Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

October Fun Shoots

15K views 239 replies 15 participants last post by  LeeJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Fall is here!

I want to go easy on you guys for a change... :rolleyes:

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_007.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at each bull. Keep it in the round parts.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 100

Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/IPSCTR/ipsctr_022.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 2 shots at each bull, (all 5 of them)

Max score 100

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

http://freepdfhosting.com/55c8c1065f.pdf

Class III Scoped

Shoot 1 shot at each bull, (all 10 of them)

Shots outside score 0

Count 'em for score, best edge. To get an "X" the entire circle of the 10 ring will be missing.

Max score 100 10x

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/targets/match/m7.pdf

Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each animal.

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/6-diamonds.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull (all 6 of them) (black and the white parts count)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points

Max score 120 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3492314/6barney-pdf-january-28-2012-3-35-am-528k?da=y

Class III Irons

Shoot 2 shots at each bull, (all 6 of them) (1" sticky dots work well)

Max score 120

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy!

:F

My score for today, baby Box Brownie. 1934 - 1941

See less See more
#102 · (Edited)
RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 100/100 Class: C-2
Rifle: **AIRGUN** Daisy/Avanti 853 (Conroe), Ammo: H&N Sport (.177)
Sights: Daisy iron sights
Weather: 57 deg, slightly raining, inside shooting at 10 yards
Excuses: OFFHAND :D

#106 · (Edited)
Thank you Sean and Ken. I concluded that measuring it was somewhat worthless when at the end of the day I was going to adjust it if not against the rules. I thought coloring it in would help but the scores show it didn't. I colored in Barney and will see what happens tomorrow.

Very nice Stan upright and all. I see from your example if it's in the lines as you published its 10 points. Snap, I'm still in scoring school.

WKW, there are no bonus points this month but it is a bonus if you shoot with us. Øystein and I are shooting all classes with class one rifle and ammo for FUN this month.

Lee:D

#107 ·
Another beautiful vacation day spent at the range. Kind of nice doing this in the middle of the week. No 15 minute in and out sight in going on.

Adjusted the trigger and loaded up with more break in ammo and took the tools along to refine it as needed. And I did.

So I have been working at a perfect score on the CII scope target before I shoot a CIII. To my surprise I already did and well here are some more because I didn't think I did.

RFC Alias, leej, First Name Lee
Score 96/100, 92/100 and 98/100 Class II scope 6X
Scope, Clearidge 3-9X32 Ultra RM
Rifle Make, CZ 457 American
Weather Conditions, 16C/61F W 9 MPH sunny
Excuses, 300 rounds through it now and adjusted trigger

The barrel appears to be coming to life. Will shoot CIII iron and scope tomorrow.

#110 · (Edited)
Guess the winner

Nice shooting Lee, :)

I guess today was the day to shoot, beautiful day very little wind,, pulled out all of my Rimfire guns and took them for a run,, I'm still trying to get the marlins dialed in, fighting parallax with the scopes, so tonight I'm playing musical scopes swapping them around..

Model 60 couldn't get a good target, shooting at 50 yard, but averaging 1.5" groups

Marlin 517V, new stock and rear pillar installed,, shooting good when I'm not fighting parallax.. again at 50yards, I've got high hopes for this one once it's worked out..

Then for the clear winner today
H&R handy rifle ,single shot.. Varmint barrel..in 17 HMR with a cheep Bushnell 4-12 AO scope
:Blasting_:gun4:

John

#112 · (Edited)
Thanks guys :)

Good shooting Lee and John... :bthumb: :bthumb:

I remember when I got my Wifama.. Thought "geez, what did I do???"
After 500 rounds, it was like somebody threw a switch, the accuracy was there!

50 yard fly-swatter...

The latest - 1938

#116 ·
RFC Alias: Norwegianrimfire, First name: Øystein
Score w/ bonus: 90/100,Class: C2 scope,
Scope: Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 @8,
Rifle make: CZ 452E2, Ammo: Magtech HV
Weather conditions: Owercast, +10C and 12-13 MPH wind

Old picture but hey :cool:

Test of ammo before I shot the Fun target.
Three shots at each small circkle, and one shot at each part of the big

#117 ·
Excellent results with the 17HMR John. My 457 American is shooting like the first two you sampled. You can't go wrong with the AT One though. It is a shooter.

Nice Stan. Haven't mentioned but hope the atmosphere is clearing up out there.

Very nice Øystein. Wish I could get my new 457 American to shoot like that 452 does.

Lee:mad:

#128 · (Edited)
Well done Øystein and Lee and Jack the fisherman... :bthumb: :bthumb:

Nice Stan. Haven't mentioned but hope the atmosphere is clearing up out there.
YEAH, it's mostly cleared up. Now we have typically foggy mornings and it's sunny again by afternoon.
(I was photographing some good sunsets while it lasted...)

Good targets Lee, John, Stan Oystein, and Lee :bthumb:

Another nice camera Stan :t You know there's more out there. :D
I've only got one more on the list: a Mamiya C-330 Professional from the 1980s. That'll do it!

A little East German came to visit :cool:

#118 · (Edited)
Score w/bonus 92, 87, 92/1X, 94, 98/1X Class III scope
Scope Clearidge 3X9 Ultra RM AO
Rifle Make, CZ 457 American, Aguila SE SV, Eley Action, SK Pistol Match Special
Weather Conditions, 20C/72F, SW 14 mph sunny
Excuses, discouraging results, too many displaced shots even with higher end ammo

Box tested scope to make sure it wasn't an issue. Changed torque on action screws. Tried six different brands of ammo. Will change scope to a known reliable one to see if it could be the issue. I believe this barrel should be predictable by now. The trainer shoots better.

Lee:confused:

#125 ·
Good targets Lee, John, Stan Oystein, and Lee :bthumb:

Another nice camera Stan :t You know there's more out there. :D

Glad to hear you made it back OK , and the fishing was good Jack,

Hope to shoot another few next week.

#127 ·
Hey Lee,
Do you have any SK Rifle match around?? Try putting it through you 457, mine likes most SK’s with that being the best along with long Range,,,
Also might try some RWS, there middle quality does real well also,, interesting mine really doesn’t do well with most lots of Lapua, or Eley..
Give them a try bud,:bthumb:
John

#129 ·
Hey Lee,
Do you have any SK Rifle match around?? Try putting it through you 457, mine likes most SK's with that being the best along with long Range,,,
Also might try some RWS, there middle quality does real well also,, interesting mine really doesn't do well with most lots of Lapua, or Eley..
Give them a try bud,:bthumb:
John
Hi John, put a Weaver T Series 34x40 on it this morning rather than the Vortex that was on the Trainer. I do have some Rifle Match and several lots of RWS that I'll shoot some samples of. The Trainer shoots the Pistol Match real well. To date I do not have a rifle that shoots any ELEY that great. Just Fun Match fodder. If it doesn't wake up today it's off to the grand kids.

#131 ·
Finished my October challenge CIII irons today with mostly favorable conditions. This was very difficult to see.

Score, 75/120, 100/120 Class III Irons
Sights: Factory open leaf and ladder
Rifle Make, CZ 457 Trainer, SK Pistol Match Special
Weather Conditions, 20C/68F WSW 14 mph w/gust mostly cloudy
Excuses, this was very challenging even colored and are you kidding that skeleton again. Barney says yum.

#135 ·
I shot the Barney's first for practice then shot the NRA 23/5 target over in the CZ October 25 yd. open sight match. I pushed the edge on bull 3 otherwise would have been a real nice target. I more than likely could not have seen this target without coloring it in.

#133 · (Edited)
John, I did try some SK Rifle Match and it will shoot very nice 10 shot groups. There is a problem with the scope and will send it back for examination. Even the Aguila has tightened up with the expected unpredictable flier.

Score 92 2X, 92 1X, 95 0X, 95 1X Class III scope
Scope, Weaver T36
Rifle Make, CZ 457 American
Weather Conditions, 20C/68F WSW 14 MPH mostly cloudy
Excuses, Must have been the scope and still has outliers with budget ammo

#142 ·
John, I did try some SK Rifle Match and it will shoot very nice 10 shot groups. There is a problem with the scope and will send it back for examination. Even the Aguila has tightened up with the expected unpredictable flier

It looks like yours is waking up with the Sk,,
Good to see buddy,, hope you can get the scope worked out,,
My go to mid grade ammo on mine,, SK long range,, SK Rifle match,, RWS special match.. I've got some SK flat nose but the decision is still out on it,, doesn't seem to group as tight ,but I haven't shot much of it yet ...
I know you will get it figured out...
:bthumb:
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.