Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:21 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewoodsman View Post
I am fully aware of the barrel length ballistics.
Regardless, my point was, the OP is telling a "story" and claimed to have hit all ten clay's at 200 yds. using 40 rounds.

Regards,
Tom Platt
[email protected]
Exactly! It's one heck of a 'story.' Forget 200 yards, at even 200' it would be a heck of a 'story.'
Old 07-27-2021, 05:30 AM
Woodsman1936

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I do appreciate all the input and some very interesting replies they were. I guess I just don't want to leave youth behind and was imagining I could keep up with what I used to do, back 40 years gone.

I am interested though in that idea one Gentleman posted of trying better ammo because I've seen $20/50 rounds ammo and wondered if it would help much.

I just wish the darn thing wasn't so light because it shakes too easily in my aging hands, but I was bench resting, at least I rested my wrist on some sand bags on the bench but the pistol was still only touching skin.

Too darn bad they didn't drill and tap for a small pistol scope, I'd certainly love to give that a try, even though Gramps always taught that ''Using a scope was for Cheaters''.
- He was a hard man from a hard time who carved a life out of the dirt for himself, his wife and 8 children and I guess he must have thought that nothing in life should be easy.

Maybe I can save a little coin if someone would be so kind as to provide advice on which more expensive ammo is best for that range accuracy from a pistol, and I do believe I should keep the velocity under sonic or it might go all squirrelly when it slows down.

I'll wager all that Rockefeller priced ammo is under sonic to insure it holds a stable line, but I wouldn't know where to begin to throw away $20 bills.

Might there be someone who's had good luck with a certain some of them pricey rounds in your pistol?

Thank you again for all the kind and helpful input.
- Henry
Old 07-27-2021, 12:26 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too, am impressed with any hits on a clay target at 200, even at 100, 2 out of 10 is not bad.
As for ammo, most folks shooting .22 handguns seem to be quite satisfied with CCI Standard velocity. You should be able to find it, even now, at about $4.00 per box. You would be wasting money to spend $15.00 to $20.00 a box in just about any handgun.

Last edited by WalnutBill22; 07-27-2021 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2021, 03:35 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
2 out of 10 on clays with a .22lr at 200 yards would be decent accuracy with a scoped rifle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to shoot an open sight pistol at that distance before, as least not seriously.

My recommendation would be to add a 16"-18" barrel and at least a 20 scope then try again.....Even then you would probably need something a little better than bulk ammo.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:44 PM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd have to see a video of him doing it, or I don't believe it.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:01 PM
clwebwter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm, tends to make a fellow wonder..........
Old 07-29-2021, 07:25 PM
ClayD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As others have said, that's some very fine shooting for a pistol at 200 yards. I don't think I could even SEE a clay target that far away without a scope, let alone hit it.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:08 PM
Bill W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMHO it's truly NOT believable.
I shoot precision rifle. My equipment is a Vudoo V22-S shooting off a Farley Co-Axial rest. My optic is Sightron III 45X45. The ammo I use is Lapua Ctr-X. We shoot steel 2" animals and life savers at 100yds and baby aspirin glued to a card at 50. I find it quite hard to believe this guy can clear 10 clay's at 200 yds with IRON SIGHTS! I'd have to see it to believe it. Not saying it isn't possible mind you. I've seen some pretty amazing things but this, this is tough to swallow.
Again, just my opinion.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:48 AM
7mike11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This story reminds me of a story told by the great hand gunner Elmer Keith

Elmer told the "story" in his book Hell I was There. The story goes that he claimed to have killed five jackrabbits at somewhere over 100 yds. with one shot of his 44 mag. There was speculation that he must have got 5 of them lined up, he finally admitted that it was a pregnant doe rabbit. And it took three or four tries before he hit it. My Dad told me a long time ago to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. No offence Woodsman1936 but I don't believe that "story"
Old 07-30-2021, 08:05 AM
Bill W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mike11 View Post
Elmer told the "story" in his book Hell I was There. The story goes that he claimed to have killed five jackrabbits at somewhere over 100 yds. with one shot of his 44 mag. There was speculation that he must have got 5 of them lined up, he finally admitted that it was a pregnant doe rabbit. And it took three or four tries before he hit it. My Dad told me a long time ago to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. No offence Woodsman1936 but I don't believe that "story"
Your dad was right! Good advice!
Old 07-30-2021, 12:05 PM
Momo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, you guys got me. I've subscribed to the thread to see where this goes.....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 PM
Willybill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo

Standard velocity only in that pre-Woodsman. As for your accuracy, be happy. 200 yards? Save your money and forget the gunsmith. Enjoy that sweet old pistol. I've got one. Family heirloom. The story was back in the 30's my great uncle Will would shoot pigeons off the barn roof from the front porch and rarely miss. About 60 yds. Try that sometime. When I was younger I loved that teeny notch and that teeny bead. Now at 66, not so much. My kid shoots it well though. 35, still good eyes.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:39 AM
Notna

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm reminded of a high school buddy who ran a BBS about 30 odd years ago. He "invented" a poster to spark interest in the site. I'm not saying this is the case here, I'm just waxing nostaligic and thought I'd share it.