Seeking Advise For Target Scope - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:28 PM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

To be sure................it should say "Made in Oregon"
Old 05-04-2021, 12:29 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think they will focus down to 10yd if i remember right.

I could be wrong though.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:49 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
I mostly shoot on private property where the range distance isn't restricted, however I expect most of the target shooting to be 25-50yrds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
Thx all for the suggestions. To reiterate, this scope is strictly for bench-rest, punching paper. Rifle is strictly for target/bench-rest shooting. Weighs over 12lbs when ready to go. Most shooting distances will be 25-50 yrds. Occasionally I might leap out to 100-200 for grins.
I was probably thinking of my own shooting style when making the Vortex suggestion 284Yahoo. If I had easy access to private land with no distance restriction I would have 25 yard targets for pistol and offhand rifle, 50 yard and 100 yard targets for offhand and benchrest, and then golf balls on strings and steel swingers set up at assorted ranges out to 200-300 yards. Frankly, my idea of the perfect range is something like Hickok 45's shown below.

25 yard benchrest seems silly to me because any decent rifle/ammo combo should shoot bugholes at that range. It would be really difficult for me to test ammo and system improvements at that distance because the differences would be so small.

50 yards starts showing inconsistencies and 100 yards really tests equipment precision and shooter technique and wind reading abilities.

I suppose at my dream range I'd have a benchrest rifle with 36x or 45x fixed scope for punching paper at defined distance and then a Vudoo with a variable power tactical scope like I showed you that I could set up a dope book on for fast distance changes.

Anyway, get what you want and thanks for the brain food

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gund hickok 45.jpg (163.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:31 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
According to sightron the SII 36 will focus down to 15yds the SIII 36 down to 10yds and the 45x dow to 10yds as well
Old 05-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have purchased three Muellar scopes over the years and still have every one of them. They are pretty decent scopes, especially for their cost, and none have given me a problem.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had to return an Eraticator scope, it was promptly replaced with a new one. Excellent service IMHO.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:57 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
According to sightron the SII 36 will focus down to 15yds the SIII 36 down to 10yds and the 45x dow to 10yds as well
Is there such a scope as a SIII 36?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:15 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Is there such a scope as a SIII 36?
I didn't know there was until i went to comfirm how close they would focus but it was there on the website.

https://sightron.com/collections/sii...ition-36x45-ed
Old 05-05-2021, 06:02 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
I didn't know there was until i went to comfirm how close they would focus but it was there on the website.

https://sightron.com/collections/sii...ition-36x45-ed
Thank you. This must be the SIII 36X version of the SIII 45X Competition scope.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:22 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Sightron has generously donated one of the Slll 36X scopes to the Triple Crown of Rimfire. A first class company in all respects.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:32 PM
samven
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would suggest a fixed power scope just because you are more likely to get a clearer, brighter image in a fixed power vs the same mag on a variable. Fewer lenses and fewer moving parts also help with repeatability. Just keep in mind that you may go from 25 yds to 100 or even maybe 150 but most high magnification scopes wont have the adjustment range to make 200 or 300 yds.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:41 AM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yet another "how long is a piece of rope?" question

I've done a bit of rimfire silhouette and been confronted by the fact that, at 70, my eyesight just won't hold up through a match shooting iron sights out at 100 meters. First, for this type of shooting, a giant objective doesn't really mean much. The primary reason for a big objective is light-gathering, and low-light benchrest rimfire matches are pretty rare, in my experience. The more expensive scopes generally have more uniform adjustments with less backlash, and they generally have a wider range of eye relief, particularly at high power. Most cheap high-power scopes require very precise eye placement, which can be very annoying. On the other hand, shooting with one will tell you right away whether you're getting a consistent cheek weld. Fine crosshairs are better for target work, and many of us like some variation of the old Lee Dot. That saves the problem of trying to decide whether your crosshairs divide the bull into equal quadrants. If you're not going to mortgage the farm, or if you just don't like to rely on your scope adjustments (I don't) then a reticle with hold-over dots is a good investment.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:01 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my two penneth

I would say this,

I have had far to many scopes with all the bells and whistles on them and have gone for super high magnification only to be disappointed, when they didn't track correctly or simply where not clear enough to make good use of that 24X or 30X magnification.

years ago I had an old Leupold 4x33 VX series that I mounted on my Enfield No4 Enforcer in .308/7.62 the clarity was such you could pick out markers at 400 yards.

Now I'm not saying go out and get a x4 power but sometimes optical clarity beats magnification a super crystal clear scope like a Leupold will not need super high magnification I have the 3-9x40 Leupold Freedom that easily picks out bullet holes at 50 yards and if the weather is clear I can pick out bullet holes at 100 meters just. The only downside it that is has no parallax adjustment which means you have to refocus the ocular (rear) lens when changing distances

If I was in the OP's position I would opt for a 12 to 16 power high quality scope like a Redfield or Leupold but one with an adjustable objective or side focus, even better a fixed mag would be more purist

Don't do what I did and get some scope that can tell the time on three planets and calls you wife to tell her the traffic is bad and you'll be home late.

My two penneth Kenneth
Old 05-07-2021, 09:51 AM
10XShooter
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A SWFA Super Sniper in 20X with MOA reticle for less than $400 Is a good way to go.
Have shot one on a .243 Wssm for years. still tracts. Paralax adj is front of the eye piece, not on the side. but works good.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:03 AM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Well, thx again to all for your suggestions. I committed to a Sightron Sll 36x42mm. That one as most of you all know already, was purpose built for target shooting, has plenty of fine AO adjustment range, reputable tracking system, fine crosshairs with dot, fair glass, very good glass for the money we like to say, and transferable lifetime warranty with good customer support. As mentioned though, the eye box is small, so I will have to concentrate on cheek weld, which is par for the course. Got a new one coming well below my budget. Looking forward to trying it out.