Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:13 PM
wonderwolf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Marlin 70SSP Papoose for the win

So a year ago I got my papoose and did a lot of work to it to upgrade, some of which I have not yet posted here.

#1. Upgraded with tech sights

#2. Removed magazine safety feature

#3. Repaired the barrel, The factory drilled the front sight hole too deep and you could see light through the hole if you shinned a flashlight down the bore and had the sight removed. My fix was a JB weld plug with the bore coated in grease so the JB weld might not move into the bore and stick in there as well. The plug has worked great and did not harm accuracy in the least

#4. Threaded the barrel 1/2x28

#5. Reinstalled the front sight, The front sight was several degrees off center when I installed the Tech sight ( also since the papoose has a thinner barrel than the 795 the front post on the tech sight can stick above the sight ears). I used the flat on the breach of the papoose barrel as my reference and using my mill re-drilled and tapped the hole for the front sight. Turned out perfect!

I tested several kinds of ammo to see what the gun liked the most with the open sights, CCI subsonics were the best out of everything I tried so that is my standard for that gun.

This past weekend I ran a Biathlon event (my 17th such event I think) with the papoose suppressed and won first place. The gun only gave me one issue on the last stage but did not hurt my standing obviously, I failed to make sure the 10 round magazine seated all the way. Obviously the accuracy out of the papoose was really good. And I have more confidence in the gun now after that event.

Note= My suppressor is very heavy and I don't plan on shooting it often on the papoose as I can see an issue with the aluminum receiver and the steel barrel extension paired with the weight at the end and vibrations causing a crack in the receiver over lots of rounds. I plan to form 1 a lighter can here soon.

Anyways I continue to be impressed and am very happy, I got to the papoose after suffering what is the AR-7 for 4 different guns trying to get them to work....I'm so happy I found the papoose and some ideas to further improve my gun for my particular use.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm glad to hear is working out so well for you. I have Tech Sights on my 70 and they are fantastic. Mine prefers Blazer. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Mals
Old 11-09-2019, 01:56 PM
gunfossil
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too put a Tech Sight on my Papoose but couldn't keep the windage sighted in. There is a slight bit of slop between the 2 flats where the barrel meets the receiver allowing the barrel to twist from side to side a tiny bit. Not a problem when front and rear sights are on the barrel but with the rear on the receiver it wasn't reliable. Enter red dot.
Hope you have better luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 PM
CheckSix
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think they all wobble a little.
I put this on mine:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...265-53259.aspx

It is amazing how well it works. Even if your eyes won't let you use a v notch sight, you can use this one. I can loosen the barrel nut 1/4 turn without affecting accuracy.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Marlin567994
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On my 99M1 and 989M2 the barrels are tapered (like the Papoose) more than the 60s, 70s or 795s for the front tech sights. I used some folded and layered aluminum foil as a tapered shim plus a little spread of locktite blue to build up the barrel radius to install the front TechSight. Worked great. I let it run wild outside the sight base and trimmed with a razor blade. Obviously I had to drill and tap to mount the sight as well.