Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

November Fun Shoots

10K views 181 replies 16 participants last post by  COW 54 
#1 · (Edited)
It's November already??
Father Time doesn't fool around!

It's Thanksgiving season. Plenty of things here to be thankful for! :)

Thankful for RWS ammo. Any kind of RWS ammo or derivatives scores an extra 10 bonus points!!

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.* Coming into the rainy season here - I'll shoot what I got be they pellet or rifle.

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class (CL-1 only) is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks, Stan...

Class I Scoped Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_007.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at the each bull (All 5 of them.)
Use the whole bull, score 10 each
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Give yourself 5 bonus points for each 2 shots in the smaller bull

Max. Score 100

Shoot @ 8x

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2942330/happy-rats-2-zone-pdf-july-5-2011-12-38-am-54k?da=y

Class II Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at each bull and little bull (all 12 of them)

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points

Touching the edge counts 5 points

All other score 0

Bragging rights for a clean skull shot...

Max score 120

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_089.pdf

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at the bulls (All 15 of them).

Hits within the bull score 10 Points

Shots touching a line score 5 points

Shots outside score 0

Max score 150

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_041.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 10 shots at the bull. (All 1 of them.) Keep 'em in the black.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points

Shots touching the line score 5 points

Shots outside score 0. The 4,5 and 6 line don't count, they will be counted as zero

Max. Score 100

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2914274/25yard6duck-pdf-june-27-2011-12-34-am-129k?da=y

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each duck. (all 6 of them) Use the whole duck

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Give yourself 5 bonus points for each 2 shots hitting the 1" bull cleanly

Max score 120 points.

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/match/m7.pdf

Class III Irons

Shoot 3 shot at each animal. (all 4 of them)

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 120 points

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

Attachments

See less See more
#96 · (Edited)
RFC name: Tomcat21 name: Ted
Score: 105/120; Class: C-III Irons
Rifle: Savage Model 19 NRA, Ammo: CCI. Std Vel.
Sights: Lyman Rear Aperture, Lyman 17A Globe Front
Weather: 70 deg, Sunny
Excuses: Dang chicken kept jumping around!

The more I shoot this old Savage Model 19 NRA the more I like it Manufactured between 1933 and 1946,
it's either 3 years younger or 10 years older than my 78 years. It's in better condition than me too........:bthumb:

#97 · (Edited)
RFC name: Tomcat21 name: Ted
Score: 130/150; Class: C-III Scope
Rifle: CZ 457 At-One Ammo: Wolf Match
Sights:Weaver V24 Classic 6.5 -24x 42mm AO @ 20x
Weather: 70 deg, Sunny
Excuses: No excuses on a beautiful Autumn day!

Shouldn't have missed the shots in row 3 or 4, I earned both of the -5's......:mad:

#102 ·
Nice shooting Ted... :bthumb: :bthumb:

I usually have trouble with the goats.

:F

#103 ·
I was all set to go to the range...

It's a little bit too rainy to go there, darn the bad luck.

The airgunz may have their chance, we'll see in a little while :)

To all those that served... THANK YOU!!

:F :F :F

#105 ·
Rained this morning, it's still raining now.

In spite of it all, got a chance to have a little springer fun :)

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 100/100 + 10 bonus; Class: C-1
Rifle: (AIRGUN) Weihrauch HW30S, Ammo: RWS Hobby (.177)
Sights: rear, Russian (snagged off a CM-2); front, factory
Weather: 46 deg, shooting indoors @ 10 yards
Excuses: Shooting OFFHAND and STANDING

Attachments

#108 ·
Thanks Jack and Øystein...

I really want to try this target when the rainy weather stops,
(with a .22 of course) to see if I can still do it!

#109 ·
Pastprime/Hank
Score 100/100, Class I Irons.
Protektor rear bad, Caldwell Rock Front.
Rifle make: Mossberg 42M, CCI SV.
Weather conditions:Mostly Sunny, 64F, 0-6 mph.
Excuses: Trying to decide on the best one...:confused:

Almost finished with my latest acquisition. Just need a front sight hood. red and green pegs, and an aperture for the rear. Shot with the rear sight and lollipop front post. Had the windage set pretty good but never got the elevation right. The rifle will group better

Hank

Attachments

#111 ·
Thank, Jack. I found a couple old Mossberg's recently and always a sucker for the older rifles. The 44US(a) is my heavy rifle for class II and III if I can see the target) and the 42M is good for class I and maybe the other two depending on the targets. Both needed a few small parts and a good cleaning, but both seem to be accurate enough for the matches. The old vision is slipping away as happens but I enjoy the non-scope shooting so I'll do it as long as I'm having fun regardless of the scores....:).

Thanks for the part offer but I've got what I need coming already.

Hank

#115 ·
Good shooting Hank... :bthumb:

Another classic rifle,.. Now I know were they all go..

#120 ·
The weather gods let up the rain just enough for a range trip :t
Hay, I only took one rifle.

Sprinkling when I left the range, rain most assuredly when I got home...

Score: 90/100 + 10 bonus; Class: C-1
Rifle: CZ 452 Trainer (T-2), Ammo: RWS Geco Match (cost about $3.00)
Sights: BRNO sights
Weather: 42 deg, wind 2-3 mph
Excuses: Shooting OFFHAND and STANDING
I could use more practice...getting rusty in my old age! (I'll take the 90 points and call it good) :D

Score: 100/100 + 10 bonus; Class: C-1
Rifle: CZ 452 Trainer (T-2), Ammo: RWS Geco Match
Excuses: Rested

Score: 120/120 ; Class: C-3
Rifle: CZ 452 Trainer (T-2), Ammo: SK Standard +
Excuses: It was a short, productive range day :)

Attachments

#122 ·
Hank, the T-2 is one of my most accurate rifles. Pawn shop rescue to boot...

#127 ·
I don't know how you guys shoot when it is that cold!

Getting ready to head out to the range and only 51 degrees at 6:30am, here in Arizona. At that temperature I am looking at long johns, flannel shirt, gloves and a heavy coat. (Fortunately, it will warm up to 82 degrees by mid day.)

#129 ·
That's sounds pretty balmy, lol..

It's -2 C (30 F) here this morning with a fair bit of breeze.

I'm heading to the range myself, dressed about the same. I'll take a set
of insulated bibs just in case, but I doubt I'll need them.

One thing about this time of year, there are no mosquitoes, no black flies, and no ticks moving around.

#128 ·
Good shooting Stan. Offhand and rested! :bthumb:

With the weather starting to turn, I'll be glad I'm shooting indoors.

RFC Alias: Signmaster
First name: Bob
Score w/ bonus: 140 (120+20 bonus)
Class: C2 irons
Iron sights: Redfield 75 rear and 68 front
Rifle make: Remington 513T
Ammo: Federal AM22 Automatch
Weather conditions: indoor
Excuses: Nope

RFC Alias: Signmaster
First name: Bob
Score w/ bonus: 100/120
Class: C3 irons
Iron sights: Redfield 75 rear and 68 front
Rifle make: Remington 513T
Ammo: Federal AM22 Automatch
Weather conditions: indoor
Excuses: Nope

I think I figured out my best approach to get the bonus points on the ducks. As for the C3, I went to a thin post and didn't have time to try anything else.

But I've mostly figured these sights out.... for normal round targets. Now I have to get the post fronts and the strange shapes figured out better. Reached a point where my rest was the weak point.... now I upgraded to two pieces of foam on the narrow table bench! :eek:

I'm consistently putting them within 1/2" or so with bulk ammo on the round targets. I think I've reached a point where I might benefit from the better ammo now. Still some learning to do but enjoying shooting the peeps.

Strange, I thought I was already maybe too small on my back. Switched to a 1.6mm back app vs the 1.2 I've been using. WAY too much light and washing out smaller (>1.5") targets. I think I might actually be able to go smaller still in the rear.

The only downside to figuring out these peeps some is that soon I'll be shooting this combo better than my Rossi and cheap scope... very soon. On the up side, I've found that the rifle is probably single MOA capable at shorter distances.

Attachments

#133 ·
It's all finally starting to come together, mostly due to paying attention to what the good shooters here are explaining to me.

For the fronts I now have a set of the Lee Shaver inserts, minus the one medium sized post I lost at the range. It looks like the biggest I can go on targets for now is a bit smaller than the B2 we used for the C1 this month. So for now on larger targets I might have to go to the posts.

I reached a point where I had to modify my improvised rest setup and that helped as well. I knew it was hurting some, but figured until I can tighten up the sight understanding there wasn't much point. Now I'm reaching a point where using better ammo might actually help at times.

I finally took some time to do some proper testing on various front size vs best target sizes. I then tried the rear and found going bigger lets the targets wash out from too much light. I'm at 1.2mm and think I can go down smaller still. I found an old ad copy and the Master Disc rear inserts went from .035 up to .060, so right now I'm smack in the middle.

The biggest hurdle for me now is figuring out when to shoot which sized front, as well as upping my game with posts for POA vs adjustments. The strange shaped targets Stan tosses at us have me figuring it out slowly though. Finding that 1" with a surrounding duck is way harder than without a duck attached!

I have little doubt that at some point I'll spring for a better front option unless I can get more inserts. For the rear I'll probably go adjustable too. But right now I'm having an absolute blast with the peeps. I'm down to 1" targets and usually get a 5 shot group within 1/2" or really close, and have managed a sub 1/4 inch bughole as well.... even with bulk ammo.

I can't even imagine having fully adjustable front and rear, as it's amazing how well peeps shoot even with limited options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.