Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

June Fun Shoots

6K views 123 replies 15 participants last post by  Hawkeye57 
#1 · (Edited)
Supposed to go on an owl hunt today, but all the woods are full of people.
Rather stay home for another day.

Well, it's June... (almost)

Father's Day. :) I hope your getting something nice for the holiday.

Since June does NOT have an "R" in it, any target shot with REMINGTON ammo gets a 10 point bonus!

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class (CL-1 only) is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_007.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at the each bull. (All 5 of them.)

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points
Shots touching the line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max. Score 100

Shoot @ 8x

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/match/m7.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 3 shots at each animal, (all 4 of them)

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots touching the outer line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max score 120

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/match/m6.pdf

Class III Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at each animal (All 4 of them).

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots touching the outer line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max score 80

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 2 shots at the each bull. (All 4 of them.)

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines score 10 Points
Shots touching the line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0

Max. Score 80

Class II Irons
Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10136.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. (all 4 of them)

Only hit the middle white spot on the bull...

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 80 points.

Class III Irons
Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10147.pdf

Class III Irons

Shoot 1 shot at each bull. (all 9 of them)

Only hit the middle white spot on the bull...

Nicks count 5, shots outside score 0 points

Max score 90 points

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

:F

Attachments

See less See more
#82 ·
WOW, Sean! You're doing great in spite of the ammo... :bthumb: :bthumb:

#83 ·
Wrong targets, extra rounds, Golden Bullets.... no wonder it's called the Fun Shoots! :bthumb: Plenty of great shooting since I last posted, too many of you to keep up with.

I'm getting my butt kicked with the Remington still. Tried the posts and it wasn't worth shooting a C2 for score. Came to the realization that light is a huge factor at my range, and I need more of it. I think I'm going to go back to the round inserts and see where I can get with this thing. Though I'm getting whooped by these peeps so far, it's fun and challenging, so I'll keep doing it.

Until then, C1 irons it is!

Font Rectangle Material property Circle Pattern

#85 · (Edited)
Robert,

Aperture size plays a big role in using peep sights, both front and rear.

The more light that reaches your eye, the better.

For the rear aperture size, I like to have a small halo of light around the front globe. If it's too big, your head position will wander and so will your shots. Too small and the same thing happens, plus the sight picture will be dim.

Like a camera iris (F-stop), playing with the rear aperture size also affects depth of field of your vision. You won't be able to get the rear sight, front sight, and target all in clear focus.
The best you can hope for is to have the target clear and the front sight fairly clear. A diopter lens is a big help in that area for some eyes.
I don't find a diopter helps me, in fact I do better without it. I think it has something to do with the short barrel (20") on my peep sighted rifle, a Tikka. They're designed for a longer sight radius.

I use an adjustable iris on my rear sight, which you can adjust to suit different conditions on different days. Most days mine is set around 2.0-2.3 mm, that number depends a lot on how far your eye is from the rear sight and how big your front globe is. Barrel length is a factor too.

I use a standard 18mm Anschutz front globe, the actual aperture size depends on the target.

The key to using a post front sight is a six o'clock hold on the target, which is a pia since you need to adjust your sights for each different target.

Peep sights are a whole 'nother game but can be extremely accurate.

A friend of mine shot some F-class matches over the winter using peep sights and did quite well.

#86 ·
Good shooting there, Bob... :bthumb:

Pay attention to what Sean is saying. He speaks truth...

#88 ·
A very pleasant range day :)

I didn't shoot a card for the games. Didn't even take a rifle.

Alternated between two of my favorite pistols, a Beretta and a Colt 1911.

150 shots at several cards, two misses. Looks like I can still shoot a pistol :t

Attachments

#89 ·
Stan,

I always pay attention to ALL the good peep shooters comments and appreciate the support from you, Øystein, Sean, and Jack.

But Sean's post triggered an Aha! type moment, or maybe more of a Doh! type moment for me. You experienced peeps shooters should like this....

Please don't laugh too hard. I've shot military peep/posts in my active duty days, and always shot very well. Other than that, the only peep sight I ever shot that I recall was as a kid, a friend of a friend type thing plinking in a field. Ignorance is bliss.

Soooo....

After reading Sean's post, I got to thinking I should check out the size of my rear aperture. I had seen posts that noted most of the ones on the Redfield 75's were .050, and never really worried about it until I sorted things out better. I guess in my photos I posted nobody really noticed the rear disc wasn't the norm, even those that mentioned adjustable rears and such.

So I'm thinking... my barrel is longer than Sean's, my front globe is smaller (Redfield 68), and assuming eye relief is about the same, I should have a smaller aperture for a similar sight picture. And I went to measure it. It was a full 3mm. Numbers now crunching in my head, I know this a long way from the .050 and whatever slightly larger "norm" I've seen posted about in the forums.

So I get digging to figure out what it is, and it's a Redfield Master Sight Disc. With no insert in it. I assumed the removable part was simply an adaptor for that sight.

Taking a break this evening, I fashioned a quick and crude app insert that was 1/16" (.0625) and what a difference in sight picture. I might make a couple more crude inserts to test things with, then decide if I want to just order a couple fixed aperture discs or go ahead and order an adjustable and be done with it.

I'm hoping this was the majority of the issue. I feel kind of red faced over it, but at least now my aging eyes and this 513T have a chance at redemption. :eek:

Glad you had a good range day with no rifles Stan. You should print some targets and enter a score in the offhand pistol shoots. There are some good shootings posting scores, and not much on the table at some distances. :bthumb:

#90 ·
That'd definitely give you some precision issues, Robert.

I have a receiver sight on my Winchester 94, I think it's a Lyman.

It came with 2 apertures, one is considerably larger than the other and designed for hunting use. It does 2 things, allows more light to reach your eye in dim light conditions, and lets you pick up the front sight quickly.

The second is, I think, 0.050" which gives a more precise sight picture.

If you're going to invest in a long term rear aperture, the Gehmann variables are excellent. I have one on my Tikka.

One thing to consider is that they come with a metric male thread which may be too large for your Redfield sight. If that's the case, you'd need an adapter, which adds length to the whole thing. A friend of mine did this, and his works fine but it is longer.
Most of the Redfields I've seen have the same thread as a Parker Hale sight. I don't know what it is, but it's small.

#92 ·
Since I already shot my Class 3 for the month, I thought I would have a little fun with this one.

RFC Alias: Pipes1, First name: Robert
Score: Just for fun
Scope: Vortex Strike Eagle 2-25x56 at 12x,
Rifle make: CZ 457 Precision Chassis, Ammo: SK Standard +
Weather conditions: 95 degrees and Calm
Excuses: Nope.

Attachments

#97 ·
Good shooting Robert! :bthumb:
Very impressive! ... :bthumb:

Kiler my CZ 452 realy like the SK Pistol Match, very good ammo :t
^^^ :yeahthat:^^^ Mine like the Pistol Match Special :)

Lee, don't worry about "keeping up", just shoot whenever you can! "FUN" shoots ya know...

#100 · (Edited)
I hope so at 100$ a brick
Wow, you guys are getting gouged big time! I think it's about 80-85 a brick here in Canuckistan dollars. Was yours being re-sold privately or was that from a dealer advertising on Gun Broker? I've not looked at the site.

I've had good luck with some lots of Pistol Match in my CZ and Tikka. The Annie isn't particularly fond of it, at least not the lot that I have. These days, ammo is ammo.

#99 ·
Anyone else having trouble shooting in the summer heat. Seems that as I "mature" the heat makes it uncomfortable and harder to concentrate on my target shooting. I wear light clothes and drink plenty of water but still don't shoot as well as in cooler weather. Guess it's just an :eek:man: thing.

Hank

#101 · (Edited)
101 today with 107 on tap for tomorrow (117 at the range).

NO shooting till it cools off.

...well, airguns (downstairs) will fit the bill :t

#105 · (Edited)
RFC Alias ,Midwest Swiss, First name Bret
Score w/ bonus 110 + 10 Rem. pts ,Class 2,
Scope BSA 2-20mm,
Pistol make ,Ruger mark 2 Gov target, Ammo, Rem. T-bolts
Weather conditions, wind @ 0-5 mph 72* temps.
Excuses, always well got my self a new pistol scope last year and just need more time
with the pistol, do miss the Beaman air pistol scope that one of the reticles fell off.
I haven't shot the pistol for a bit and have get that 1.75 lb trigger pull down again.
Was shooting some nice 5 shot groups but...but...these targets are a bit different aim dead center
and hope for the best...;)
This pistol has shot a ton of Rem. T-bolts and likes them.
But darn I am all out of Rem. T -bolts now.

Some nice shooting this month by all.
Didn't no if was going too get too the range this month.
Allot of family deals going on in my life, middle daughter getting married next
month, my oldest daughter found me last fall threw (23anMe) and was given up for adoption in
the late 70's and I did marry her real mom 5 years after the adoption.
So we are integrating are family's now, she has two full sisters.
All I can say is it is unbelievable and is going very smooth...:bthumb:

#108 ·
Good shooting Bret... :bthumb:

Also good to see you're one big happy family! :)

#112 · (Edited)
Hi guys finally slowed down enough in my month to get a target shot, really nice conditions hardly any wind and bright 85 deg day,,,:bthumb:

I shot the first round scoped ll with some Remington subsonic , wow this stuff is dirty, take a look at the spent cases , then moved on to the scoped lll with some SK long range match.. to finish it off I shot some out of position targets, standing supported and unsupported, and kneeling supported ,,, fun stuff..

PJ/ John
CZ 457 At-One
Dimondback 6-24 x50
Set on 12 for scoped ll and 24 for scoped lll
Remington subsonic and
SK Long Range Match
Both at 25 yards.
EX,, none got it done finally :Blasting_

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.