New Model 41 Back Service - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:22 PM
Hondo44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

It's not surprising how the fine machining marks will grip the fired cases, especially in tight chambers.

I solved the same problem on my son's new Mod 41 by just polishing out the minor chamber machining marks with Mother's Mag wheel polish on a cleaning mop turned by a cordless drill. Wanted to retain tight chamber specs, so no sandpaper or reaming.

Functions perfectly every time with any ammo.

First used that method successfully on 22 revolver chambers.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:41 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Deaconblue,
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely be shooting it a lot. I will try to wear that thing out.

Hondo44,

The mothers mag polish sounds like it would work well. If the one from S&W still does not work maybe that will be my next step. That or either 2000 grit wet sand paper on a wood dowel glued to the dowel.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 PM
rt11002003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a pair of newer Models 41 and Models 422 along with a Hammerli Xesse Sport, four Ruger pistols (Mkii and Mkiii) and several .22lr rifles. None of them seem to be finicky about ammo. Have never experienced any extraction problems. I clean the chambers regularly using a 1/4 inch brush. All of the guns have several thousand rounds fired. Not being a technical expert, I haven't given any thought about HV vs SV ammo. Shoot both. I discovered Aquila Pistol Match (Eley Prime) ammo and like it a lot. It seems quieter with less recoil. The only issue I have is that when the guns are cold the bolts have difficulty recycling. My single shot Aschutz rifle loves the stuff. Can hardly feel the recoil with its 28" bull barrel and the ammo is crazy accurate.When the bolts of the semiautos are warm, everything is fine. I've fired more than 10,000 rounds of ARMSCOR 38gr HV with little problem. My newest batch has about a 6-8 percent failure in all my guns. I need to contact them about that. I also like Aquila Super Extra HV (Eley Prime). All three of those ammo are relatively inexpensive. Not being a competitive shooter and a high volume user ammo price is an issue. I just went downstairs and looked at my ammo stock. I have variety of different ammo purchased when it was hard to find. The brands range from CCI minimags to Golden Bullets. I just kicked a bucket of Golden Bullets under this desk. My advice is listen to the experts. Make your own decisions.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:01 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the comment. You sound a lot like me as far as shooting goes. Just love it. Best therapy in the world. Just waiting on the return of my 41. Just came from the range where it started to drizzle. Cut my shooting short today, but still fun.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:08 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dear Jstansfield

First off, I hope that S&W gets your pistol fixed with a minimum of hassle. I own and shoot two model 41's with multiple barrels and do not quite go through as much ammo as you do but it is close. I only buy 2 to 4 cases a year, 10,000 to 20,000 rounds.

Secondly, if you are hitting a 1 inch steel at 25 yards most of the time, I got a spot on my bullseye team for you. You are shooting consistently in the 90s slow fire and that is master/high master territory. Post a video if you can.

I have a steel plate range set up at various yardages up to 310 yards. set up for centerfire and rimfire, pistol and rifle. what i find is that I can hear the plink of the bullet on steel better with the subsonic as opposed to the HV ammo.

Again, if you could post a video of you nailing that 1 incher at 25 yards that would be awesome.

Regards,
Cranky

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 10-25-2019, 07:11 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Crankythunder.

I really do need to get a video together with the 41,My Mark's and my Rifles. I ended up yesterday putting another 1" plate on my range. I think I will take a picture from my 25 yard line of my range and post it hopefully tomorrow. Every year I keep adding more targets. It's like it use to be at the old fairs shooting gallery. I am not like Hickok45's range. Where he has targets and a big gong up to a 100 yards away. I have a really big sink, where I live in Kentucky every one lives on top of a cave system. (Mammoth Cave) so my sink that my range is in is surrounded by a minimum of 30 foot hills all the way around. The range is perfect for my steel plate range. I hope to find a spot where I can remove more trees and one day make a 100 yard range. But that would take a bull dozer. My 25 yard right now really satisfies me and everything that I want it to be. I think counting the two dueling tree's and both 1" plates I have a total of 26 plates / animals to shoot at. All are AR500 a few are 1/4" thick but almost all of them are 3/8" thick hung on chain and AR500 swingers.

Those 1" plates you really have to concentrate on trigger control. If you pull that trigger to fast at all you will not hit it. I use to have a 2" plate as the smallest on my range but it just was really to easy to hit at 25 yards. Especially with the rifles.

With my pistols off hand on those 1" plates. If I take 10 shots at them I will hit probably 6 or 7 times out of that 10 times on a good day. I shoot usually sitting at a picnic table with out my elbows resting on the table or my mid section leaning on the table. So really just sitting.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:56 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hey Jstandfield

If you are shooting a brick a week, I am sure that you can stash some cash in the cookie jar to save up for a case of ammo. Doesnt seam to be a problem picking up a new barrel for a gun you just sent back to smith and wesson that you cannot shoot till it gets back???????

I see a case of aguilla super match extra for 180 bucks delivered is a %%%% good price. If you insist on shooting the High Velocity stuff, they have a case of the HV soild point and a case of the HV hollow point for the same price. I cannot imagine that you are getting that price over the counter at the local farm and fleet.

Do the math, buy in bulk and you will save enough for a field barrel for your model 41! Reconsider it there Jstanfield.

Personally, I am going to get a case of the aguilla, the CCI SV has been good to me although this last case I opened up has a couple of light loads that did not cycle the pardini and impacted about four inches low on the target. about one light load a brick which is concerning as a competition ammo. I know a number of competitors that are using the aguilla in the pardini without a problem but if it is a problem in the pardini, I can always use it in the 41s or the revolvers.

Cranky

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Crankythunder,
I have money but not just blowing money. Yes I shoot a box of 550 Federal Bulk a week which is $19.94 at Wal-Mart. I have never tried getting a case at a time of anything usually don't have that much money readily available.

But have been thinking about it after this post and I will see what I come up with for prices. I would really like to find 40 Grain HV at a good price. But the only one I know of is Remington Thunder bolts (I think they are 40 Grain) and that is just really, really dirty ammo.

Really do not have any desire right now to shoot SV ammo. HV plinks and shoots fine for me.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:05 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am one who had horrible luck with SW service. After 3 trips, my gun looked like a frankengun made from parts out of a refurbished parts barrel.

I had operational problems with mine and it was very picky with ammo. JB paste on a bore mop, chucked to a drill to polish the chamber fixed the ammo issues to where it would run anything.

Nevertheless, I was running subsonic ammo , and the breech face, chamber face and feed ramp were getting torn up . There were shards of metal and deformation . SW simply took a file to clean up the torn up metal. It would just beat itself up all over again.

When they work right, they are a delight to shoot and very accurate.

I gave mine 15 years before I gave up on it.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:02 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BadaBing,
To bad to hear that. I did turn in a S&W 617 that was returned fixed and shooting great.

I have another barrel already in and a new breach block that I just gotten in today. So if they start getting beat up I have spares. But S&W should replace them if they get to bad. I will have one barrel with a Vortex Venom on it 7" and the other barrel will have a 2X scope on it. Just change barrels and you are ready to go. I am also planning to buy a 5.5" barrel just for factory sights.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, it's been with the technician for two day's now. Hopefully by the end of the week it will be on it's way home.

I bought a wooden dowel rod that I will glue 2000 grit wet sandpaper on and polish the chamber with if it is not fixed by S&W. But that is the reason I bought new, just for their warranty.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:25 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Called S&W yesterday to check on my 41 status. They said they replaced the bolt and extractor, shot several rounds no problem.

Don't think I trust that, when I would have trouble extracting a round from the chamber with a screwdriver I don't see how that could be. I even replaced the extractor myself with a Volquartsen that held the round to the bolt tight.

So I will try it out when it gets back to see but I figure I will have to polish the chamber to get it functioning correctly. Already have everything needed to do that. Hoping all is good and don't have to mess with it, but betting I do.

Said it is in the shipping department, and it usually take 3 to 5 day to be shipped out. So it will be about three weeks total turnaround time. Not to bad.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:35 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the repair is not sufficient to fix the gun, your situation will not be too different from others that have reported here since S&W moved the Model 41 manufacture partially to the PC shop. I see stories here about the incompetent S&W repair people and it is not unheard of for the gun to go back multiple times to really fix it. Some come back marred from bad handling. S&W today has problems!

LDBennett
Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
LDBennett,

You are correct. I've bought S&W 686 got it in and the barrel was under torqued so I did not except it. I bought a 617 S&W revolver. Spit lead so bad sent it back came home fixed and running good. But took a trip to the factory.

The Model 41 built well but very tight chamber, still coming home. I have bought two other barrels for the 41. I have a barrel that is scoped 7" and a 5" that is factory sights. The 7" barrel that came on it has an RMR when it gets home. The two new barrels I can take a round drop in the chamber and the round falls all the way in with a plop sound very easily. Turn the barrel chamber down and the round falls out very easily. The original barrel sent back to the factory would not do that. Very stiff going in and had to extract them out by hand. So I know when the gun returns I will have to polish the chamber with some 2000 grit wet sand paper. I have a wooden rod that I will glue the sand paper on and polish away. Should not have to do that but it is what it is. Sometimes to have the Cadillac of 22 auto's you have to tweak them I guess.

I think all companies have cut quality costs / heads to save money by eliminating people in the quality department. They make the line workers do the quality checks now, and they are so packed with work that they have a really hard time doing the checks. Makes it our loss and seems that the companies are willing to take the hit at the repair stations and shipping cost to counter that. I think that would cost them more in the long run but must not.