammo and found my xxII really loves Winchester 40grhp Power Point.. At 50' it just keeps making the first shot hole a touch bigger with each following shot.

I shot a 98 out of 100 in Standing Slow Fire in my first CMP Rimfire Sporter Match. It's a shooting rifle, for sure!!

Oh, and at 50' I started out the match with the scope at the highest allowed magnification, at 6x... Everything was a bit fuzzy and halfway through the match my scores increased greatly after figuring out that I could actually see the target clearly when I took it down to 4x..:eek:

My standing scores were better than my prone scores, because of this..

Next time... GOLD!!!:bthumb:

#26 ·
Very Beautiful Rifle there!!!

I have always wanted a Weatherby bolt action because of the finish and the stock shape and beauty.

Before I got on this website, I never realized that these XXII's were made by Anschutz for Weatherby.

I have a 1416 DHB that I just got in a trade, and I haven't got to even shoot it yet... No money for a scope yet... but I am working on that...

I am bitting at the bit!!!

I also am hoping that I don't have the ejection issues with my gun, but, it looks like it is a high possibility...

At lease I can thank you and others for showing me how to fix this problem!

:bthumb:

#27 ·
live cartridge extraction

Shipped my XXII back to the factory 3 weeks ago because it wouldn't extract live cartridges. If I had to do it again, I would have asked my dealer to check this function before I took possession in the first place. You can be sure that's what I'll do when they call me to tell me it's back and ready to be picked up again.

#28 ·
Shipped my XXII back to the factory 3 weeks ago because it wouldn't extract live cartridges. If I had to do it again, I would have asked my dealer to check this function before I took possession in the first place. You can be sure that's what I'll do when they call me to tell me it's back and ready to be picked up again.
Most match grade chambers won't extract live rounds. It is because they are tighter than your typical factory chambers. The Weatherby XXII is an Anschutz 64 "Match" action. There may even be a disclaimer in your paperwork that came with your rifle warning that it may not extract live rounds.

It's a good thing for accuracy, but maybe not be the best for a hunting gun. I've paid extra for match chambers... but I've never sent one back because of it. :D

#32 ·
I just went and loaded two magazines up with the Winchester Subsonic rounds and not one of them stuck in the chamber when extracting.

You might want to see if you can find some of these locally. They are fantastic hunting rounds. Quiet and deadly. Oh... and they are accurate. :bthumb:

#47 ·
Sorry to hear of all your troubles with the rifle. Good luck with it. Hopefully it will settle down in the accuracy department. I hope them reaming the chamber to a larger sport chamber didn't hurt it too much. But there are a lot of sport chambered rifles out there that are very accurate.

I haven't shot mine since my last post. I will probably be selling it tomorrow. A friend's dad just got one and want's to keep his NIB. He wants another to hunt with. The one I have would do fine for hunting, so it's probably going to another home tomorrow.

It's a shame as it really is the most beautiful rifle I own, but I don't like having to do a bunch of stuff to hopefully get a rifle to shoot to my liking. I didn't expect benchrest accuracy, but it can't hang with my CZ American I got in January so I really have no need for it anymore. I just wanted a backup Silhouette rifle, and really thought I'd hit the jackpot with its looks and the fact it has an Anschutz barreled action... oh well.

Again, good luck with yours... hope it works for you.

Kenny

#48 ·
The Weatherby is an Anschutz through and through. No Anschutz that I have ever heard of needed to be broken in.

You may find that in order to cycle live ammunition you lost the accuracy. The only way that Weatherby could have "fixed" your issue with extracting live ammo was to open the chamber with a larger sporter chamber. A few thousand rounds isn't going to change anything. You lost the match chamber.

Did Weatherby give you details on what they did?

#49 ·
Wanted to update something. I think I found the problem with my Mark XXII. Took it for one last fling. Almost sold it a few weeks ago, but the guy wanted me to give it to him.

Stuck a scope on it and started playing with everything I could think of to get it to shoot. Started the same as always, 3 or 4 either on top of each other or very close to it. Then 1 or 2 off by themselves. Was using just wolf, Sk+ and Sk rifle match as I was tweaking everything. Nothing was working as usual. Had tried putting bike tubing under different parts of the action, barrel, etc before. Tried it again. But this time really played with the action screw torque. I've done this before but never in 2 lb increments. Tried tightening the front then rear, the rear then front, tighter on one, looser on the other,etc.

I think I nailed it. It's in the inletting around the action. It needs bedding badly. There is a very small window of action screw torque, in conjunction with placing a piece of rubber just where the barrel meets the action. I had done this before, but never went this in depth with the action screw torque. It shot the first one hole group of it's life. It's not a 0.0 group, but it's pretty nice. The last three groups I shot, each one tightened up more than the previous one. They are the three tightest groups it's ever fired.

Trouble is, by this time, I had used everything else and was on the Lapua Midas +. Am taking it again the next range day and start over with the cheaper ammo to see if this setting works with all of them. Hopefully it will group decent with something decently priced, if not, it's going to be an expensive date.

It took me almost 2 hours of playing, but for once it actually shot like an Anschutz.

Fingers crossed for it to be right...

If so, it's getting bedded. I should have done it when I wanted to at first, but kept putting it off.

Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.