Black nitriding question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Steven61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Black nitriding question

I have a barreled action that I want finished with the black nitride (ferritic nitrocarburizing) treatment, which involves heating the steel to around 1000 degrees. The barrel has a front sight ramp that was silver soldered/brazed on and I'm wondering whether that will affect the process/finish? I have an email about this into the company that offers the service and am waiting to hear back.

Just wondering whether anyone here has already been down this road already and whether the brazed joint had to be separated and cleaned before treatment or was it unaffected by the process or did the sight ramp come off the barrel? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2021, 02:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bump
Old 02-23-2021, 04:19 PM
Steven61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I heard back from H&M yesterday. They explained that if the ramp/front sight fell off in the tank, they would be unable to recover it (I guess they have separate tanks for small stuff). I'm now pretty sure that my ramp was put on with the Brownells low temperature silver solder, so I'll take it off before I send the rifle in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 07:39 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Remember, this process case hardens the material that is treated. Thin material will become brittle. I have had barrels treated, and steel 10/22 receivers treated. All items that I had the nitride treatment performed on came out awesome, but you need to completely disassemble everything. I left an ejector pin in a Browning Medalist because I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. After the Nitride treatment, it broke on the first shot.
Old Today, 11:52 AM
Steven61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Is there a rule of thumb about the smallest size parts you should have treated? H&M says no springs, which I get, but what about say, scope ring screws? (they don't need hardened; just thinking about color match) I want to get the trigger finger lever treated (so the color matches) and thought maybe the sear (which doesn't need to match color), but I'm not certain whether I should include them since they are already heat treated?

H&M says they have a lower temp process for heat treated parts:

"We can actually soften heat treated parts depending on the hardness and material. However we can process these parts under a special run that we call flash nitride. This will still give you all of the benefits of a normal nitride process, the only difference is the case depth will not be as deep. This process is a lower temperature and a shorter duration. We do this to minimize the chances of softening any heat treat parts."

I suppose I can ask them about whether their rule of thumb is to leave already heat treated parts alone. I can get the trigger lever to match pretty close with a spray finish if that's more prudent.