Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Revolver Recommendation?

650 views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  **oneshot** 
#1 ·
Hi Folks!

I'm an old gun guy, but I have to admit my total ignorance when it comes to revolvers. I had one years ago, hated the trigger, got rid of it quickly.

But I'd like to try again. So...

Would anyone care to recommend a rimfire revolver? I'd use it mainly for target and plinking. Looks matter. Quality matters more. User adjustable sights are essential.

Thanks!
Dave

#6 ·
... for double action quality built, one of the vintage S&Ws will likely make you very very happy. A bit high in cost unless you know someone who really likes you a lot and gives you a sweet deal.
First a question...

Double action, exposed hammer revolvers can be used in single action mode. Correct?

Then a thought...

Obviously, I'd like to pay as little as possible, but in years of gun "renting," I've learned that if you buy a quality firearm you can always sell it for close to what you paid.

Thanks!
Dave

#14 ·
I handled a Ruger Single 10 (single action) recently was pretty impressed. They are selling well for Ruger. I liked what I saw.

The average shooter will not likely notice any difference between the bore diamters of 22LR versus 22 WMR.

I prefer double action 22 revolvers. The better ones are made by either Smith & Wesson or Colt. Many of the Colt's are becoming collector's items and the price has gone up a bit.

The better ones are: S&W Model 17 or 18, the current M617. The current Model 63 is sold with a 3" barrel. I have the 5" and have been quite pleased with it overall. But the grips are a lot smaller than the full sized M17/M18/M617. It is up to you if you like the feel. I personally like both.

The better Colts were the Officers Model Match, Diamondback, and Trooper Mark III in 22. The Trooper Mark III is the least expensive of these. It is a fine revolver, but some feel it is overly heavy for a 22. I suspect it is because of the hole diameter of 22 vs 38 cal which adds a fair amount of weight. There were other Colt DA 22 revolvers, but those are the more recent models sold.

The big difference you will see is in the triggers between frame sizes and manufacturers.

Some have been happy with the new Ruger SP-101 in 22LR. I have not even handled one yet. I need to make some runs by some gunshops.

#17 ·
The big difference you will see is in the triggers between frame sizes and manufacturers.
And coming from the world of John Browning designed semi-autos -- e.g., Colt Woodsman, Belgian Brownings, et al -- I'm spoiled by having wonderful triggers.

Of the revolvers you mentioned, which ones have the best out-of-the-box triggers?

Thanks!
Dave

#16 · (Edited)
I don't disagree about the S&W model 17 being accurate, but there is certainly something to be said for a Colt Officer's Model Match.

I've got one and will never part with it. The double action trigger isn't too bad, but the single action is tremendous. It's the most accurate .22 revolver that I have ever fired.

Not the best photo, but...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.