Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 PM
Albert_Brooks
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need KKM guru

A long first post but first a little story before the questions and pics.

My Aunt & Uncle (Mother's older brother & wife) shot competitively from 1955 to 1968 when an accident prevented my Aunt from being able to do so any more. They did some of their competitions by mail with a group in England. Three times a year the 2 groups would mail targets to each other to be scored and the winner would get this little plastic loving cup to hold until they lost it.

In 1962 my Uncle decided they would get a pair of KKM's complete with accessory kits and scopes and sometime in 1963 they did. These were used until late 1968 in the case of my Aunt and until 1971 for my Uncle. After that they sat in the gun cabinet in the living room until my Uncle moved into a retirement community in 2017. My Aunt had died a few years before. Their daughter didn't want any of the guns so it fell to me to sell what I could and so far I'm down to these KKM's and one other rifle.

Now these KKM's sat in my gun safe until about a week ago when I decided to take one out and see what it could do. I cleaned and oiled it before going to the range and spent the day shooting 200 rounds through it using the match peep sights. I never would have believed a 22 could be so accurate at 100 yards.

Anyway, I come home and want to give it a really thorough cleaning to include bolt disassembly. It had been at least 45 years since that had been done so I figured it couldn't hurt. Looking up the manual I found one for a 1964 version and proceeded to follow the instructions on how to disassemble the bolt. Except mine didn't match the pictures. Where the manual had the safety lever on the left of the stock, mine was on the right.

Where it should go

Where it is.

Even removing the bolt and decocking it still put it 180 degrees out

No matter how much effort I put into it short of thinking I'm gonna break something I can't get the safety lever to the correct side or get the bolt disassembled.

So for those that know far more about this than I (which is just about everybody) what should I do next or does anybody know someone who specializes in KKM bolt repair?

Last edited by Albert_Brooks; 09-23-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
to RFC!

I wish that I knew more about those to help you, but I'm sure that someone else here will have the knowledge.

Last edited by JEE; 09-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 AM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Did you un-cock the bolt before turning the safety lever?

I have a KKM and the bolt comes apart without issue if the instructions in the attached link are followed precisely. I have found that you have to be very careful when reassembling the bolt - It comes apart easier than it goes back together

Also attaching a pic of my Walther bolt for comparison.

Hope you get it sorted

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...bore_rifle.pdf

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...pspo6ubc92.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Albert_Brooks
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the third pic shows the bolt uncocked. I already have the June 1964 manual, you can see it in my third pic also. My problem is that the safety lever is literally and physically 180 degrees out. I'm really not sure how the rifle works given that the lever is so far from where it should be.

If you rolled your bolt so that the groove was up your safety lever would be on the right side. Mine is on the left and I need to get it on the right. Now being on the left side might be the position it ends up in if I was starting to disassemble it but I also don't know how far to the left it is supposed to move when the manual says "Turn the safety lever fully to the left" If mine is already in that fully left position it should come apart but that isn't happening either.

Thanks for the help though.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Albert,

I've not disassembled a KKM bolt for some time, but from memory the end cap (w safety) fits around the striker. I think it blocks the striker as you engage the safety.

Somehow someone has inserted the end cap from the wrong direction, and jammed it. You might try flooding the end with penetrating oil to wiggle the cap out. You might need to hold back the firing pin, in case changing the alignment relieves the jam.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Albert_Brooks
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I did it now. The Safety lever doesn't move at all and I can't even get the bolt back in the rifle. Time to find a pro,
Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Albert_Brooks
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found my Walther guru and while not cheap it was within the range one would expect to pay for expert help. So if anybody else needs the absolute last word in fixing Walther rifles (maybe pistols too but I didn't ask) then Earl is your guy.

Earl's Service Center
2414 Pulaski-Giles Turnpike
Pearisburg, VA 24134

Hope this helps somebody else.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:14 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Albert, Earl is familiar to most Walther owners. If you are going to sell the rifle (s) you might list them here or in the for sale section of Walther Forums. I'm sure someone would be interested. Unless in State, you would have to simply mail FFL to FFL. 1917
Old 09-26-2019, 06:05 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps it's too late. Perhaps this won't help the OP. It might help someone.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Shipping long guns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Welcome Albert, Earl is familiar to most Walther owners. If you are going to sell the rifle (s) you might list them here or in the for sale section of Walther Forums. I'm sure someone would be interested. Unless in State, you would have to simply mail FFL to FFL. 1917
Very few states require FFL to FFL shipping for long guns.

Individual to FFL is usually about half the price...Tom