Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

October Fun Shoots

15K views 239 replies 15 participants last post by  LeeJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Fall is here!

I want to go easy on you guys for a change... :rolleyes:

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_007.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. Keep it in the round parts.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 100

Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_022.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at each bull, (all 5 of them)

Max score 100

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

http://freepdfhosting.com/55c8c1065f.pdf

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at each bull, (all 10 of them)

Shots outside score 0

Count 'em for score, best edge. To get an "X" the entire circle of the 10 ring will be missing.

Max score 100 10x

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/match/m7.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each animal.

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/6-diamonds.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull (all 6 of them) (black and the white parts count)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points

Max score 120 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3492314/6barney-pdf-january-28-2012-3-35-am-528k?da=y

Class III Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull, (all 6 of them) (1" sticky dots work well)

Max score 120

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy!

:F

My score for today, baby Box Brownie. 1934 - 1941

See less See more
#136 ·
Thank you Øystein and thank you for joining me in giving it a try. Was a challenge for sure and you did really well.

No, the scope has a problem. It is jumping around. These were shot with a Weaver T36. I was thinking and stated in my post it wasn't legal but it is because of the unlimited setting. So never the less I need to send the scope back. Was going to use the Vortex that I took off of the Trainer but while setting it in place I noticed that the rail was tilted (20 MOA 11mm x Picatinny). The rail is trash. I can see why so many people say to avoid stacking the scope mounting.

#138 ·
We historically have some good days in November. Our winters have been mild the last 3-4 years. Long term forecast now is warmer than average. If it hold's true I'll follow your lead. It was Fun.

Will try to get in the 50 and 100 yard open sight targets tomorrow. Jack is organizing the 100 yard match now.

Thank you Stan. :t

Lee:D

#143 · (Edited)
So I did the testing on Friday and Saturday.
(See post #76 for reference)

I replaced the Dip rails on both rifles from 0moa to 25moa, and mounted up a pair of NF Competitions

Took one box of the New RWS R50 #067 to the range.

First up was the 1727F-22 on Friday in tough wind conditons going from 0mph to 10+mph every 30 seconds at 50yds.:(
Shot 15 for sighter/foulers and then 10 for these two groups during the wind lulls. That took 25 minutes.

Next up was the 1416 BM on Saturday with very light winds at 100yds.
I'll be shooting a 100/200 yard match next Sunday which is why I chose 100yds.
Shot 15 for sighter/foulers and then 10 for these two groups.

Quite happy with the results to say the least.
However the real test will occur at matches over the next several weeks.
So will see.

Smooth

1727-F22 shot in tricky winds on Friday. Old photo.
Shoot. Wind on Friday
No shoot..Duh. Wind on Friday.

1416 Thumb Hole with a Benchmark Barrel, and using the SEB for this test along with a NF Competition. Old photo. No wind issues on Saturday.

#145 ·
Thank you Stan and John. The class one rifle ammo combo on all class targets was challenging and Fun. Was glad Øystein joined me so we could see measurable results. Øystein suggested to try again next month weather permitting.

Shot a couple of 100 open sight targets for the renewed match Jack volunteered to take on. It was a lesson in effects of wind.

this was one of the times I was waiting.

#146 ·
The class one rifle ammo combo on all class targets was challenging and Fun. Was glad Øystein joined me so we could see measurable results. Øystein suggested to try again next month weather permitting.
It sure was buddy :cool: I'm in November too if the weather is on my side. I see the weather forcast is sayng snow next week :eek:

Hope I make the 452 stainless C2 and C3 targets :confused:

#147 ·
Smooth, don't know how that compares to your go to Center X but that is one fine lot of RWS. Most excelent shooting and would expect no less from you Sir. Would expect you to do well in the upcoming matches. Good Luck.

Had to laugh about replacing the DIP rails with 25 MOA. This month I removed the scope and 25 MOA rail from my CZ 457 Trainer that I initally set up for NRL factory competition that has a price limit. I purchased an inexpensive Clearidge 3X9 to put on a new CZ American and couldn't get it through the box test regardless of ammo. Granted it is a new rifle with about 350 rounds through it now. So was going to put the Vortex and rail from the Trainer on it and found that I had broken one side of the dovetail. Lesson learned be careful with aluminum DIP rails.

#149 · (Edited)
LeeJ

Thanks for the compliments, and yes so-far it's right there with my best Centre-X lots.
However it's too early to launch any fireworks. I'll know more in several weeks.

As far as the DIP rails go, I have them on all of my Anschutz rifles (4), and using NF rings I torque them to 65 inch pounds.
Never had a problem.

Also about 20 of our Rimfire match shooters are using them with zero issues.
So maybe you caught a bad one.
Your's is the 1st failure I've ever heard of, including on this sight.
Others will chime in on that.

Smooth

#150 ·
Chilly807, Sean
100-2x ,C3 scoped
Leupold 6-18 @ 18x
CZ 452 Varmint
SK Standard +
Cloudy and cool 8°C

I thought I squeaked a 3rd X, but the gauge says "No". I had high hopes for the second target, which had at least 3 X's, then it developed an 8.. I'm not happy about that shot.

The CZ got the Leupold back from my long range rifle, which got a new scope last month. It's nice to have fine cross hairs and the ability to focus at 25 yds again!

#153 ·
Thanks Øystein, it's good to get back to the fun matches. I planned on shooting some C1 iron targets with the Henry today, but it wasn't sighted in enough to make a go of it.
It is now, but I ran out of targets before I was happy with it. Next trip maybe.

Tomorrow is my last long range match of the year. We usually shoot some informal practice sessions during the winter, which is good too.

#157 ·
Thanks Lee.. Yeah, it's cooling off finally after a hot and dry summer.
-2° C this morning with heavy frost.

I'm glad I have an insulated prone mat to shoot from this morning.

We shoot 2 sighters and 10 on score from 500m, 600m, and twice at 800m.
The 500m set starts at 0900, so it'll still be chilly. Thankfully there's almost no wind this morning the last week has been windy to say the least.

As I mentioned earlier, we shoot all winter if there's not too much snow. I don't mind cold weather once I get used to it.

Soon time for snow tires on vehicles!

#155 ·
A good C2 target too :bthumb: We will see more targets then :cool:

I need to start training for the "jaktfelt" season. It is a hunter field match competition. 30 shots at lifesize animal targets at ranges from 20 too 200 meters. Standing, sitting and lying down no support allowed :bthumb: Animals from the small squirrel to the big moose.

#158 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, Shorty123 , First name Jack
Score 120/120,Class II Irons
Iron sights, Factory
Rifle make, CZ 452 Trainer, Ammo, Eley Action
Weather conditions 65 and cloudy and breezy

RFC Alias, Shorty123 , First name Jack
Score 120/120,Class III Irons
Iron sights, Redfield
Rifle make, Rem. 540X, Ammo, Eley Action
Weather conditions 65 and cloudy and breezy

Thanks Stan!
Lots of nice targets being shot in the cooler weather.:bthumb:
Nice to see you back Sean.:D
Shot the bottom right bull on Barney first and quickly saw I needed an adjustment. 5 clicks left fixed it.

Attachments

#163 ·
Looks like some darn fine shooting Jack and Ralph... :bthumb: :bthumb:

Well done!

:F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.