Are there any types of ammunition that the Rossi rs22 has trouble with - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:02 AM
jbander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are there any types of ammunition that the Rossi rs22 has trouble with

I've read that there are some types of ammunition that doesn't cycle well in the Rossi RS22. Is this a issue that can be a problem with each individual rifle . Or across the broad spectrum of all Rossi RS22's

Last edited by jbander; 12-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:40 PM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not that I've heard so far.

I haven't had a chance to take mine out yet, but 90% of my rimfire ammo is CCI SV. It's the most consistent trouble-free .22 out there, and usually groups really well in almost everything.

If my RS didn't function consistently with it I'd probably look into a different recoil spring.

I typically don't shoot higher velocity .22 ammo like MiniMags unless it's needed to cycle the slide consistently, but then I look for a mod of some kind so it will run SV ammo.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:14 PM
jbander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

I haven't had a chance to take mine out yet, but 90% of my rimfire ammo is CCI SV. It's the most consistent trouble-free .22 out there, and usually groups really well in almost everything.

If my RS didn't function consistently with it I'd probably look into a different recoil spring.

I typically don't shoot higher velocity .22 ammo like MiniMags unless it's needed to cycle the slide consistently, but then I look for a mod of some kind so it will run SV ammo.
Thanks for the response, any thoughts on Blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 PM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbander View Post
Thanks for the response, any thoughts on Blazer
Might be fine, but I've never liked it.

I have Eley, SK, Wolf, Aguila, Federal, CCI, and a few cheap-o ammos in stock, but tend to stick to CCI SV in my non-match guns. It's not dirt cheap, but it's not expensive either compared to anything centerfire.

Give Blazer a try if you have it. I like to shoot SV as much as possible, and if the gun will function with it tend to stay away from higher velocity ammo unless I see a real need for it.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have found that the Rossi RS22, RB22, and Mossberg 702 and 802 all like CCI AR Tactical. All these guns have the same barrel out of the same factory in Brazil.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 PM
jbander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Might be fine, but I've never liked it.

I have Eley, SK, Wolf, Aguila, Federal, CCI, and a few cheap-o ammos in stock, but tend to stick to CCI SV in my non-match guns. It's not dirt cheap, but it's not expensive either compared to anything centerfire.

Give Blazer a try if you have it. I like to shoot SV as much as possible, and if the gun will function with it tend to stay away from higher velocity ammo unless I see a real need for it.
Again thanks for the response, I've seen quite a bit about Blazer on the internet, better groups but some jams.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 PM
jbander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
I have found that the Rossi RS22, RB22, and Mossberg 702 and 802 all like CCI AR Tactical. All these guns have the same barrel out of the same factory in Brazil.
Thank You Tom.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 PM
andre033

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Rossi rifles will function using most types of ammunition. I use CCI and Aquila mostly...but my ammo boxes contain several other manufacturers products. I don't shoot the "elite" ammo, except for a few boxes of Federal 922A Gold Medal 40gr LDRN. I don't buy much "bulk ammunition", (although I'm very interested in the Federal Hunters ammunition), so that helps.

In this regard, my Rossi's are a lot like my 597s'. Easy to please.

...and I've had very good results with the ammunition posted below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191213-201833_1576286642437.jpg (148.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191220-102830_1576855864668.jpg (87.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by andre033; 12-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Codenamedelta456

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you shoot piney mountain tracers out the rs22 I just got some and haven't tried it yet
Old 01-07-2021, 10:36 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I agree 100% with the above.

My RS22 is fed mainly CCI SV but will eat almost anything.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:00 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since I last posted in this thread I have had the RS out a few times, and it did fine with SV ammo from CCI and Aguila.

I did disassemble, clean, and lube everything, and smoothed a couple rough spots on the bolt before taking it out.

I've been spending my range time with other rifles lately, but really need to play with the RS some more. For the price it's a pretty solid little rifle, and I can recommend it without hesitation.

Did a few things to it, including adding some weight to the stock - which makes it feel a lot more substantial.

Last edited by jkv45; 01-22-2021 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2021, 09:20 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Since I last posed in this thread I have had the RS out a few times, and it did fine with SV ammo from CCI and Aguila.

I did disassemble, clean, and lube everything, and smoothed a couple rough spots on the bolt before taking it out.

I've been spending my range time with other rifles lately, but really need to play with the RS some more. For the price it's a pretty solid little rifle, and I can recommend it without hesitation.

Did a few things to it, including adding some weight to the stock - which makes it feel a lot more substantial.

In terms of bang for the buck, I couldn't be much happier than I am with my RS22. This budget rig shoots great. Other than cleaning up the trigger grit the internals are bone stock. I might do the Mcarbo trigger spring and a little tweaking, but for the price the stock stuff is more than good enough after cleaning it up a little.

I'm thinking about adding some stock weight also. It's so light that it's a bit tough for me to shoot offhand well. Looking at options as to where I want to add the weight.

The cheek riser isn't a bad idea either. I've modified my hold and cheek weld enough to be happy with the stocker, but the riser might give me getter consistency.

As for ammo, I've put bulk Winchester and Federal through it, then some various low end Eley, all without issue. I did have some Armscor that caused some stovepipes and feed issues, but always seemed to go bang still.

It's shooting well enough that I think I'm going to put some mid range ammo through it soon and see if I can tighten things up even a little more. Most of what I've put through it is high velocity stuff, but I did put some subsonic Eley Contact through it without feed issues. No need for the HV stuff in this thing.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:21 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had my RS out just two times. A brick of Fed RTP ran problem free. One box of Aguila HV also ran fine. I had one last box of Win Wildcat ammo that none of my other guns like (cycling and/or POI) and it was poor again with the RS. Blazer is next on my list.

Shooting SV ammo? I'm sure I will give that a try at some point but not until I have 1K rounds through it first.

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 01-22-2021 at 01:30 AM.