What is the absolute best oil to periodically put on a new 1710's oiled walnut stock? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:11 AM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question What is the absolute best oil to periodically put on a new 1710's oiled walnut stock?

What is the absolute best oil to periodically put on a new 1710's oiled walnut stock?
Old 05-04-2021, 11:47 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
None. I have never seen an oil finished 1710 from the factory. I believe they have a clear lacquer finish. I suggest Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rennasain..._ts-doa-p_2_15
Old 05-04-2021, 01:14 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your post, VertFish.

It would appear that current models come with an oiled walnut stock:

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/inde...uktShow=detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 01:33 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (61)
I don't think the "oil" finish is really an oil that you would periodically add to. It is likely a finish that cures or dries like lacquer and you should be fine just doing as Vertfish recomends.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I and several of my shooting buddies have used this on their Anschutz rifles over the last 3 years with excellent results.
Including fixing some pretty rough scuff marks.
The Real Milk Paint Company's 100% pure Chinawood Tung oil.
https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/o...SAAEgJxOPD_BwE

Use Renaissance Wax on all of the Blued parts, and once you're happy with your cured oil finish, or any finish for that matter, you can/should use it on the stock.

This is one of my rifles that I used both Tung oil when I first received it, and then Renaissance Wax on the Stock as well as the Blued parts ever since.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-04-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:30 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
capeboer, as you are relatively new to RFC you may not yet be familiar with the posts of the late noremf, who the forum's expert on wood finishes and wood finishing.

He determined from correspondence with Anschutz that the finish on 1710/1712 rifles was a wiping varnish.

See his posts in this thread, especially post #4 https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=888362 See also post #7

Rather than adding another finish on top of the factory finish, consider using a top quality and excellent protective application for wood stocks -- Renaissance Wax. It is a microcrystalline wax used in museum conservation. Noremf himself described it as "THE wax that all others are compared to. Simple as that." https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...69&postcount=3

For a few more details on this excellent product, see https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1065610
Old 05-04-2021, 02:45 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gentlemen, thank you all !

Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish it shall be.

Last edited by capeboer; 05-04-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Capeboer,

Use Pilkington LINSEED STOCK RUBBING OIL available from Brownells.

Wipe it on the stock and let it set for a few minutes. Then wipe of with a soft rag. Let dry for 24 hours.

Don't wax your stock unless you plan on putting it in a museum. If you wax a stock that doesn't have the pores fully filled, it will be a bear to refinish.

Rubbing Oil

Frank

Last edited by FrankW; 05-04-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:25 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you, FrankW !
Old 05-04-2021, 06:29 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Another vote for Renaissance wax. I have used it on the stock of a 1710 I had in the past and on a few other wood stocks and it did a fantastic job.

Gilbert
Old 05-04-2021, 06:49 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wax off, wax on ...

I have never used wax on a stock, never thought of it 70 years ago. My dad would use a mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil on furniture and on gun stocks. I have always used it and been happy with it. Keep in mind, I started out as a kid without any money, so what I could do on my own was all I could do. I plinked and I hunted for the first half of my life and did not get into the shooting sports like skeet and trap until much later. My early guns had whatever factory finish they came with or else they got sanded down to wood and the turpentine/boiled linseed oil applied. A dull non-reflective weatherproof finish, perfect for hunting in the woods and fields of New England. The pictures here of waxed stocks look beautiful and I can see how much sense it makes to do stocks that way.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I have never used wax on a stock, never thought of it 70 years ago. My dad would use a mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil on furniture and on gun stocks. I have always used it and been happy with it. Keep in mind, I started out as a kid without any money, so what I could do on my own was all I could do. I plinked and I hunted for the first half of my life and did not get into the shooting sports like skeet and trap until much later. My early guns had whatever factory finish they came with or else they got sanded down to wood and the turpentine/boiled linseed oil applied. A dull non-reflective weatherproof finish, perfect for hunting in the woods and fields of New England. The pictures here of waxed stocks look beautiful and I can see how much sense it makes to do stocks that way.
I have spent some time working on the wooden windows in our old house, and the folks in that community call the mixture “Blopentine” and I am a fan of it. The turps help the oil penetrate deeply and for windows out in the weather the turps and the oil are a great preservative. I like the dullness myself.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 PM
Njpddet
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The timing of this post is perfect. I got a light scuff on my Anschutz yesterday and I’m sick over it. I’ve been reading posts from everywhere on suggestions. I’ve read about Howard’s Restore a Finish, and a host of many others. The mark seems to be a light scuff, not a deep scratch. Would you gents suggest Renaissance Gun wax for this type of application? If so, would you apply it to the entire stock for uniformity and protection? Please chime in.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'd rub some nose oil on the scuff to blend it in.
Nose oil? Yeah, you rub your finger up the side of her nose then rub that on a scuff or scratch; repeat a few times. A lot of light marks just need a little personal love.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM
journeyman2
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Greetings from a NY Certified Journeyman Furniture Finisher. High Flash Naptha will remove any wax and/or polish without damage to the finish. Change your cloth frequently.
Happy Trails