Validating scope/barrel alignment - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:35 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
re-center the reticle
Doug
And then lay the scope in the mounted rings to check alignment with the bore by looking thru the bore vs the scope.

I have a 6'H cedar privacy fence with knots in the wood I use for bore sighting 33yds from my gun bench window. My way worth 2 or maybe more.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:58 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
Though with my gun bench only 15' from my "work" desk, I just might take a quick look at it sometime this afternoon....
During a "coffee break", I removed the scope and rings. The bases of both rings did appear to be setup correctly for 11mm, one of the rings has a centering (?) screw but unfortunately when I line it up with the dovetail's dimples, the ring's base hangs over the front (or rear) edge of the rail by half its length, so I abandon using it.

I did notice there is some sort of fabric tape on the inside of the rings that has been haphazardly applied. Sometimes off center, sometimes twisted. If I get a chance over lunch, I'll try to bore/laser sight on a tree out back.

Last edited by tlbj6142; 05-04-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
During a "coffee break", I removed the scope and rings. The bases of both rings did appear to be setup correctly for 11mm, one of the rings has a centering (?) screw but unfortunately when I line it up with the dovetail's dimples, the ring's base hangs over the front (or rear) edge of the rail by half its length, so I abandon using it.

I did notice there is some sort of fabric tape on the inside of the rings that has been haphazardly applied. Sometimes off center, sometimes twisted. If I get a chance over lunch, I'll try to bore/laser sight on a tree out back.
Dont use that centering screw, thats for an airgun, to firmly keep the ring clamped to the receiver , it will mar the top of your receiver!

That laser aint gonna work outside.

Take the tape off! And flip one of the rings around so you are screwing it tight on the opposite side that the other one is screwed tight on.

Really, just take it back to the store you paid to properly mount the darn thing, be polite and request that they do it again. And ask if you can watch , so you can learn.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like bad scope rings to me, actually look at the rifle from above does the scope look off centre?

Trust your eyes they pick up these things remarkably well, the fabric may well be making the scope sit off centre, it sound very much some cheapo UTG scope rings I had many years ago that did the same thing.

Don't be a skinflint when it comes to scope rings as I was and paid for it. litterally!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Really, just take it back to the store you paid to properly mount the darn thing, be polite and request that they do it again. And ask if you can watch , so you can learn.
The same store has mounted another scope for me (for free) while I watched. The day I took the current setup to the range, I stopped by the store on the way home and told him about the far left alignment issue. He thought it might be the rings, I couldn't figure out why he didn't have me bring the rifle back into the store to inspect it. He's a good guy, maybe he was having a bad day plus I did sort of interrupt what he was doing when I came back.

I've been wanting to figure it out for myself anyway, I just didn't have scope levels (which will arrive tomorrow). Tonight, I plan to scrape the tape off and remove the underlying goo.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Tonight, I plan to scrape the tape off and remove the underlying goo.
Tape and goo???
Old 05-04-2021, 03:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Tape and goo???
Yep. It is a black fabric mesh "tape". When I peel the fabric off the sticky thin double-side tape goo is left behind. Nail polish remover helped but so did a bit of scraping. There is still some goo left behind.

That said, after re-installing the setup, I was able to laser sight in the windage (at 30') with 6-8 clicks from center! Much, much better than before. I need to move one of the mounts forward now that I see that my eye relief is a bit too far back, plus I'll level it tomorrow when the levels arrive.

So, things are looking much better even with the crappy mounts. Hopefully the 11mm-only-RFC-member-ebay mounts will be much better when they arrive.

Last edited by tlbj6142; 05-04-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:11 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Want to make sure I am understanding this.

You paid "a professional" to mount a scope and they used tape?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Want to make sure I am understanding this.

I was thinking the same thing tape?, also never put any kind of shim on the rings you will stress the tube of the scope.

Lee
Old 05-05-2021, 07:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
No the tape was already on the rings out of the box.

This morning, I think I found the root cause. One of the 4 bolt holes (do we really need 4 bolts per ring to hold a scope on a rimfire?) on the top piece of one of the rings is poorly aligned with the base of the ring. I would be willing to bet if I force a screw thru that hole it will result in a twist/bending of the whole ring. I'll probably just leave that screw out until I get my "better" rings later this weekend.

Last edited by tlbj6142; 05-05-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This device will tell you instantly if your rings are out of alignment with your bore.
You won't have to guess if that's the issue.
No other device that I know of can do that.

I won't go into explaining how it works because this link will cover that.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...&highlight=EXD

In addition (and more important than just helping you with your issue), this device is the fastest way to get a scope perfectly mounted out there.
It only needs a plumb line (any vertical line including door jams, window frame, edge of a building, fence post and on and on.
I use an actual plumb line at my house.

No additional levels need to be used, including one sitting on a scope cap, clamped to a barrel, or sitting on the usually impossible to find level area on your action.

Once you use it you'll be sold.
I have dozens of RFC members who have PM'd me after picking one up, and it's been 100% positive.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-05-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
To check and see if the rings line up with the barrel I bought a 3 foot long 1" piece of aluminum and I can see if everything lines up as far as the rings go.

Signalman
Old 05-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yep. It is a black fabric mesh "tape".
It is, was, there, to prevent rings marks on a scope.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:54 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wonder if the rings will hold the scope tight enough now?
Old 05-06-2021, 09:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
It is, was, there, to prevent rings marks on a scope.
If so, it was poorly applied as they were at odd angles and creased.