Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Best ammo I've ever had ..
Remington golden bullets
My nylons love the stuff
you must not have ever tried any other ammo
Old 07-20-2021, 07:56 PM
construe24
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoilspring View Post
I know that Remington collapsed recently and Vista Group bought out their ammo plant and that production has started at their AR plant. Picked up a box of Remington Golden Bullet HP. Has anyone tried the new Vista/Federal production of these bullets and if so, are they better?

I have read of such poor quality on their old stuff that we used to call "Thunderbolts" "Thunder duds". I have found that it was 2nd rate in accuracy, but if I kept their old stuff to around 35 rounds before cleaning I would not have all that nasty lead buildup that others complained about.
I looked at some boxes while visiting two local gun stores plus an Academy stores. All the info indicated on the boxes told me that what was being sold was production before Remington folded. I would think that Vista will show different info on the boxes indicating new production.
As an aside I went to a local gun show this weekend and saw bricks of this stuff as high as 50 dollars. The guys asked if I wanted some. I laughed at him.

The last two videos released by VISTA/Remingtom ammo did no show any rimfire ammo being produced all centerfire and pistol.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:36 AM
MTee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington Golden Bullet

How do you tell new stock from old stock? Is it the 2014 copyright date?

I just picked up a couple boxes of Golden 525 value pack from Walmart.

EDIT: I won't be buying any more of these as the bullets are loose in the case and some I can spin the bullet around!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RemGoldenHP1.jpg (159.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by MTee; 07-29-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:36 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up NOThollow points

Just a NOTE about my Post #15. The Rem Golden I have is RNL, NOT the HP. It cam in the 'square' plastic slide-top boxes of 100, NOT in paper boxes. It seems very accurate for HV ammo, and I have fired it in 4 different rifles so far.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:10 AM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Best ammo I've ever had ..
Remington golden bullets
My nylons love the stuff
Been a long time since Tom Frye sent a new world record with a Nylon 66 & Remington Golden Bullets. There has been some quality lapses in the meantime but there was some very Good Remington Golden Bullet made over the last 50 years. There has also been some lots that I had purchased that would average at least 10 to 12 duds per 100. Guess that is the reason that some shooters experience different results & both can be correct.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:17 AM
MTee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would rather have my ammo come in the plastic boxes. Bulk is pretty much all my local Walmart has been getting in.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Samuel_Hoggson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My father bought a brick of the old stuff (40 gr high-speed), probably dating to the '90s. I chrono'd it through a G44 couple days ago. 1040 fps average. Compared to CCI Blazer 40 gr used in pistol classes. Blazer 975 fps average. Without a chrono it was obvious which was which.

Couple different ladies brought Remington "Golden Bullet" marked bulk-pack to a recent class. None of it ran well in any .22 we had, including our two G44s. Which is interesting b/c our G44s cycle CCI SV. Gals used our Blazer and Fed 745, which cycled fine. Was indoors, so no chrono results.

Was going to burn up Dad's stuff, but think I'll save until we run into a .22 that won't cycle Blazer.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:58 PM
LeverGunFan
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been shooting up my odds and ends, and found a 1980s vintage brick of Remington 40 grain golden bullets made when DuPont owned Remington. It still had the $14.99 price tag on it. So far my grandson and I have used 420 rounds, had one FTF and that one fired when it was rotated 180 degrees. That's the way I recall the Remington GB in the 1980s - excellent reliability and reasonably accurate.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:10 AM
70charger
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington gold, Winchster Super X CCI I never really had trouble with any of them. Yes I have had misfires , I run them again thru firearm if it goes bang great if not I toss it. Maybe 1 in 100 fails to fire. To my way of thinking that's a 99% success rate. I will take that every day. Most of my .22s are older newest one was built in 1970s early 80s. I may have lower expectations then some but realistically I'm happy with all this ammunition.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:37 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The last ones I used (RGBs) actually shot pretty well in my CZ 452. I wasn't too impressed with their reports (pop, pop, pop, pfffft, pop) but I can't say they didn't shoot well in that rifle. However, I have a lot of rimfire rifles, and the others aren't so happy with RGBs. Overall, I think I'll stay with the other Vista brands and leave the RGBs for others to buy.

I've never really though highly of anything Remington Ammo made except the .38 Super +P cases. I don't really even like their .221 Fireball brass, happily Norma and Lapua sell .221 brass, too. In fact, I have vowed to never buy anything where Remington is the sole supplier, that was 10 years ago, maybe I was prescient.................
Old 08-03-2021, 10:56 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
During the Obama shortage,,,

During the Obama shortage,,,
I bought ten bulk packs of RGB's.

That was some of the most unreliable ammo I have ever seen.

Out of a 525 round bulk pack,,,
I would have at least 25-30 failures to fire.

I eventually ended donating over half of it to the local 4-H club,,,
They thanked me for the ammo but did later tell me they had the same problem with it.

They were grateful though,,,
Their kids had "something" to shoot,,,
And got plenty of practice dealing with dud rounds.

Last year, just to have something to shoot,,,
I bought five of their 100 round packs,,,
Not one dud round in that batch.

A friend of mine bought three of the 1,400 round "Bucket-o-Bullets" for his three sons,,,
He said they went through it all in one summer,,,
They didn't have even one dud round.

The moral of this story is,,,
Pretty much any manufacturer can produce a bad batch.

I'm not a fan of the Golden Bullets,,,
My semi-auto pistols like the Federal 550 round packs much better.

But in a pinch I'll not hesitate to pick some up.

Aarond

Old 08-03-2021, 02:34 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb42503 View Post
Been a long time since Tom Frye sent a new world record with a Nylon 66 & Remington Golden Bullets. There has been some quality lapses in the meantime but there was some very Good Remington Golden Bullet made over the last 50 years. There has also been some lots that I had purchased that would average at least 10 to 12 duds per 100. Guess that is the reason that some shooters experience different results & both can be correct.
I've got the complete article about Tom Frye and I don't remember it mentioning any FTFs during that record shoot.
I'll find it tonight if I can and reread it. My curiosity is aroused.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Now THERE'S a target rifle, if I've ever seen one.....
Old 08-04-2021, 08:03 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb42503 View Post
I looked up the Tom Frye article and apparently he didn't use Goldens.
The article said he used standard velocity so I assume it was target ammo.
He used 3 model 66 Remington rifles with someone constantly loadind and handing him a loaded rifle as soon as one was empty.
The rifles got so hot that they blistered his fingers and hands and he would sometimes hand off a bloody rifle to be reloaded.
He fired at 100,020 wooden blocks and missed SIX (6) times.
The muscles in his shoulders and upper back knotted up so tight that he never fully recovered.
Nowhere does it mention misfires. And he may not have had any.
Over the years I've probably shot up 5 or 6 thousand mini mags and had one (1) misfire.
I've never had a misfire on CCI SV or Green Tag.
Very seldom with Federal bulk, maybe 2 or 3 per brick, and the same with Winchester Dynapoints.
Never with Winchester T-22 or Super X.
Quite often with thunderbolts.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:02 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
To date, I've shot about 15,000 rounds of Aguila .22 LR SEHV with zero misfires, all of it since 2016. Sure, it smells funny, but it always works and usually shoots reasonably well in my various rifles. Some of my pistols aren't too happy with it, but they always go bang and make me happy. Do I wish Remington and Winchester made reliable and fairly accurate ammo? Sure, but they don't and won't. I shoot CCI sometimes, but the Aguila actually shoots better in my rifles than most CCI products, too.