Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

A good looking Uberti 1873 .22Mag just sold

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bangbang 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It was news to me too. Winchester made 1873s in .22 Short and also in .22 Long. A friend found one of the .22 Long versions in an antique shop last Spring, it was missing side plates and links among other things, the shop was asking $25 but my friend got it for $15. He brought it to me and after gathering parts and a very long wait I delivered it to him a few weeks ago, it is a shooter again. It is nowhere as pretty as the auction item but is a real 1873 .22 that he has only around $400 in. It still needs a proper butt stock, the current one is a home-made oak item made many years ago. I have an original 1873 in 38-40, mine was made in 1887, same as my friend's .22 version.

#6 ·
They are the same size as the centerfire versions, parts from the centerfire rifles interchange with the rimfire rifles. I wanted it but the buyer wanted it more. By the look of it Uberti did a good job of the reproduction. My friend's is fun to shoot with the .22 Long ammo, I might've bid harder if the Uberti were a .22 Long Rifle.

#9 ·
If these are dimensionaly the same as the larger calibers, I can only assume they are even heavier due to the increase in metal left in the barrel. My 357 version is nice but heavy, though that is appreciate in 357. Not sure the weight would be appreciate while plinking with a 22?

#10 ·
It is a bit heavier. My 1873 is in 38-40, which is actually 40 caliber. My friend reports that he has it back from the gunsmith's shop, now the dust shield works as it should, as does the trigger block safety. A reproduction stock has also just arrived. Mike is 6'6", a good 270 pounds, the rifle looks like a toy in his hands.

#13 ·
My friend's rifle would be classified as a beater, though it now functions as it should. He is a talented woodworker and should be able to fit the new reproduction stock. The old handmade one has a 1.5" longer LOP which suits him, I'll give him a Limbsaver that will bring it back to a more useful length.

My 1873 is in 38-40, I have an 1892 half magazine SRC in the same caliber, it is a much handier firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.