Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The NEW show your Spyderco thread

38K views 462 replies 57 participants last post by  wayben 
#1 · (Edited)
I just thought that I'd start a new thread that isn't contaminated with anything that has to do with Photobucket. I'll start it off a few photos of my own in no particular order.

2015 Forum Native

See less See more
#117 · (Edited)
Here is the new Astute beside the larger Manix2. The Astute is great if you want a small, inexpensive, SS knife, and I am quite fond of liner-locks.

But the Manix2 is the best folder ever made, esp. in the LW FRCP model. It is the perfect compromise between small enough to carry in your pocket without noticing and large enough to process a couple of halibut. Best action I've ever seen -- from my natural hold position I flick it open with my middle finger from underneath, then to close I pull the ball-bearing tabs back and flick it closed -- totally one-handed operation, and no need to press against my thigh or body and risk closing on a garment. Very safe, and very fast into (or out of) action.

And, I can't say enough about the S110V steel. I can dull it, but I have to cut through a lot of fish bones to do it.

#118 ·
Well I better jump in here I have been dropping the ball and I have bought a few since the last time I posted:
L>R Shaman with Rex45 steel, Pattada, Kapara, Advocate, Mantra 2, Native 5 with M4V and my Sage 5.

That Catcherman knife looks really nice...when were they made and are they still around ? :D

Signalman :mad::):D

#120 ·
Well I better jump in here I have been dropping the ball and I have bought a few since the last time I posted:
L>R Shaman with Rex45 steel, Pattada, Kapara, Advocate, Mantra 2, Native 5 with M4V and my Sage 5.
Ha! You just need a Manix 2 LW in S110-v, old buddy. :D

I just skinned and deboned half a doe with mine, and it is still sharp. It's the larger of these two:

#123 ·
Question

Looks like i came to the correct place have carried mostly Gerber while on duty.Retired and am full time farming thinking new knife(Spyderco)opinions please i am a gun guy not knife guy.My needs are non slip grip no more than 3'' blade and lite as possible for pocket carry NO clip.Use will be everthing from opening bale of hay to quick emergency use on one of my horses to scraping gunk off tractor motor.Now what model and why.Thanks for any input.

#124 · (Edited)
Looks like i came to the correct place have carried mostly Gerber while on duty.Retired and am full time farming thinking new knife(Spyderco)opinions please i am a gun guy not knife guy.My needs are non slip grip no more than 3'' blade and lite as possible for pocket carry NO clip.Use will be everthing from opening bale of hay to quick emergency use on one of my horses to scraping gunk off tractor motor.Now what model and why.Thanks for any input.
The Spyderco Warncliffe Salt 2 might interest you. Straight knife edge, nearly rust free blade and fairly lightweight. The clip is easily removed. A lanyard hole for easy pocket removal. The bright yellow colored handle would make the knife easier to find when dropped amongst the hay.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Salt-2-Wharncliffe-Knife--85404

#135 · (Edited)
My Walker has a Seki City Japan stamp on right side. Probably one of the later made versions PSBK model - I had no idea this design was manufactured in so many countries.

Thanks for that link PWNolan, very informative.:t

Attachments

#137 ·
So are spyderco knives of equal quality no matter what country they are made in?If not what is the best?Thanks again for all the help
For the most part they are all good quality but there are variations from all countries.
I tend to find the USA and Taiwan models to be the most consistent in good to great quality. The Japanese made knives are generally very good but the quality doesn't seem to be quite as consistent. The Chinese knives are also very good but they do use lower quality materials to help keep the cost down. I haven't seen enough Italian made knives to really give an opinion on them and the Michael Walker Klotzi is a rare older model that I hear is spectacular but I have never seen one. For me, the country of origin isn't all that important when it comes to Spyderco knives. I usually don't even consider it when I'm looking at the next model that I want to purchase. :)

#147 ·
Picked up two small ones last month.

This Ladybug is for my granddaughter, she's 12 and loves purple. I tumble polished some Mookaite from Australia to keep it purple:

Posted in the "what did you buy" thread, added this little critter, will reside in my Jeep's console tray, they call it a "Roadie":

#149 ·
PM3 that may kickstart a Spyderco obsession for me. I definitely don't need another "anything" to collect.
View attachment 246427
Ha! That's what I said a whole bunch of Spyderco (and other) knives ago

Nice pick-up on the Para 3 (not PM3). You're probably going to want some diamond or CBN stones to sharpen it