Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

UNFINISHED .22 HEAVY BARRELS

779 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bugeye 
#1 ·
I'm guessing this is the right forum. :)
I see that the aftermarket barrels for 10/22s and CZs and probably others are, in most cases, drop-in, and all the info as to maker, caliber etc. is engraved on the barrel.
But lets say you had another action, maybe a Remington 581 that had the action threaded.
I'm assuming here that you would just order a plain barrel blank and have a smith turn down a shank and thread it to match the action.

So, where is the most likely place to order that barrel blank, and would it be stamped with the makers name since a gunsmith would be making big changes to it??
The reason I'm asking is, to maybe get a feel about the barrel that I have which is screwed into a 581 action which I have.
There is absolutely no markings on the barrel.
Is that Normal??

And if this rifle proves to be as accurate as I think it will, should I take it to a qualified smith and have it stamped with model and caliber??

#2 ·
Blanks come marked on the chamber end by the manufacture that is usually turned down and hidden. Most smiths mark the chamber on the barrel, they may or may not depending on vanity mark their name or initials on it some where. I’ve heard tell of some placing initials on the bottom of it where it gets hidden by the stock. All my aftermarket tubes have been marked for cartridge only, with the exception of a tight necked 6br that has the chambers neck OD marked along with the cartridge

#3 ·
Blanks come marked on the chamber end by the manufacture that is usually turned down and hidden. Most smiths mark the chamber on the barrel, they may or may not depending on vanity mark their name or initials on it some where. I've heard tell of some placing initials on the bottom of it where it gets hidden by the stock. All my aftermarket tubes have been marked for cartridge only, with the exception of a tight necked 6br that has the chambers neck OD marked along with the cartridge
Thanks for the reply.
I'll take it back out of the stock and look underneath.
Everything about it looks very professional so I hope for the smith's name or mark or anything to identify the barrel.

Judging by your 6br, you must be serious about your loads. :)

#4 ·
Well, I took the barreled action out of the stock and there is zero markings underneath, and a magnifying glass showed nothing on the face of the chamber end of the barrel.
So I'll just cross my fingers and hope it didn't come from the Ajax cast iron sewer pipe company.:)

#7 ·
I have at least 4 aftermarket barrels and none are marked with the makers mark. I suspect that because it is a blank, the maker has no idea where it is going to be cut. None of the .22LR barrels are marked with the caliber and one is a Lilja and the other a Shilen. The center fire ones are marked with the caliber and one is marked with the chamber diameter and both are Lilja. I wouldn't worry about who made the barrel rather how does it shoot. If it's an aftermarket barrel, I would suspect that it has some sort of a match chamber un less it was a drop in and then it might have a Bentz chamber.

#8 ·
Thanks, good reply.
It's not a drop in I guess, the action has been threaded. (581)
It looks to be professionally done, so based on your post, I'll assume that it's a quality barrel with a match chamber.
Unless, it throws shotgun patterns.:) I'll know if it ever stops raining here.

Just guessing here, I'd bet it was purchased from an estate.
The seller said he ships a lot of rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.