50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot for May. 2021

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  aqbill 
#1 ·
50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot for Apr. 2021

Apr. 2021 Results

Shooter Post Rifle Ammo Score
Bill Parkhurst 2 CZ452 Lux SK Std+ 190 5x

50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot

I see this shoot as a place where we may keep track of our own shooting improvements, compare our shooting abilities with our fellow shooters, and to brag a little.

OK, lets start:
Iron Sight (Globe & Peep)
Matches start on the first day of each month and end on the last day of the month. Scores to be reported by the 2nd- 4th day of the following month. A Score Bulletin with all shooters names posted on the 4th or 5th day of the following month.
TARGETS TO BE USED IN THIS MATCH: NRA A 23/5 target. Note: This target is only for 50 yards. Five shots are fired at each bull for a total possible score of 200-20X.
The "HOW TO SCORE" Graphic:

Ammunition is shoot what you have.
Optical front lens are permitted but limited to 1.5X. Shooters may use tube extensions on either their front or rear sights as long as they do not contain any optical magnification and the extensions do not form one solid tube between sights; i.e., there must be a distinguishable distance between the front and rear tubes making them separate. Shooters may use any type or color of front sight insert (clear, amber, etc.) and after market eyepieces or discs on their rear sight (Merit, Hadley, Gehmann, etc.) as long as the inserts or discs do not offer any optical magnification.
You may shoot as many targets each month with the same rifle but please only post one target. If you use a second or third rifle please only post one target per rifle. Shoot as many rifles as desired.
From the front edge of the bench to the face of the target: 50 yards.
A maximum of 20 minutes is allowed to fire all sighter shots and five shots at each of the 4 record bulls per target.
You may shoot on an indoor range, please note it when post your score.
The let's not:
have any rail guns, or benchrest stocks. Any rifle with a benchrest type stock or a custom action or a factory action that has been "blueprinted" will not be allowed in this class. A benchrest stock is one that has a forend with a flat bottom, more than 2.7 inches wide, and/or has the bottom of the buttstock parallel or near parallel to the bottom of the forend. Bench Rest Blocks (plates attached to the accessory rail or stock) are not permitted.
At the end of the year (early January) I will compile all of a persons scores divided by 12 (months in a year) and post a yearly score.
I would like for everyone to report their score and equipment information as follows

Example:
Your name or screen name
Rifle, ammo, score
Equipment list (rest front/rear, any thing special about your setup)
Weather/or shot indoors
Excuses: Anything you would like us to know about your shooting day.
Would be nice if you could post a photo of your setup.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all, something to try out please.

Here is a post of mine on another thread. Perhaps some of us can shoot with the ammo we usually use, than shoot a full target with the best of the high velocity ammo we have and post the results.
Thanks, David

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222571

A lot has been written on this subject and a lot of what is accepted as truth seems to be now open to further question. For years the "truth" was that .22 rimfire bullets passing through the transonic speeds would not be as accurate as bullets which started out as subsonic, and of course, stayed that way. For the long distance centerfire shooters, bullets which stayed supersonic to the target were more accurate than those which didn't. And to really make drawing conclusions more difficult for us .22 rimfire shooters, the quality control in the manufacture of our ammunition plays a huge role. The finest on ammo is very expensive, and does shoot better. Multiple thousands of dollars into custom built benchrest rifles with the finest of rests, scopes, ammo etc. demonstrates what is capable. Long winded maybe, but recent posts question the effect going transonic on accuracy and the consensus seems to me to be that if it has any effect, it is very very small. Without the best in everything, including wind flags, it is difficult to assign a reason to the results without a certain amount of speculation. I have been shooting the 50 yard benchrest iron sight game for many years. I have always used middle of the road match ammo, the old made Wolf Match Extra and SK Rifle Match. I should get some high velocity ammo and try it sometime, same everything else, and see what results I get. I am soon to head North for the summer, so may need to have this a project for next Fall.

#3 ·
At the Sebastian range today, 5/10/21

*** I totally forgot to bring high speed ammo to try today ***

May 10, 2021
Indian River Range, Sebastian, Florida

200-15x
200-13x
200-12x

Savage/Anschutz Model 64
Redfield Olympic Sights
Harris Bi-Pod & Protextor Rear Bag
A23/5 targets w/black centers
75-80 degrees, wind 10 - 12 Broken clouds.
SK Rifle Match 1st two targets.
Wolf Match Extra last target
Both of these ammos are the same, any difference in score is me getting tired and wind picking up as we got into the morning.

#4 ·
Wagnon Mountain (AL) Range, May 15, 2021

Bill Parkhurst (AQBill)
BSA "Famous" Model 12 (1927-29) with Redman lined barrel & vintage Parker-Hale aperture sights, Federal UltraMatch (UM22), 50/4, 50/4, 50/2, 50/5 = 200/15X
Cowan Front Rest & Protektor Rear Bag
Outdoors in upper 60s/low 70s, bright sun, very light wind.
No excuses! Conditions almost perfect. The best shooting day I've experienced in a long time.
Also shot USBR "Green Monster" target with stock Sako p94s varmint & Weaver T36 scope using Federal UltraMatch (UM22). Score of 235/1X which is a personal best. :D

#6 ·
Dear David,

Thanks for your kind words. I envy your summers on the Cape. My Mom & Dad met there back in the mid-30s when he was a camp counselor at Camp Wanaweta on Mashpee Pond and she was a nanny/governess at one of the big ocean-front houses. Good luck with your 12/15!

Cheers,
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.