Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

January Fun Shoots

7K views 129 replies 15 participants last post by  bugeye 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy New Year to everyone!!

Since many of us are nursing hangovers, we'll take it easy...

Winchester made some of the best rifles in the past.
How about their ammo?

(((Any target with Winchester ammo gets a 10 point bonus :t)))

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.* Coming into the rainy season here - I'll shoot what I got be they pellet or rifle.

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class (CL-1 only) is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks, Stan...

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 4 shots at each bull, going for one shot in each quadrant of the bull
Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max. Score 160

Shoot @ 8x

Class II Scoped Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/20039.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at:
2 eyes
2 ears
2 hands
2 shoes

Touching the edge counts 5 points

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean forehead shot...

Max score 80

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2896072/chromies6duck-pdf-june-20-2011-11-16-pm-134k?da=y

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at the bulls (All 12 of them).

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean skull shot...

Max score 120

Unlimited Scope setting

Oh.. Here's an alternate..
Grab an old deck of playing cards
You have 1 to 10 spots to hit. Take your pick.

Shoot 1 shot at each spot

All other score 0

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots touching the line score 5 points

Shots outside score 0.

Max. Score 120

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/users/01/5_halfdollars.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each half dollar. (all 5 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 100 points.

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2055895/pd-iron-sights-pdf-july-8-2010-6-16-pm-17k?da=y

Class III Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. (all 6 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 120 points

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the kind words :)

My range is closed for new year's day, too snowy to travel there till sometime next week.

Probably get some airgun action in the meantime.

Such is life out here...

:F

#5 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR:2p::1p :yippee::2p::1p:yippee::1p, Stan, Jack, Sean and everyone else who stops by.
Stan, very happy to see the January Fun Matches. Next Wed. 1/5/2022, weather will be good if forecast remains the same 67F, partly sunny, I will be at the range. I've already printed targets. Northwest Florida does get into the teens and twenties for several weeks during January and February, but also can get into high fifties and mid sixties for a day or two. I finished my radiation and chemo therapy in Jan. 2021 so even though its been a year my immune system is still low, so I have to be careful not to get a cold or flu and still have to wear a mask indoors. Jan. 3rd I go for my 4th quarter Cat Scan and if all goes well, I will only have to have a Cat Scan every 6 months. I still have more than a few Remingtons, Rugers and Marlins that need to see daylight. Thanks for keeping these matches going.......:)

#6 ·
Tomcat. Congrats on being a year past your last treatment. My wife is a breast cancer survivor. So I am with you heart and soul.

Happy new year to all. I am looking forward to getting home next week to the cold regions of Maine to get out and shoot again. This vacation life while nice and all,cruising socks for where my heart really is.

A big thank you for keeping these matches going. And let's all make good clean shots for the new year

#7 ·
Cow 54, I had big plans to participate this winter but my health is bad so it may be spring before I can shoot. Anyhow, thanks for keeping this forum going.
I read it every day to see how the shooting is going.

Tomcat21, Keeping my fingers crossed (praying:)) for you that you stay clean.

Everyone have a great 2022.

#8 ·
A lot of good vibes :t
You are in our thoughts Ted and Ron...

Shot yesterday on 1/01

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 100/100; Class: C-2 (irons)
Rifle: (AIRGUN) Weihrauch HW95, Ammo: H & N Sport (.177)
Sights: rear, Russian (snagged off a CM-2); front, factory
Weather: 27 deg, shooting indoors @ 10 yards
Excuses: Ammo change, I usually shoot domed pellets though this one,
I should have made windage corrections. Another 8 clicks left would nail it.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Dave, Ron and Stan, thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes. I wish all of you could have winter weather as good I have,
so you could continue the sport of shooting you like. Best wishes to all for 2022.

Ted

Stan, still trying to layout an indoor range to shoot my CMP Daisy 853, so far have not attained permission from the Senior Range Officer.
I will continue trying.

#11 ·
Stan, still trying to layout an indoor range to shoot my CMP Daisy 853, so far have not attained permission from the Senior Range Officer.
I will continue trying.
I have a big rec-room that I've taken over for my toys .
Tell her that you NEEED it!

Wicked fine shots there Stan
All in a day's work... :) . :D

#12 ·
Stan, that center target is the best two shot group I’ve ever seen.
Literally one hole.

And while I’ve got you, could you explain the workings of your little cannon.
It’s like nothing I’ve seen before.
Ron

#13 ·
And while I've got you, could you explain the workings of your little cannon.
It's like nothing I've seen before.
Ron
That's a 'Big Bang' cannon.. A carbide cannon.

https://www.bigbangcannons.com/

I've got two of the smaller sized (6"), one of the 10 inchers (the one in my picture), and one 15 inch.
They go B*O*O*M...!!

Edit: Holy cow... they're pricey! I was picking mine up on EBAY used, for under $25.00 (a few years ago).
Mine date from the 1930s to 1955 :)

#16 ·
Fresh start for the new year.

RFC Alias: Pipes1 First name: Robert
Score w/ bonus: 120/120 Class 3 Scoped
Scope: Sightron SV 10-50x60
Rifle make: CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis, Ammo: SK Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 5-7mph
Excuses: It was only around 40 degrees and I was freezing !!!

RFC Alias: Pipes1 First name: Robert
Score w/ bonus: 80/80 Class 2 Scoped
Scope: Sightron SV 10-50x60 @12x
Rifle make: CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis, Ammo: SK Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 5-7mph
Excuses: Every time I dial down to 12x it seems like the target moved back 100 yards. I am reminded of the respect I have for the guys shooting iron sights.

Attachments

#20 ·
Cannons huh, are we allowed to register scores with cannons too?

Cannon is 2-1/8" smooth bore; firing a patched round lead ball weighing about 2#; with anywhere from 1200 -1600 grains (approx 5 shots per pound of powder) of Fg depending on range. Free recoil is anywhere from 6 -10'. Cannon weighs roughly 300 #, (yes all 4 wheels are off the ground in mid recoil). The cannon is a 130% scale of a Hudson Bay swivel gun. When shooting cannister rounds we use a V-8 can filled with approx 2# of 50 cal. lead balls (can't miss at 50 Yds!).

Target is a 5 shot (6 o'clock hit is a one holer) group at 100 yards, one of our best! No the black dot in lower left corner is not a hole it is a paint spray spor. We have scored hits on a 4x4" steel plate at 600 yards!

Attachments

#24 ·
Another rainy day...

It's been an awfully wet December and January (so far).

I sure will be glad to see some sun but it's not in the forecast for now.

Guns and cameras don't like the rain. :eek:

#27 ·
Nicely done, Ray... :bthumb:

Wet outside here :eek: but we're used to that.

#28 ·
Rain.

Sure glad I have a place (like Ray) to shoot indoors :t

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 120/120 ; Class: C-3
Rifle: (AIRGUN) Daisy/Avanti 853 (stripes), Ammo: H & N Sport (.177)
Sights: factory peeps
Weather: 39 deg, shooting indoors @ 10 yards
Excuses: Rainy day

Attachments

#30 ·
That's a CMP refurbished $120.00 (delivered) Daisy.

I like it a LOT!!

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.