Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Savage Model 1919 -HELP-

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Sav22 
#1 · (Edited)
I was ecstatic that my research on this rifle led me here.

My grandpa recently gave me this rifle but it did not have a magazine. This was his first real gun, it has hung in his shop for decades.

I have been researching the magazines for this gun and I thought I found a reproduction magazine for it so I ordered it off eBay. I got it in the mail and it does not work, it doesn't fit nor lock in, not even close. The magazine is a "Triple K Products Number 962M (For SAVAGE NRA 19). Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to find a mag for this rifle?

EDIT ADDED 07/14/2023 Hey there, resurrecting this thread of mine as somebody pointed out I am missing the magazine release, would that be the only reason a magazine does not stay in place in the magwell? Does anybody know the proper magazine retainer this gun needs?

#3 ·
https://cfnparts.com/

Masonf15; The link above us out if stock on the Mdl 19s at present. But it would be worth your while to take a look-see and leave a "notify me" when he gets another one in. He lists 2 versions of the mdl 19. One is the later mdl of 1933 which might be yours.

If I see any other possibilities, I will send you a link(s). Just as a note, the mag.s are not cheap.

VH :eek:man:

#4 · (Edited)
Yours is an early 1923 version which started at serial number 23,000 and ended before 127,000 - the jump to an even number to start the 1933 version.

It takes any of the 5 shot straight magazines with the button on the bottom. Magazines can be problematic, the Triple-K magazines I have always seem to have feeding issues. Many of the original magazines may feed in one gun and not another, this is not as common in later 1923 version using later magazines, they seem to have got there tolerances more consistent. Savage put out a sheet with instructions for fitting these magazines, but I think this may just have been for early rifles.

The original magazines show up regularly on eBay and other sites but prices can vary quite a bit.

The early magazines will be marked on one side with 22 S, L, & LR and Savage info without a model listed, have a follower made from flat steel and usually have a two toned finish; transitional ones will be marked 22LONG RIFLE with Savage info on one side and SAVAGE SPORTER on the other and can have the flat steel follower or one formed from sheet metal; the later magazines will have the same 22 LONG RIFLE and Savage info markings but will be marked "23A SPORTER OR NRA MATCH RIFLE" on the other side and have the formed sheet metal follower.

Your gun has the original tall front sight but the rear folding sight has been added as was the dovetail for it, from what I can see of the holes on the rear of the receiver yours would have originally had a No 10 rear sight - it would mount with two different size screws, but that's not clear because of the angle of the picture.

ADDED - found my old picture of the sheet for fitting these magazines with my notes that I send with any of these magazines I sell, it's in PhotoBucket so it will not display very well, notice there is no mention of the Sporters so this may have only been needed for early guns -

#6 ·
Mason, your rifle does not have a magazine catch as you are thinking of one. Let's assume that the stock has not been removed and parts are missing.
Your magazine should have a button on the base plate. That button is for pushing forward with your thumb to release the magazine and drop it out of the rifle. Any magazine without that button will not work well, or at all, in your rifle.

I need to run, my wife is calling, so if anyone can post a picture of the correct magazine it will be of great help to this gentleman.

Ken

#7 ·
Here are the early 1919 NRA magazines (and a magazine well) for my two 1919 NRA's with serial numbers under 23,000. Note the soldered button. The magazines with the buttons are prone to breakage and this was a common repair.

Rectangle Font Metal Auto part Fashion accessory
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Nickel Gas
Brown Wood Table Wood stain Rectangle

My Savage 19-33 (sn 488xx) uses these magazines.

Composite material Auto part Fashion accessory Metal Electric blue

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Her's an aftermarket 7 shot magazine shown with the rear magazine retainer showing how it hold the rear rib, an original 5 shot will be almost even with the bottom of it. The retainer shown here is from the earliest version, in 1923 a claw shape ejector was added to it to eliminate parts. The front is just a spring to hold it back.
Tool Wood Fashion accessory Metal

Here's a front.

#9 ·
Her's an aftermarket 7 shot magazine shown with the rear magazine retainer showing how it hold the rear rib, an original 5 shot will be almost even with the bottom of it. The retainer shown here is from the earliest version, in 1923 a claw shape ejector was added to it to eliminate parts. The front is just a spring to hold it back.
View attachment 406218

Here's a front.
Hello Sav22. I have the same problen with my 1917 23A missing the mag release spring. I was wondering if you would mind drawing a detailed schematic with exact dimentions for me. I have the machine shop equipment and could make one and maybe help others as well. My mag is a 7-round reproduction and is slightly different than yours. Mine does not have the little rail spline portion below the end of the spring show in your pic. Your consideration would be greatly appreciated. Forum lionk to my rifle.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/gifted-an-old-savage-to-me.1292921/

#10 ·
There must be something on the "front" of the mag to keep it in pushed against the channel or iot would just fall out. Looks like the piece in your picture is for proper positioning against the bolt's bottom som it will pick up the round. Is there a spring pushing on the rounded portion of the mag?

#11 ·
Part #33 - rifles-sav/19nra This is for the later 1923 version, but that part should be the same on the early versions. The rea shown, #34, is the later version than pictured above, with the integral ejector 'claw'. Clicking on the part # will bring up a detail picture of #3, but it's not quite right, the parts should have more of a bend on the end like shown in the parts layout. I've made them out of metal banding straps, a little weaker than the originals but they seem to work fine.

#13 · (Edited)
Part #33 - rifles-sav/19nra This is for the later 1923 version, but that part should be the same on the early versions. The rea shown, #34, is the later version than pictured above, with the integral ejector 'claw'. Clicking on the part # will bring up a detail picture of #3, but it's not quite right, the parts should have more of a bend on the end like shown in the parts layout. I've made them out of metal banding straps, a little weaker than the originals but they seem to work fine.
View attachment 459906
Looks like I'll need to make the alignment part in #8 above as well. Guess it's the part that sets up the alignment against the bolt's bottom. Can you make me a schematic of it's measurements of it as well? I can use my milling machine to cut the slot. ( I'd buy you a cup of coffee next time I see you! LoL ) Thanks, Ron

#12 · (Edited)
That was a very fast response! A VERY BIG THANK Y0U! How the mag fits is still not quite clear to me. Does this pictured spring push against the rounded front portion of the mag to keep it in the groove? What keeps it locked in vertical alignment so the bolt can pick up a round?" Am I missing two pieces like your photo in your post #8 above? When I slide the mag up and down, in the slot, I don't feel a place where the mag should stop and lock even with the bolt closed.

#14 · (Edited)
My first effort to make a mag retainer. Maybe it doesn't even need a mag retainer as I was told twice. Gonna make the front spring and see if that will work. Maybe this was wasted effort making a mag retainer but I sure had a lot of fun doing it!

My rifle has to be an early model as it only has a four diget serial number.

#15 ·
That part is supposed to fit into the hole in the trigger guard and end up almost flush with the outside. I don't have one of those out of a gun to measure, just make it extra-long and then cut it off so it's close to flush. yours will probably work but doing that keeps it from bending.