Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

April Fun Shoots

9K views 198 replies 16 participants last post by  Norwegianrimfire 
#1 ·
April showers bring May flowers, so it's said.

I've had enough already of the rain - I've got targets to shoot!

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Dare ya...

Attachments

See less See more
#127 ·
Well done Jack... :bthumb:

A Lux.. There's something I don't have.

You'll have to keep us all advised of the progress :)

:F

#129 ·
Just wanted to post a note of thanks for the encouragement for me as someone new to the sport and the fun provided by this group. It really got me hooked on target shooting.

I have been practicing on the ARA target the last couple weeks and entered my first ever club match today. Wind forecast from 14 to 25 with gusts up to 30mph almost scared me off but had a great time and came away with first place in factory class.

This sport is truly addicting!

Robert

#130 ·
Just wanted to post a note of thanks for the encouragement for me as someone new to the sport and the fun provided by this group. It really got me hooked on target shooting.

I have been practicing on the ARA target the last couple weeks and entered my first ever club match today. Wind forecast from 14 to 25 with gusts up to 30mph almost scared me off but had a great time and came away with first place in factory class.
Good first in class... :bthumb:

This sport is truly addicting!

Robert
We knew that :)

#136 ·
Gave it another try today and still just couldn't get all of those little critters.
I really thought I had it when I left the range but plug gage showed I just nicked the line on the bottom left.

RFC Alias: Pipes1, First name: Robert
Score: 55/60, Class: 3
Scope: Vortex Strike Eagle 2-25x56 at 25x,
Rifle make: CZ 457 Precision Chassis, Ammo: SK Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 70 degrees and light winds around 5mph
Excuses: Nope

Attachments

#138 ·
Beautiful picture Stan. :t

Robert, you are giving us some stiff competition. I got early this afternoon in an attempt to post the 50 and 100 yard match targets but too much wind and didn’t take the hand warmers to keep the ammo warmed up. Looking forward to May targets now.

Leej:D

#141 · (Edited)
Beautiful Duck Stan,
wow,, what kind is that. I don't know my ducks,,lol:bthumb:
That's a mandarin duck, not to be confused with a Peking Duck..

It's about like a wood duck...with whiskers.

We went down to a local park where there were sightings a day before, we got lucky!

I took 900 pictures and Mrs. Cow took 1100. All in less than in an hour.

One of the other photographers came from Bellingham (2 hrs north) to see it.

A mite uncommon...

Attachments

#142 ·
Nicely done Robert... :bthumb:

Moving dogs, moving gnomes. When will it stop!! :eek:

But anyway, good job on a tough target :)

#149 · (Edited)
Spinning gnomes, colorful ducks, and a whole lot of fun shooting going on up in this thread lately! I'm so far behind I can't catch up with everyone's efforts, but well done gents.

I see some people maxing the C2 scoped this month, but it seems like this one is hurting many of us. Add me to that list. That thing kicked my tail, but it was still fun. :bthumb:

RFC Alias: Signmaster
First name: Bob
Score: 60/120
Class: C2 Scoped
Scope: Simmons 4 x 32
Rifle make: Rossi RS 22
Ammo: Federal AM22
Weather conditions: inside
Excuses: Well, maybe.....

That crossfire hit really messed with me. They were blazing through ammo the whole time, probably fired 200 or more rounds in an hour, at least. But when the crossfire round hit my target, I heard what I thought was a weak report from my rifle. I saw what I thought was the hole from my shot, thinking it went in sideways or something.

I even checked to see if a round extracted and a new one chambered. Then I looked through the scope again and saw my target hole. The only thing I can figure is that we squeezed them off so close together that it sounded strange.

Or maybe the 9mm round crossed in front of mine, which was on a perfect trajectory to hit the target dead center, and my round bounced off it it. :D

I did think I actually saw something weird. Maybe I got a flash of his round in flight, or it impacting my target.

Either way, had fun and that one bad stray might have been influenced. The rest of them were me. Might shoot this one again with decent ammo and hopefully lacking Rambo's in both lanes. But with my hardware and skillset I don't know if it will improve much.

Attachments

#150 ·
Good job Bob... :bthumb:

Never mind about the crossfires, you did well!

#151 · (Edited)
Shot this a couple of days ago (Wed.)

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 115/120; Class: C-3
Rifle: BSA Intl Mark II, Ammo: ELEY Team
Sights: Parker-Hale (rear), Anschutz (front)
Weather: Nice pleasant day
Excuses:

BSA is the top rifle, the other rifle is my old Brno (they're both dated 1957)

#157 ·
I didn't even notice the skull at first. I doubt I would even notice the skull was there, much less be able to try and draw a sight picture on it.

Those are some great looking rifles Stan.... the BRNO looks well ahead of it's time.

As for the trials of public ranges, it's not always horrible. But there are days where anything precise is tougher for sure. Some days I can tune it out better than others. But I do envy the idea of an isolated spot with no distractions. Between that and the time limits of a busy place, that's the cost of living in suburbia around my area.

As much as I like Lee's idea, I doubt these fools would notice a couple 22 rounds sneaking in on their targets. This last guy probably put 100 or more on one target circle. At the 5 or 7 yards they were at, should have just blown the entire center out. :eek: But they didn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.