Norinco's TU-KKW - neither a trainer nor a Mauser and both at the same time - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Norinco's TU-KKW - neither a trainer nor a Mauser and both at the same time

Hello to all,

I was lucky enough to spot this Chinese-made TU-KKW at my local gunshop a few days back - the newer version, known as the JW25 is not uncommon in France but these older TU-KKWs have become rather scarce on our side of the Atlantic.

The Chinese copy is quite close to the Third Reich KKW training rifle as far as the looks are concerned.

(KKW pictures taken from Bruno Guigues' book - http://www.kkw-dsm34-22lr.com/145-ge...aining-rifles/)

This rifle was made in 1992 (92xxxxx serial #) by Norinco (star within a double circle) and proofed in Mellrichstadt (Bavaria) in 1993 (KD year code). No Chinese marking whatsoever apart from the Norinco star - the proof marks are wholly (West) German, which is nice, as the rifle is supposed to emulate a Nazi trainer. It also bears the stamp of the importer: Frankonia Waffen Würzburg (FWW).

There is a kind of "rail" to attach the Norinco PU-style scope that went with the rifle.

The action is modeled on the Brno/CZ action.

Unlike the original Kleinkaliber Wehrsportgewehr (KKW), the TU-KKW is not a single-shot rifle and sports a five-shot magazine copied from Brno/CZ ones.

The standard WW2 K98k bayonet fits perfectly though the lesser diameter of the barrel shows above the bayonet.

The cleaning rod is accordingly smaller than the original K98k rod.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Desert Pete
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bonjour, Deejay. Good find on a nice rifle. Enjoy it. I find the serial number stamp interesting. The first three numbers are carefully aligned and the last four are not. Maybe the stamper suddenly realized it was quitting time and got in a hurry to finish up?
Old 07-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or maybe the stamper had a break for a quick saké before finishing his work?
(sorry for those of you who are of Chinese origin, but I can't remember what the Chinese equivalent of saké is!)

I have tried to study the serial numbers of those rifles sold in the US - apparently, most of them were in the 91xxxxx range (the earliest one I could find being 910009!), so I suppose they were imported into the US for a rather short time (before being banned?). They appeared on the French market in early 1992, so my guess is that the Chinese turned to the European market when they found out their TU-KKWs could not be sold in America any more.

Last edited by Deejay; 07-06-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice writeup and nice looking rifle, Deejay! I have one that is in the 9,10x,xxx range. It has all of the typical chinese markings and has a lighter finish on the wood and sling than yours does. My K98 bayonets do fit quite a bit better, with only a very fine gap between the barrel and guard. You didn't mention shooting yours, but my experience has been very good. Quite accurate out to 100 yards and a very smooth action. Great little rifle and the magazine does work with my CZ's, although it is a snug fit in them.
Here's mine at the range...
Old 07-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
The reason why there are so many Norinco firearms in Germany is that Frankonia started to form Norconia to import Chinese firearms.

https://www.frankonia-b2b.com/en/norconia/shop.html
Old 07-06-2019, 04:56 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The allure of these things has always escaped me. If it were a true KKW copy, it might be different, but as stated, it is neither a trainer or a Mauser/German rifle. An odd duck in my view.

One might be better off with a Romanian Cugir which at least copies the KKW fairly closely and was actually a trainer!
Old 07-06-2019, 05:11 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Certainly not a Mauser

Not only is the magazine a CZ/Brno copy, but so is the action - sort of a Model 1/Model 2 Brno copy.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Nice writeup and nice looking rifle, Deejay! I have one that is in the 9,10x,xxx range. It has all of the typical chinese markings and has a lighter finish on the wood and sling than yours does. My K98 bayonets do fit quite a bit better, with only a very fine gap between the barrel and guard. You didn't mention shooting yours, but my experience has been very good. Quite accurate out to 100 yards and a very smooth action. Great little rifle and the magazine does work with my CZ's, although it is a snug fit in them.
Here's mine at the range...
Azimuth, you have the original TU-KKW sling - mine is a K98k repro sling.

I bought the rifle two days ago and couldn't go to the range today, but I will use a scope on it, as my eyes are not good enough to use the extreeemely virile Mauser-type sights

Thank you for your input
Old 07-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
The reason why there are so many Norinco firearms in Germany is that Frankonia started to form Norconia to import Chinese firearms.

https://www.frankonia-b2b.com/en/norconia/shop.html
I also have a much more recent JW25 rifle - it is a "Norconia".
Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
The allure of these things has always escaped me. If it were a true KKW copy, it might be different, but as stated, it is neither a trainer or a Mauser/German rifle. An odd duck in my view.

One might be better off with a Romanian Cugir which at least copies the KKW fairly closely and was actually a trainer!
They are quite affordable, that's why - mine cost me less than $135.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:37 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
They are quite affordable, that's why - mine cost me less than $135.
Well, at that price, I'd probably have to have one too.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Well, at that price, I'd probably have to have one too.
I'm not sure they go for the same price in the US, although they should not be worth much more than the price I paid...
Old 07-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
I'm not sure they go for the same price in the US, although they should not be worth much more than the price I paid...
They're significantly more ($400+) here, sadly. I've owned a couple but was convinced to sell them for a lot more than I paid Wish I still had one though, I'd really love a genuine KKW but they're out of my reach financially.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Original KKWs are extremely rare in France. DSM 34 rifles are available, though, and I am lucky enough to have one, but they usually sell for $1000 and more - sporterized ones ( sadly the vast majority of them!) will cost half that money.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:07 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice write up, great pictures - thank you.

I wouldn't think that there'd be many in the USA since the 1993 ban, but Canada is probably a different story.