Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

December Fun Shoots

10K views 214 replies 16 participants last post by  Norwegianrimfire 
#1 · (Edited)
It's a sloppy wet beginning of December in the PNW...

Hay, it's Christmas time. Time for giving of gifts!

Is your tree up yet? Decorations hung?

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.* Coming into the rainy season here - I'll shoot what I got be they pellet or rifle.

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class (CL-1 only) is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks, Stan...

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/30010.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 10 shots at the deer.
Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max. Score 100

Shoot @ 8x

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.targets.ws/shooting-targets/scary-clown-target-2.pdf

There seems to be getting on to this website. Here's an alternate for you :)

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_113.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 3 shots at each bull in the balloons
Then shoot 1 shot at each button and the nose

Touching the edge counts 5 points

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean forehead shot...

Max score 120

Shoot @ 12X

(Don't clown around...) :D

**Here's the alternate target CL-2 scoped:

Just go for the centers of each bull, one shot each (all 12 of 'em)

A clean hit, score 10 points
Nicks count 5
Outside count zero

Max score 120

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_100.pdf

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at the bulls (All 12 of them).

Count 'em

Shots outside score 0

Max score 120/12x

**Important -- "any portion of the X to score as an X hit"

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/30015.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 10 shots at the crow.

Shots touching the line score 5 points

Shots outside score 0.

Max. Score 100

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_097.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. (all 6 of them) Use the black parts only

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Give yourself 5 bonus points for each 2 shots hitting the center bull cleanly

Max score 120 points.

Class III Irons
Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10134.pdf

Class III Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each center black bull. (all 4 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 120 points

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

:F

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
Good job Jack... :bthumb:

Re: inserts... If you can't SEE it, you can't HIT it!

Looks like you're doing alright :t

#39 ·
It was a rainy day to start but cleared by noon.
I got a few hours trigger time :D :D

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 120/120 + 30 bonus points : Class 2 irons
Score: 120/120 : Class 3 irons
Rifle: BRNO Model 4, Ammo: SK Biathlon
Sights: Brno sights
Weather: I got wet going to the range and coming back.
Excuses:

Attachments

#41 ·
As far as I know from the importer (Denny) that there were about 100 or so of these Biathlon trainers made from model 4 actions and Klinsky stocks by Aeron Brno.

Stock is very deep

Attachments

#42 ·
Pastprime/Hank

3 Targets - Class III Scoped

Score: 116-5x, SK Rifle Match.
Score: 118-7x, Eley Club.
Score: 119-8x, Eley Club.

Protektor rear bag, Caldwell Rock Front.
Rifle make: CZ 512, Bushnell Legend Ultra 3-9@9x
Weather conditions: Beautiful sunny day, 72 F, 0-6 mph.

This weather won't last long so I'm trying to make the most of it. Second time shooting this "new to me" rifle. Very lightly used before I bought it and showing signs of being a decent shooter with the ammunition it likes.

Attachments

#44 ·
Well done Hank... :bthumb: :bthumb: :bthumb:

I've started to use ELEY ammo more and more. It's a good shooting ammo :)

You were busy today Hank. Nice shooting! Like you say, we are going to lose our weather soon.
Also me.
There's snow in the forecast for next week.
We'll just have to see how THAT works out...

#46 ·
Great shooting Jack, Hank and Stan. It's hard to beat that marksmanship!
Every time I get in the safe to pull out a rifle, these two guys a looking at me like sad puppy dogs wanting to be played with, so I said, "ok lets see what you two can do!

RFC Alias: Raydar First name: Ray
Score w/ bonus: 100/100 Class: I Scoped
Scope: 2x LER Burris Iron sights: NA
Rifle make: Ruger Mk II Target 10" Ammo: Fed
Weather conditions: Indoors 33 Yds
Excuses__

RFC Alias: Raydar First name: Ray
Score w/ bonus: 85/100 Class: I Scoped
Scope: 2x LER Leoupold Iron sights: NA
Rifle make: Thompson Contender 10" Ammo: Fed
Weather conditions: Indoors 33 Yds
Excuses__

Attachments

#48 ·
I have been away from these for a long time due to an injury, I got back into shooting last year and just found these again.

Quick question for all. Where do I fit in? I am a CMP/NRA High power shooter that uses a dedicated 22lr upper to practice and shoot at home. I would like to use that upper to join in. Here are the details
Rifle Lower Rock River AR
Upper CMMG dedicated 22LR, Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 scope
Federal; Automatch ammo
Position will be slung up

thanks for the help and hope to get a target up today or tomorrow
Dave

#54 ·
:Welcome: Dave... You'll like it here :t

Nicely done Ray and Ted... :bthumb: :bthumb:

Rainy day here.

#50 · (Edited)
Good shooting Jack, Hank, Stan and Ray!

RFC name: Tomcat21 First name: Ted
Score: 100/100 Class 1 irons
Rifle: Savage Model 19 NRA, Ammo: CCI SV
Sights: Factory Lyman front globe/rear aperture
Weather: Bright and Sunny, 72F, Winds variable 0-10 mph
Excuses: None today

Tried the crow target with the old Savage rifle with the odd looking rear aperture sight, gave up after 1/2 hour trying to zero it.
Switched to my other old Savage Model 19 NRA with Lyman Rear Aperture and Front Globe sights and shot target in photo below.

RFC name: Tomcat21 First name: Ted
Score: 100/100 Class 1 Scoped
Rifle: CZ 452 Lux, Ammo: CCI SV
Sights: Athlon Neos 4-12x 40mm Side Focus
Weather: Bright and Sunny, 72F, Winds variable 0-10 mph
Excuses: None today

Put a new Athlon Neos 4-12x 40mm Side Focus scope on my 452 Lux to try it out. Sighted it in and shot the deer target below, I was looking for an inexpensive scope to put on
an old Marlin Model 25 I have for my grandchildren to use when they go to visit their other grandfather in Alabama (he has his own range). I like this Athlon better than any other
inexpensive scope I have and that includes a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x 40mm A0 I have. ($102.19 on Amazon)

#59 ·
Thanks Hank, yes the Ruger Mk II is my favorite "grouse" gun. Here in WY during grouse season which runs concurrently with big game season you can shoot blue and ruffed grouse with a .22 or centerfire if you want; so I carry it to pluck the heads off the grouse when I run into them, it's great fun an a slow elk hunting day!

#58 ·
Ron I'm not sure the TC was out shot by the Ruger although the targets speak differently. The Leupold scope seems to have a slightly thicker plex cross hair than the Buris and I like the trigger on the Ruger a bit better but I would say if shot from a ransom rest they would both be very close. I'm betting the difference is more likely attributed to the shooter and not the guns..

#61 ·
Pastprime/Hank
Score 110/120, Class III Irons.
Protektor rear bag, Caldwell Rock Front.
Rifle make: Mossberg 44US(c), Mossberg S130 rear, S106 front, ammo: SK Maagazine.
Weather conditions: Cloudy, 60 F, 0-4 mph.

I changed the sights and a few things on a couple of the old Mossberg's and needed to re-zero the irons. Took about 1/2 box of ammunition to get it back and I used up most of my "good" vision. Things get pretty fuzzy after 15 or 20 minutes of shooting irons. I believe the rifle will be fine if I stop changing things and just shoot it...:).

Hank

Attachments

#63 ·
Good job Hank! Very close to cleaning it. I had a tough time with this target. I had 4.4 up front which is the biggest I got and still could have used a bigger insert for a clear halo around the target. Hindsight maybe I should have used a smaller insert for just the little black bull.

#64 ·
Class 3 fun shoot

Got a chance to get to the range to try a couple of targets. Messed up on the class 2 as I didn't follow the rules. Shot the buttons twice will have to try and redo it. Only have my class 3 target to post today.
RFC Alias,_sg 1911_________, First name___Steve_______
Score w/ bonus___120 w/9x_____,Class__111______,
Scope__Yes____________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,Ruger________, Ammo,__Eley Team_______
Weather conditions___Pc temp high 70's wind sw 10-20 mph_________
Excuses__

Attachments

#68 ·
Got a chance to get to the range to try a couple of targets. Messed up on the class 2 as I didn't follow the rules. Shot the buttons twice will have to try and redo it. Only have my class 3 target to post today.
RFC Alias,_sg 1911_________, First name___Steve_______
Score w/ bonus___120 w/9x_____,Class__111______,
Scope__Yes____________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,Ruger________, Ammo,__Eley Team_______
Weather conditions___Pc temp high 70's wind sw 10-20 mph_________
Excuses__
Very nice class III target, Steve. I lost count of the times I started shooting and could not remember how many shots at each bull. Now, I write that information on the bottom of each target. Works great if I don't take the wrong targets....:rolleyes:.

Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.