Lubricating and adjusting sights on Victor - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Regarding the off-eye blocking:
Now I wish I had saved those lightly 'sticky' films they put over led read-outs on so many things like microwaves, etc. Bet they would stick to a glasses lens nicely and peel off clean.
Hmmm, maybe I should stop at the cheap wristwatch dept. of our Walmart, think I remember a round peel-off on the last watch I got; precut for glasses?

Last edited by gcrank1; 05-03-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will leave the sight where it is now, fire ten rounds at a slow-fire target tomorrow, and try to post it here, along with a photo of the rear sight tomorrow afternoon.

This will answer the question of how to get to to shoot where I want, but I also have the "problem" that the screws might be dirty, or sticking - adjusting the sights is difficult because the adjustments aren't "linear".

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:09 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Maybe it is time to send the sight off to get 'blueprinted' and not be frustrated with it being sub-par.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:01 AM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
I was reading up on these threads, and these posts got me wondering if it's "easy" or "hard" to simply remove the entire rear sight, and spray it (give it a shower) with WD40, while turning the adjusting screws back and forth until they move freely. From what you wrote, I will make NO attempt to disassemble the rear sight.
There's no reason to remove the sight. You could take the slide off the frame pretty easily, to clean and lubricate the adjustment screws without disassembly of the sight. Probably avoid WD40, as it's not a lubricant. Maybe CLP is the right thing to use.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:12 AM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Regarding the off-eye blocking:
Now I wish I had saved those lightly 'sticky' films they put over led read-outs on so many things like microwaves, etc. Bet they would stick to a glasses lens nicely and peel off clean.
Hmmm, maybe I should stop at the cheap wristwatch dept. of our Walmart, think I remember a round peel-off on the last watch I got; precut for glasses?
The frosty, removable "scotch" tape would work. Some bullseye competitors swear by 3M brand Blenderm medical tape, as it's frosty, thick, slightly stretchy, and leaves no residue on your glasses. I've seen it recommended several times, but haven't yet tried it myself.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:53 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanx for that tip, FV; I'll check it out
Old 05-04-2021, 05:26 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Maybe it is time to send the sight off to get 'blueprinted' and not be frustrated with it being sub-par.
I took three guns to the range, the Victor, my X-Series, and my Nelson conversion. I started off shooting one handed, but today wasn't a good day for it. I didn't feel steady, it was too hot, and after ever couple of magazines, it was time for a water refill. The gun is still very picky about magazines - two of my new X-Series magazines worked, and the other two wouldn't go into the gun all the way. I have photos - will post them in a new thread. The sight seemed OK, but I didn't dare turn one of the adjustments, or I'd be messing with it for an hour or so. I need to spray it out with WD40, and turn both adjustment screws back and forth quite a bit. That, or follow my original plan for tonight, and replace the stock sights with the rail Roddy made for me.

The X-Series worked fine. It's nicely "boring" in the it never has nasty surprises for me. It just works.

As for the Nelson, with one hand I was incompetent (I need to eat more spinach, and dry fire forever), but with two hands I couldn't have asked for anything more. With two hands, the heavy weight doesn't bother me, and I shot it as well or better than any other gun I own, with the possible exception of my Python - but for a full 10 rounds, I will put it at the top of my list.

Then I got more hot and more tired, and came home.
I need to get to the range close to 9am when it opens, and the Florida Sun isn't so obnoxious.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:16 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to end all this without a good resolution, but I gave up. Roddy told me the optic sight he made for me would be much better, but I wanted to see how well I could use the iron sights. I guess I never really got good at it, but I got close.

I took things apart and mounted the special mount Roddy machined for me, to get the sight as close as possible to the bore axis. Not sure what sight to use, but for now I picked a Vortex Venom that was in my sights box - small, light, and lots of people think it's an excellent sight. I have my other one on my S&W Model 52.

I'll post the link here: http://www.sgrid.com/2021/IMG_4252.JPG

And I'll try to post a thumbnail image here as well, but that hasn't been working for me for a while now:

....that probably won't work, but the link up above works fine.

I put the sight more or less above the grips - maybe that's not the best possible place for it, but it's a start.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:18 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
"If you can't fight them, join them!" ......yeah, I sort of took your advice, but switched the whole thing last night for the rail Roddy made for me for optics. The best "small" sight I have is a Vortex Venom, so that went on the gun. At the range this morning, it took maybe half an hour to very slowly get it sighted in at 15 yards (the adjustment screws on the Vortex Venom sight make for a very tiny change for each "click").

When I was satisfied, I moved the target from 15 to 25 yards, and the holes were too low. Ten minutes or so later, it was shooting fine. I got a lovely target with a very small group - but with one hole headed off to Mars or someplace... My only issue was if I loaded more than one round at a time, the gun jammed. Time for a good cleaning.

For reasons I don't understand, most of the holes were in a very tight group, but I got "flyers" and couldn't shoot more than one round at a time. Then I switched to my X-Series, and while the group opened up slightly, there were no more flyers, and I got a great (for me) target both for slow fire, and rapid fire. I can post photos if anyone is interested.

Anyway, about your suggestion, if I keep hitting my head on a brick wall, all I'm going to get is a headache. Better to use a more appropriate tool.