Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

February Fun Shoots

9K views 209 replies 15 participants last post by  Signmaster 
#1 ·
It's February already, sheesh!!

St. Valentine's day. You got your sweetie something special, didn't you?

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

https://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/silhtgts/silhtar-09.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 5 shots at the each animal. (All 2 of them.)

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line on the target background score 10 Points
Shots touching the outer line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 100

Shoot @ 8x

(Note: these are 1/5 scale. I used to shoot the very same targets at 100 yards.)

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/users/01/12_dimes.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at each dime on the target, (all 12 of them)

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots outside score 0

Max score 120

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_089.pdf

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at each target (All 15 of them).

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots outside score 0

Max score 150

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

https://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/silhtgts/silhtar-10.pdf
Class I Irons

Shoot 5 shots at each animal (all 2 of them)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points

Max score 100 points

(Note: these are 1/5 scale. I used to shoot the very same targets at 100 yards.)

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/Target-Black-Four.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull. (all 4 of them)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points, only use the black and the red center for score
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points

Max score 120 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/users/01/5_halfdollars.pdf

Class III Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each coin, (all 5 of them)

Completely in the coin, score 10; nicks count 5; outside count 0

Max score 100

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy! Stay safe!

See less See more
#111 ·
RFC Alias, leej, First Name Lee
Score w/bonus, 140/150, Class III scope/iron
Scope, Anschutz 8634 open sight
Rifle Make, Anschutz 9015 Black Air
Weather Conditions, 72 F indoor, 18F mostly cloudy
Excuses, OMG that bottom row will make you bug eyed. Will try again soon.

leej:D

#119 ·
Excuses, OMG that bottom row will make you bug eyed. Will try again soon.

leej:D
If I could see that bottom row at all with my 4X scope, I'm sure the crosshairs would cover it regardless. Thus, I have the perfect excuse to not try the target!

Good shooting all around Lee. You'll get that bottom row sorted out.

As for all this talk about snow, weather issues, etc... we are all in the same boat. I think the range where I shoot is trying to save a little on the power bill, and the temps at the indoor range have fallen drastically. I'd bet it was no warmer than 60-65 degrees when I was shooting yesterday. I mean, I had to wear a light hoodie to be comfortable! :D <snicker>

As much as I think some of the northern areas are great, shoveling out is not a long term goal. The farthest north I've ever lived was here in southeast VA, and unless I move close, it's probably the farthest north I'll ever live unless I can afford multiple homes.

Once you guys thaw out, you can look forward to the comfortable temps while some of us farther south are roasting in the humidity.

#113 ·
Fine shooting Lee... :bthumb: :bthumb: :bthumb:

Still a little iffy for going out today.

Shoveled the walk as far as the mailbox. That's enough!

Our birdbath

Attachments

#115 ·
It started for real about 6PM yesterday.

It's still coming down.

I have 2 lenses for the cameras due to be delivered TODAY - I don't think they're gonna make it.
(Oh, darn!)

A big pot of chili is on the stove bubbling away...

:F

#120 · (Edited)
Good ,Bad, and the ugly

You ever have one of those guns you really want to shoot good ,but it just doesn't live up to your expectations??

This Marlin 917v is for me, it shot well at one time, , before I started shooting regularly , but I think my standards have change, shooting good is ,all rounds touching at 50.

I've changed the stock, worked the trigger, added pillars and still only getting 1" groups at 50.. it will shoot 3 or 4 right on top of each other then throw a misery off to the side,, Ammo,gun, wind? :eek:,, so I think I just have to accept "minute of squirl" with this one and just shoot it for fun..

PJ, John
Scoped ||, 95/120
Marlin 917 V,
Athlon Helos ,6-24x50
CCI v max , 17 HMR
38 damp and light gusts

PS,, good shooting Lee, so that's how it's done,,,lol,,

Attachments

#127 ·
You ever have one of those guns you really want to shoot good ,but it just doesn't live up to your expectations??

I have a 457 American that every 5th shot either through right 1" high or left 1" high. Changed three scopes and tried credit card shims that Ken wrote about. Sent it back to CZ and was returned in about 4 weeks shims I made glued in. Has not thrown a shot in 250+ rounds since. Test target and gun returned with NO notes like do this don't do that.

Good shooting for a 17 from what I have seen with the exception of the group Stan posted last year.

Leej:D

#121 ·
Nicely done John... :bthumb:

A little touch of cabin fever had me shooting this, I went clockwise around the animals (ram, turkey, pig and chicken)
that way I could make course corrections as needed.
As it was it settled in very well. 3 shots in each with a springer (HW 30S) :)

Attachments

#122 ·
Caught a warm day so I had a first try at this match. I wasn't sure about how many targets were OK. I shot 2 each of class II, and as you would expect, the second was better both times. Let me know if I scored the iron sight target incorrectly. I wasn't sure which ring, but one of the other posts looked like the 1" radius was the correct one.

RFC Alias, Dunlop, First name Graham
Score w/ bonus 100, Class II,
Scope Vortex Crossfire II @ 9X
Rifle make, CZ 452 American (LH) (Yo-Dave trigger mod), Ammo, RWS Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 55 deg, light breeze
Excuses, Didn't read the rules carefully, shot at 9X vs 12X, probably didn't matter

Score w/ bonus 110, Class II,
Scope Vortex Crossfire II @ 9X
Rifle make, CZ 452 American (LH) (Yo-Dave trigger mod), Ammo, RWS Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 55 deg, light breeze
Excuses, Didn't read the rules carefully, shot at 9X vs 12X, probably didn't matter

Score w/ bonus 110, Class II,
Scope , Iron sights: X
Rifle make, CZ 452 Lux (LH), Ammo, RWS Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 57 deg, light breeze
Excuses - Not sure if I scored these correctly

Score w/ bonus 120, Class II,
Scope , Iron sights: X
Rifle make, CZ 452 Lux (LH), Ammo, Federal Gold Match
Weather conditions: 57 deg, light breeze
Excuses - Not sure if I scored these correctly

It may warm up enough before the end of the month to have a go at the class III targets.

Thanks.

#124 ·
:Welcome: Graham :)

Well done (scored okay as far as I can see)... :bthumb: :bthumb:

You can shoot as many targets as you like. We like pictures too (hint, hint).

#128 ·
Great shooting Stan with the springer.

:Welcome: Gram great shooting. Some of us post it all good bad and well those ugly ones also. When the weather or in my case post op recovery we shoot the pellets and proudly post them as well. All in good FUN.

Leej:D

#132 ·
A couple observations about CZs.

The problem with your rifle that they changed the barrel on was probably either a "bent" barrel or the shoulder where it touches the action wasn't square. When I say bent, I mean that it had a banana shape, maybe from stresses in the steel.

As to barrel support, both the CZs I've owned have shot better with at least one epoxy support shim in the stock channel under the barrel.

The 455 needed one a few inches in front of the action. The 452 Varmint works best with one directly above the swivel stud and a second one a few inches back towards the action.

Jaia had a long thread in the CZ forum about them a few years ago, they're really quite easy to do. If you wax the barrel channel first, you can pop them out later using a flat screwdriver if you want to remove them.

#135 · (Edited)
Easier to see rather than try to explain.. lol

I used 5 minute epoxy with some flour added to give it some stiffness.
A few coats of shoe polish on the barrel and buffed to a shine acts as a release agent.

I mixed the epoxy, then put a dab of it in the barrel channel. Maybe slightly smaller than a dime? Then lay the action in place and torque the screws, making sure the barrel is the last area to settle in place.

5 minute epoxy or not, I let it set up overnight, then removed the barreled action the next day. It should be a nice smooth surface, if not you can add more epoxy to touch it up.

Waxing the barrel channel first means the shims can be removed if you want, I've had good luck doing that.

This reduced the amount of vertical in my groups significantly.

Exact placement is something you'll have to experiment with.

#136 · (Edited)
Just can't seem to break that bottom row!
Tried 4 times today: 130, 135, 135 140

RFC Alias: Pipes1, First name: Robert
Score: 140/150 Class: 3
Scope: Vortex Strike Eagle 2-25x56 at 25x,
Rifle make: CZ 457 Precision Chassis, Ammo: SK Rifle Match
Weather conditions: 60 degrees and light winds
Excuses: Tried but couldn't come up with any.

Attachments

#137 ·
Just can't seem to break that bottom row!
Tried 4 times today: 130, 135, 135 140

RFC Alias: Pipes1, First name: Robert
Nicely done Robert... :bthumb:

You got to shoot! WOOT!!!

#143 ·
Finally some warm air :cool:

RFC Alias; Norwegianrimfire, First name: Øystein,
Score w/ bonus: 100/100 ,Class: C1 scoped,
Scope: Barska 3-12x40 @8,
Rifle make: CZ 457, Ammo: Old but good CCI SV
Weather conditions: Overcast, 0C/ 32F, no wind and them it started to rain :D
Excuses: Started to rain and stressed a little ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.