Help with information on this gun please - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:00 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Help with information on this gun please

A friend got this gun passed on to him. On the top of the barrel it says "Hawes Firearms Co. Los Angeles". On the right side in a circle it says "A. Uberti & C. Gardone VT Italy". Also "PSE XXIII". It will only chamber 22 shorts. Has a rotating firing pin, as such. Serial # 8797. Anyone know anything about it and would it be safe to shoot?

Last edited by mpolk; 03-02-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Deathrowdave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hawes

Hawes , first ones were seemed to be well made later ones seems to junk . I
thinking import from Germany , if I remember correctly . Mine were quality all steel guns . I have owed a single six clone and a red hawk clone in 44 Mag not one issue . But I hear the later single six models were cast with steel sleeve barrels .
Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They were an Italian made replica of the 1860's Sharps derringer. They were sold for a very low price in the 1960's and were not bad little guns. Had one when I was 18 years old and a gang member in Washington D.C. One night in 1969 in an alley off P street, it saved my life when I had to use it to keep from getting my skull bashed in with a crowbar. It took two rounds for it to stop the attack.

The Original Sharps was offered in .22 short, (The first self contained metallic cartridge) and later in .32 rimfire. These little guns were good self defense guns that could fit in a vest pocket with no trouble and always be there when needed. Very much like the North American Mini .22 revolvers today.

Uberti is an old line Italian maker that makes a lot of very good western replica guns.

The Sharps derringer and the Smith and Wesson model 1 were the first small pocket guns that used the self contained metallic cartridge. The demise of the original Sharps was the massive popularity of the Remington over under derringer in .41 rimfire. Flatter, more powerful than the Sharps.

Last edited by jackknife; 03-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 09:56 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
They were an Italian made replica of the 1860's Sharps derringer. They were sold for a very low price in the 1960's and were not bad little guns. Had one when I was 18 years old and a gang member in Washington D.C. One night in 1969 in an alley off P street, it saved my life when I had to use it to keep from getting my skull bashed in with a crowbar. It took two rounds for it to stop the attack.

The Original Sharps was offered in .22 short, (The first self contained metallic cartridge) and later in .32 rimfire. These little guns were good self defense guns that could fit in a vest pocket with no trouble and always be there when needed. Very much like the North American Mini .22 revolvers today.

Uberti is an old line Italian maker that makes a lot of very good western replica guns.

The Sharps derringer and the Smith and Wesson model 1 were the first small pocket guns that used the self contained metallic cartridge. The demise of the original Sharps was the massive popularity of the Remington over under derringer in .41 rimfire. Flatter, more powerful than the Sharps.
Thank you for the information.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 PM
BigLoop22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mpolk,

Uberti is the manufacturer. They are in Italy. I believe that "PSE XXIII" is the Italian date code. Hawes was an American importer & seller of firearms. The "PSE" could be an Italian/ Uberti inspector's mark. The "XXIII" indicates the year of manufacture: 1967, per this & other charts:

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/IDC/idc.html

BigLoop22
Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This is great information. Thanks to all!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:17 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice little repro!
For funnin around try some CB Shorts, way low pressure and will give an idea of what it is about.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:51 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That's what I told him to get. Thanks