Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

January Fun Shoots

7K views 129 replies 15 participants last post by  bugeye 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy New Year to everyone!!

Since many of us are nursing hangovers, we'll take it easy...

Winchester made some of the best rifles in the past.
How about their ammo?

(((Any target with Winchester ammo gets a 10 point bonus :t)))

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.* Coming into the rainy season here - I'll shoot what I got be they pellet or rifle.

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class (CL-1 only) is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks, Stan...

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 4 shots at each bull, going for one shot in each quadrant of the bull
Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max. Score 160

Shoot @ 8x

Class II Scoped Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/20039.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at:
2 eyes
2 ears
2 hands
2 shoes

Touching the edge counts 5 points

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean forehead shot...

Max score 80

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2896072/chromies6duck-pdf-june-20-2011-11-16-pm-134k?da=y

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at the bulls (All 12 of them).

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean skull shot...

Max score 120

Unlimited Scope setting

Oh.. Here's an alternate..
Grab an old deck of playing cards
You have 1 to 10 spots to hit. Take your pick.

Shoot 1 shot at each spot

All other score 0

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots touching the line score 5 points

Shots outside score 0.

Max. Score 120

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/users/01/5_halfdollars.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each half dollar. (all 5 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 100 points.

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2055895/pd-iron-sights-pdf-july-8-2010-6-16-pm-17k?da=y

Class III Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. (all 6 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 120 points

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

Attachments

See less See more
#60 · (Edited)
Very nice shooting gentlemen..:bthumb:

I love it when new toys arrive :Blasting_:gun4:,,the plan is one scoped, one with peeps,,, we are supposed to have a weekend full of sleet, snow and ice, so I’m sure I will have some time to get to know the better,,,right now my indoor range is only 28’ is that ok,, :Blasting_
John
And anyone thinking about a CMP, they where great I put this order in Monday, and missed the truck yesterday, signature required, no affiliation needed for the air guns just put in your order..

Attachments

#62 · (Edited)
Very nice shooting gentlemen..:bthumb:

I love it when new toys arrive :Blasting_:gun4:,,the plan is one scoped, one with peeps,,, we are supposed to have a weekend full of sleet, snow and ice, so I'm sure I will have some time to get to know the better,,,right now my indoor range is only 28' is that ok,, :Blasting_
John
And anyone thinking about a CMP, they where great I put this order in Monday, and missed the truck yesterday, signature required, no affiliation needed for the air guns just put in your order..
Welcome to the club, John... :bthumb: :bthumb:
(28' is close enough for govt work)

That's the best-kept secret in all rifledom.

You're gonna like those! I'm happy for ya! :)

:F

#63 ·
I usually don't have the correct ammunition for the bonus, but I did today, I broke out the super fine Winchester Wildcat! SO... I figured I'd shoot it in the 'ol Remington (my first .22, now my wife's) to keep things even.

RFC Alias: Raydar, First name: Ray
Score w/ bonus: 120 +10 ,Class: I Iron Sights
Scope: NA Iron sights: Stock
Rifle make: Remington Nylon 66 Ammo:Winchester Wildcat
Weather conditions: Indoors 33 Yds
Excuses: None

Attachments

#69 ·
Thanks Stan.
I think I paid about $25 for the Nylon 66 back when I was in high school. Remington guaranteed the stock against breakage but like a dumb teenager I was able to break it but Remington stood behind it and sent me a new stock, so I took better care of it since then. It shoots well and is a great plinker. I do think they are appreciating, but there aren't may firearms that aren't.

Great job Ray... :bthumb:

I like the Remington. They're pretty pricey now, last I looked :eek:

I've been off shooting little planes

#68 ·
Approximate distance in this shot was about 500'...

I was using a 100-400mm lens mounted on a Nikon D7500.

...the rest of the picture (uncropped)

Attachments

#72 · (Edited)
RFC Alias: Ewald
Score: See targets
Class 1, 2, & 3
Rifle: TC 22
Ammo: CMP Eley Bulk
Weather: Indoor Range
Excuses: Guy in the lane next to me was showing off to his girlfriend shooting an AR pistol with a very obnoxious muzzle break.

Today's setup was a test bed.

I had a new Argos Gen 2 BTR 6-24 for a B14R I ordered and picked up yesterday. The scope base and rings are on order for the B14R.

I had an American Defense mount I won at a 3 gun match in 2019 sitting unused. I mounted the Argos to my TC22 using the AD mount.

The AD mount is designed for an AR. The rings are way to high for the TC 22. I built up a cheek rest using pipe insulation.

Rifle note: My TC 22 is a year old. I used it for the the 2021 Steal Challenge season. The iron sites on it leave a lot to be desired in terms of precision shooting. I have wanted to see what it could do. On the test bed it stacked holes with bulk ammo if I did my part.

Scope Note: Lesson number 1: When playing with a scope with an illuminated reticle, remember to turn it off. Lesson number 2: Keep a spare battery in range bag for when you forget lesson #1. Lesson #3: Black cross hairs on a solid black target are challenging.

Attachments

#73 ·
Good shooting there Ewald... :bthumb: :bthumb: :bthumb:

#74 ·
Cold wet and rainy/snow here this weekend, good time to get to know my new toys
Spent the first day pulling them apart, lightly sanded the stocks oiled and cleaned everything “ boy where they dirty”and back together..:bthumb:

Then spent some time sighting them in and just shooting , getting used to them.. this is the first time I’ve shot a peep sight set up, I’ve got to say I like it, even with my eyes not what they used to be, it’s a lot of fun and works out fairly well…I can see a Rimfire set up like this down the road..

Shot both targets sitting up only supported with my elbow on the arm rest, fun stuff and challenging ,, Irons l&ll targets even though I shot the irons l, like I was supposed to shoot it scoped…in quarters :rolleyes:

Irons l & ll. At 28’
155/160 and 90/100
PJ / John
Daisy Avanti 853
AA Diobolo Field 8.4

Can’t wait to play with the scoped avanti to see how it does but from what I can tell they both shoot exceptionally well.. :Blasting_

Attachments

#77 ·
Nicely done John... :bthumb: :bthumb:

Can't wait to play with the scoped avanti to see how it does but from what I can tell they both shoot exceptionally well.. :Blasting_
I only shoot wadcutters in my two.
Does it make a difference, I don't know but I've had good results.

I may have to order one.

Jack
If I had room in the safes I'd have another one..

#76 ·
Hey Jack,
I get the feeling that they shoot them to see if they are in specs, if they are, they don’t do much to them, Stan might be able to add more to that , but mine looked good inside, other then like I said, dirty,,,
As for the trigger not as bad as I was expecting, short take up and break constantly about 2 1/2 lbs, not sure exactly but very shootable,, if you want I can put a guage on it and let you know. For now I’m going to shoot them like they are,,, my Marlin 60 is a lot worse… lol
As for power , I will add they are very underwhelming,,, FYI ,,they say they shoot 500 FPS ,, but it doesn’t feel like it ,even though I haven’t shot it through a chronograph..
but I can tell you my TX 200 is much more violent when it goes off, as it should being a springer..
:bthumb:
John
I wish I had picked one up sooner , for the price of a small Ammo purchase your set..

#78 ·
Thanks John. Everything I read says they are rated at 510 but 450 is the more realistic number from those who have chrono'ed them. And that is probably a good thing being a match rifle. I know my Diana shoots 950-1000 supposedly and has quite a recoil to it. And it looks like rebuild kits are still available.

#79 ·
January fun shoots

RFC Alias,__Sg1911________, First name__Steve________
Score w/ bonus___65+10=75_____,Class__11______,
Scope__Set @ 12___________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,Ruger 77/22________, Ammo,__winchester_______
Weather conditions__nice, 70's gusty wind__________
Excuses__Blame it on the Winchester ammo

RFC Alias,___Sg1911_______, First name___Steve_______
Score w/ bonus___115_____,Class_111_______,
Scope___18 x___________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,__Ruger 77/22______, Ammo,__Eley Club_______
Weather conditions____Nice, 70's, gusty wind________
Excuses__none

Attachments

#81 ·
Fun matches

Thanks Stan, I was in a rush to shoot a couple of targets with the weather as nice as it was yesterday. It was in the mid 70's yesterday but with the cold Front it is in the 30's this morning. Got to take advantage of the good days this time of the year. Seems a lot of shooters are snowed in. Had a couple of flyers with the Winchester ammo but what the heck, it is all fun.

#83 · (Edited)
I may have to switch to pellets for awhile with such harsh weather. I have an idea for a pellet trap. What say you Stan, John and Lee??

I got a bag of rubber mulch today and will fill a box with it. The pellets are about the size of paint balls. The box is 8 inches deep. I can get 30 feet in my basement. My 20 year old RWS Diana shoots 950-1000 so I am hoping it will stop them. I will use Diana for Class I Irons.

Jack

Attachments

#85 ·
I use a cereal box (small one) stuffed with duct seal.

Every now and then (when the box gets raggedy) I replace the box and pick the pellets out of the duct seal.
15 bucks worth of duct seal lasts me about two years.

#88 ·
Got a chance to shoot today :)

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 75/90; Class: (alternate) CL-3 scoped
Rifle: CZ 455 Varmint, Ammo: SK Pistol Match
Sights: Mueller 8-25 AO
Weather: 52 deg, light rain, wind 10 mph
Excuses: Sunspots...

Attachments

#90 ·
Tried the pellet trap out today. It seems to work fine. I did place it the 12 inch deep configuration. Made 1 windage adjustment.

7 dollars for the bag of rubber mulch which should be reusable many times over.

This RWS is rated at 1000 per second so I'm sure the daisy rated at 510 or so will be no issue at all.

I checked the E-store and my order processed on the 19th so it should not be far off.:D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.