Zephyr II: shots fired - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zephyr II: shots fired

New member/first post-Won a Gunbroker auction for a new Steyr Zephyr II package; assume it was a display item. 22 lr, Leupold Freedom 2-7x33 Rimfire scope and three magazines. Fairly nice wood with more figure in the forend. Added a Montana sling, followed Steyr's recommended barrel break-in and went shooting. First 5 shot group at 50 yards with Federal Hunter Match off a crummy rest, from a way out-of- practice, formerly decent shot...felt like I was wobbling all over the place. The rifle will surely do better. 20191004_141512_1571448602859.jpg20191004_141512_1571448602859.jpg20191004_141512_1571448602859.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191004_095653_1571448573573.jpg (350.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 06:36 AM
Shenandoah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome paradocs. Isn't the Zephyr II a joy to shoot !? I have one in .22wmr that I really enjoy. Try some better ammo if you aren't able to get your groups to tighten up. R50, SK Rifle Match, Eley Black Box, or the like. It's more expensive, but I've found that once a rifle is sighted in and thing's cool down a bit, a box will last a little while.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, I'm quite pleased with it so far. Pretty sure I'm the limiting factor and that group could be easily halved. Less than 50 rds through it so far; have a brick of the Federal so will continue to mess around, and try other ammo if we don't settle in. Trigger is perfect, imho. Are you in the Valley? I was supposed to go to a buddy's place next weekend to squirrel hunt; he has a cabin surrounded by the GWNF outside of Edinburg. My wife unfortunately took a bad fall Sunday and severely fractured her ankle...surgery next Wed., so all hunting on hold. I'm southeast of Richmond in Prince George.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 04:37 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nice rifle! Practice and a god rest will probably tighten up your groups.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:48 PM
D1kco

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! I have been lusting over these for quite a while.

Have been thinking about moving on a '88 Brno 2E to achieve it.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Shenandoah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs View Post
Yep, I'm quite pleased with it so far. Pretty sure I'm the limiting factor and that group could be easily halved. Less than 50 rds through it so far; have a brick of the Federal so will continue to mess around, and try other ammo if we don't settle in. Trigger is perfect, imho. Are you in the Valley? I was supposed to go to a buddy's place next weekend to squirrel hunt; he has a cabin surrounded by the GWNF outside of Edinburg. My wife unfortunately took a bad fall Sunday and severely fractured her ankle...surgery next Wed., so all hunting on hold. I'm southeast of Richmond in Prince George.
Wow! Very sorry for your wife, hope all goes well for you all. Yes, I live in the Valley. I'm about 15 miles from Edinburg. I'm sure you'll have a blast once thing's get back to normal for you.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:31 PM
bbmf1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
G'day from Downunder.

G'day sweet looking rifle , I bought one a couple of months ago ( a retirement gift to myself ) I found all the high class ammo I bought was only average in grouping and as I bought mine to hunt with I gave CCI mini mag high velocity hollow points a crack , what an eye opener one hole groups if my old man eyes do their bit ( winner ) my only dislike was the plastic magazine but I found a CZ steel magazine works a treat and luckily I had some 80's brno mags with steel base plates so a quick change over and the magazine is all steel I know the plastic ones work fine but on a rifle of this quality I wanted steel in my generation steel is real , in summation give some high velocity hunting ammo a go you may find like me it shoot one hole groups ( good luck)

Regards Paul .