Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 540x ???

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JG26_Irish 
#1 ·
Found one for sale for under $200. Appears the barrel is in the 22” range. Would be more of an indoor 50yd bench gun for my kiddos. Walk away or or it worth it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·

Not the best photo, but it made it home. It appears the stock was shortened and the barrel too. It happens to fit my wife perfect. Off to the indoor range to send a few brands of lead down the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
540X

They made a junior model with a shorter length of pull stock. Thes are exceptional shooters. I have two of the 540XR's. One with scope and one with the peeps. They are two of my best shooting rimfires.

If you wanted to replace the original peep sights, I still have the redfield peeps from my scoped rifle. Might be able to dig them out of the safe.

Irish

#8 ·
I met a guy from Texas that had bought a 540x new back in the early 70's, it never shot well. That is very uncharacteristic of this action and rifles. I cleaned up the chamber and lapped the bore and now it is laying SK Standard plus right in at 50yds.

I just picked up a 540X stock, already have an extra 580 action. Since 540X rifles are so hard to find in this area I'm just going to have to build my own. These are really sweet little rifles. I hope you show us some pictures and do a range report.

#9 ·
540XR

I met a guy from Texas that had bought a 540x new back in the early 70's, it never shot well. That is very uncharacteristic of this action and rifles. I cleaned up the chamber and lapped the bore and now it is laying SK Standard plus right in at 50yds.

I hope you show us some pictures and do a range report.
There are many shooters who never clean their rimfire rifles. I am not one of them. I cannot count the times that I bought a used rifle that someone thought was shot out or not very accurate and after cleaning it carefully and completely, had it shooting like a champ. Especially those with tighter match chambers are not happy when they become too dirty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.