Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

January Fun Shoots

7K views 129 replies 15 participants last post by  bugeye 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy New Year to everyone!!

Since many of us are nursing hangovers, we'll take it easy...

Winchester made some of the best rifles in the past.
How about their ammo?

(((Any target with Winchester ammo gets a 10 point bonus :t)))

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.* Coming into the rainy season here - I'll shoot what I got be they pellet or rifle.

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class (CL-1 only) is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks, Stan...

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 4 shots at each bull, going for one shot in each quadrant of the bull
Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max. Score 160

Shoot @ 8x

Class II Scoped Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/20039.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at:
2 eyes
2 ears
2 hands
2 shoes

Touching the edge counts 5 points

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean forehead shot...

Max score 80

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2896072/chromies6duck-pdf-june-20-2011-11-16-pm-134k?da=y

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at the bulls (All 12 of them).

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean skull shot...

Max score 120

Unlimited Scope setting

Oh.. Here's an alternate..
Grab an old deck of playing cards
You have 1 to 10 spots to hit. Take your pick.

Shoot 1 shot at each spot

All other score 0

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots touching the line score 5 points

Shots outside score 0.

Max. Score 120

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/users/01/5_halfdollars.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each half dollar. (all 5 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 100 points.

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2055895/pd-iron-sights-pdf-july-8-2010-6-16-pm-17k?da=y

Class III Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. (all 6 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 120 points

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
I'm just a novice with rifles and not only is this just the second time I've fired my CZ 457 rimfire (and only the third time I've shot a rifle) I just managed to get the scope sighted in at 25 yards today.

Hope to learn much from this forum!

The attached pic is of 8 shots fired one to each target at 25 yards on standard 8.5x11 letter paper. And I don't know whether I'm class 1 or 2 scoped.

RFC Alias,_cournot_________, First name_John___
Score w/ bonus___n/a_____,Class__Scoped 1 or 2_??_____,
Scope__Athlon 4-14x BTR____, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,__CZ 457 thumbhole___, Ammo, mix of Fed auto and CCI
Weather conditions__indoors__________
Excuses_Everything_

#34 ·
:Welcome: John :t

As long as your rifle is box stock, you can enter any class.

When you have a trigger job or switch barrels or switch stocks, that puts you in class 2 or 3

When you have a full bench rest rig or if your rifle weighs in excess of 10-1/2 pounds then class 3, please.

I have several 452s and 455s - they're all swell guns.

:F

#35 ·
:Welcome:...John, glad you stopped by. Go to the first page of this thread and you find all the rules and targets for this shoot provided by Cow54 (Stan) that you can print or
download for this months shoot. Stan changes the targets each month. It's lots of fun with good people here if you need help......:)

RFC Alias: Tomcat21 First name: Ted
Score160/160 Class 1 Scoped
Scope: Athlon Neos 4-12x 40mm Side Focus @ 8X
Rifle make: CZ 452 Lux Ammo: SK Std PLus
Weather conditions: Partly Sunny, 62F, very light winds
Excuses:

Score w/ bonus: 120/120 Class 1 Irons
Scope: Lyman Rear Aperture, Front Globe
Rifle make: Savage Model 19 N.R.A. Ammo: CCI SV
Weather conditions: Partly Sunny 62F, very light winds
Excuses:

Score 60/80 Class 2 Scoped
Scope: Athlon Neos 4-12x 40mm Side Focus @ 12X
Rifle make: CZ 452 Lux Ammo: SK Std PLus
Weather conditions: Partly Sunny, 62F, very light winds
Excuses: "The Wanderer"

Overall had a good day at the range, warm weather held for me, all was good until the guy I call the "wanderer" showed up. The range is in a Wild Life Management Area in South Alabama, has no range officer, so the we have to monitor ourselves. In the bottom photo I am set up on the 5th and last bench on the 25 yd. range. There is no berm between the 25 and 50 yd. range to my right. The "wanderer" sets up on the 5th and last bench to my right on the 50 yd. range. I now have to watch every move he makes because he will go down to check his target after every shot even though he has a scope on his rifle. He does not alert any one to his intentions, he just gets up and strolls down to his target. He will also get up and walk around to stand in front of his bench and look at his set up any time he feels like it. Just about drives me and others crazy, I have spoken to him in a nice friendly way about range rules and etiquette, others have spoken to him as well, goes in one ear and out the other. Now I just stop shooting, have a bottle of water and a snack and wait for him to leave. I envy those of you who have your own range or belong to a private club. Sorry for the long post.

#36 ·
Well done Ted... :bthumb: :bthumb: :bthumb:

Except for the wanderer.. I had to read the riot act to one guy who was bugging me.

(I'm still welcome at the range... The guy is not!!)

#38 ·
Question: Do the rules for using only ammo at 4.00 per box of 50 hold? Until Walmart started selling some Federal automatch, I couldn't get any ammo at under 8 cpr and even today there's nothing available on Ammoseek for under 8 cpr if you include shipping.

So CCI SV is not ok? Other than the random box of Automatch I bought, all my ammo costs at least $5 per box including shipping.

#39 ·
Yes.. on the CCI, go ahead and use that.

Ammo prices are way upside down.

I use AutoMatch, Agiila, Geco, Federales, mostly anything in a bulk box is okay for Class 1.

I forgot I had this:

Winchester rifles...

Winchester ammo...

Winchester CAMERA??

Attachments

#42 ·
Good shooting John! You did fine for a new shooter with a new rifle. I think you will find the rifle will improve the more rounds you shoot through it. My 455 took a couple hundred rounds before it settled down. And you will improve also with experience. Be sure and keep the chamber clean.

#43 ·
Thank you. I noticed that this rifle outshoots me. Most of the time it went where I aimed it when I didn't shake or move my head away from the optimal eye distance. I have a hard time finding the right rear rest using a cheap commercial rest and also a sock filled with plastic beads for duty and a bipod in front. Isn't there a rest somewhere that's a hard screw height adjustable rest topped by a sort of firm bean bag?

Also, after shooting the SV I tried out Geco and it shoots fantastically out of the rifle at 50 yards! My first couple of groups were under an inch.

#48 ·
More rain...

SOMEDAY I'll get to the range.

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 160/160 ; Class: C-1
Rifle: (AIRGUN) Daisy/Avanti 853 (Conroe), Ammo: H & N Sport (.177)
Sights: factory peeps
Weather: 46 deg, shooting indoors @ 10 yards
Excuses: Rainy day

The last target is just sighting-in :)

Attachments

#49 · (Edited)
Stan your making it tough on me,,, both of mine shipped today, “they say” there going to be here tomorrow,,, I can’t wait to get them and give them a try myself..:bthumb:
Great shooting buddy…
Oh quick question,,, I know they tune them up to specs before they ship, what have you done to yours if anything,, I’ve got all the info for the trigger job.

#50 ·
Stan your making it tough on me,,, both of mine shipped today, "they say" there going to be here tomorrow,,, I can't wait to get them and give them a try myself..:bthumb:
Great shooting buddy…
Oh quick question,,, I know they tune them up to specs before they ship, what have you done to yours if anything,, I've got all the info for the trigger job.
Rockin' and rollin' at the PuddleJumper ranch!!

My both came with adequate triggers, I didn't do anything but shoot 'em.
Try it out.. may not have to fix anything :)

My BIL had one with the front sight crooked, easy enough to fix...

Daisy parts are dirt cheap, in case you mess up :eek:hh:

:D

#52 · (Edited)
Lots of fine shooting all! Happy New Year too!

Oh, Im alive and well! The last 2 weeks I have been shooting centerfire guns as the weather is not for 22s ;) Ice cold..... Today the weather turned from 14F to 41F in 6 hours and its windy as you know where :(

But I will shoot some targets soon I hope. January and February is normaly the coldest months here so we will see :cool:

#56 ·
RFC Alias, Shorty123, First name Jack
Score 105/120,Class I Irons
Iron sights, Factory
Rifle make, 452 Ultra Lux, Ammo, CMP Eley bulk
Weather conditions 39 and cloudy and breezy
Excuses Had the rear tangent sight raised way to high to start

RFC Alias, Shorty123, First name Jack
Score 100/100,Class II Irons
Iron sights, BRNO
Rifle make, 455 Lux, Ammo, CMP Eley bulk
Weather conditions 39 and cloudy and breezy

Thanks Stan

Attachments

#57 ·
Hay, wadda you know...
First NON-rainy day in a while, spent some time at the range. :t

Score: 160/160 + 10 bonus pts; Class: C-1
Rifle: Wifama Wz-78, Ammo: Winchester 333 HP
Sights: Simmons 3-9 AO
Weather: 54 deg, cloudy
Excuses: Elderly ammo, a good 10 yrs or so since I bought Winchester

Attachments

#58 ·
(cont.)

Score: 115/120 ; Class: C-3
Rifle: CZ 455 (American) stainless, Ammo: SK Pistol Match
Sights: Weaver V24
Weather: 54 deg, cloudy
Excuses:

Attachments

#59 ·
Doin' a number on the irons, Jack? :t

Good shooting to you sir... :bthumb: :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.