Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

August Fun Shoots

28K views 344 replies 21 participants last post by  Hawkeye57 
#1 · (Edited)
Here we go again :)

The dog days are upon us, keep COOL!

Thought I'd go easy on us. The challenge for this month is to see if the scoped vs the unscoped shooters come out on top!

I had to get targets (class 2 & 3) from the UK, A4 format, they print just fine in 8-1/2 x 11.

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 120 plus 20 max bonus, give yourself a 5 point bonus for each bull with all 3 in the same quadrant

Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 3 shot at each bull, (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Scoped

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf
Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Irons

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy!

:F

See less See more
#141 ·
Aug Class 3 Scope

Since the C2 went so well I decided to leave the scope at 12X and stick with the cheaper ammo for the class 3. Turned out to be a good decision.
Note - I scored the top bull as having 3X's but open to others opinion on it.

RFC Alias,__Chucker25________, First name_Randy__
Score w/ bonus__90 - 9X ______,Class__3 scope______,
Scope__4-16X @ 12X
Rifle make,__Ruger RPR______, Ammo,_SK Standard+________
Weather conditions__Warm, sunny, light breeze__________
Excuses_ (I would like to reserve the right to have two excuses on a future target :D )

Attachments

#143 ·
Good shooting to you, Randy. :t :t

(I'll have to make the targets harder for Sept... Just kidding!)

#144 · (Edited)
Had a 3 rifle shoot this morning.

I dusted off the old "Coast to Coast" rifle today.

RFC Alias,Midwest Swiss, First name Bret
Score w/ bonus 87 pts , class 2 scope class
Scope BSA air rifle 2-7X32 MM AO
Rifle make,"Coast to Coast CC440 (Marlin) Ammo,CCI Std V
Weather conditions not bad cloudy wind switchy twitchy @ 3-10 mph @ 4 "O Clock"
Excuses none shot pretty good with the CCI Std V ammo old Win. 333 hp and Fed
Gold Std V was a no go.
The rifle is tricky too shoot being so light and a crappy trigger.

#147 · (Edited)
RFC Alias,Midwest Swiss, First name Bret
Score 90/90,Class 2, score 90-9X class 3
Scope BSA 6-24x40MM AO set @ 12X & 20X, Ammo, SK pistol match
Rifle make,Ruger 10/22 and not stock has a GM 16.5 Match sport barrel,
has a warmed over factory OEM trigger with a 2.25 lb pull.
Weather conditions light winds but wind was picking up.
Excuses none my range where I shoot is a 50 & 25 Y with dirt berms in a horse shoe shape with hard wood trees out side the berms and can be very tricky too shoot precision targets when the wind picks up...ya that it's .
Used one wind flag. and I use heavy paper.

#148 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, Midwest Swiss, First name, Bret
Score, 90/90 Class 2 & 90-9X class 3
Scope BSA 4-16X set @ 12X & 16X for class 3
Rifle make, CZ 452 Varmint, Ammo, SK Std + and SK pistol match
Well I shot my CZ first this morning of the three rifle, winds were light from my
4 "O Clock" used one wind flag.

Old Pic.

I even shot a class 3 @ 50 yards at the end of three
rifle shoot @25y, and the wind was very tricky.

Got tagged by the wind, had too watch my only wind flag set up @ 25 yards and cross my fingers.

Love my CZ 452 Varmint bough in 06.

#152 ·
Bret, nicely done (x3)... :t :t :t

Darned good fishing report, too :)

#156 ·
Chucker25

The Ruger was originally a 10/22 Carbine and with a 3-9 Bushnell 22 Scope and factory trigger(5# +) that would at best shoot a baseball size group at 50 yards.

Had the rifle for 8-10 years at least and hardly shot it. And the along came a stimulus check and bingo I decided to do a little upgrading.The only original parts are the receiver, bolt and trigger housing.

The Kidd barrel seems to shoot just about any of the SV ammo well but seems to shoot the SK Pistol Match Special the best. It does very well with SK Std + and I have some of the older Eley Action 40gn that Killough just had that shoots very well also.

I am very pleased with the Kidd upgrades and the new Boyd's stock. Makes the rifle a real joy to shoot.

Carl

#157 ·
Been about 48 hours since my last post, and a lot of shooting has been done since :eek:

Nice targets Jack, Sean, Carl, Robert, Randy, and Bret + fish. :t:t:t:t:t:t
I seen all the targets but may have missed a name.

Haven't had a chance to shoot for the games for a few days, and it may be a few more until I get back to it.
Bought a used CZ 455 Varmint stock off a member here that got delivered Saturday, , so range time that day was used with test targets with my old stock testing for baseline before the change. Had a centerfire handgun silhouette match yesterday that lasted 6 hours and ended with it being 90*s in the shade.
Heading out the shop today to do aluminum tape bedding on the new to me stock, then start testing support pads. Probably won't get to do any testing until tomorrow because were heading back into the 90's for a short stretch, and early morning is the only time it's good for shooting when it's like that for me.

Here is a picture from the seller of the stock. It has a few dings and scratches, but if I can get it shooting good it may be a refinish project for winter.

#159 ·
Thanks guys!

Ken, that stock is a beautiful piece of wood! I'm jealous beyond all reason here..

I know the Good Book says something about not coveting "thy neighbour's wife", and I'm fine with that.

There's nothing about coveting "thy neighbour's rifle" though.

Neighbour, you can consider your rifle coveted 😍😍

If I find a 452 Varmint stock like that one, my baby is getting a new set of pajamas.

Good find, we're going to want to see the finished product.

#160 · (Edited)
Good shooting Sean ... :t

Good woodie, Ken...:bthumb:

About mid-morning we went down to the park.

Eagle went fishing. I'm amazed at the payload these guys can haul...

#164 · (Edited)
Well the new pajamas fit fine Sean, and I ain't letting Cinnamon Girl out at night. :D

I spent a few mornings doing some aluminum tape bedding, and testing support pads. Got it hovering around the .190- .200 groups at 25. Now I just have to transfer that to these targets. :eek:

Got to try a few this morning before the heat got to bad.

RFC Alias,Hawkeye57, First name Ken
Score 88/90,Class -2 scoped,
Scope Weaver V-24 @ 12x,
Rifle make, CZ 455 Varmint, Ammo, SK pistol match
Weather conditions 85*, humid, overcast, 5 mph from 9 o'cock
Excuses

RFC Alias, Hawkeye57, First name Ken
Score w/ bonus 90/90 - 7x,Class C-3 scoped,
Scope Weaver V-24 @ 18 x
Rifle make, CZ 455 Varmint, Ammo, Sk pistol match
Weather conditions 85*, humid, overcast, 5mph from 9 o'clock.
Excuses__

Wrote 88 on the target, but thanks to Oystein bringing it to my attention, it's a 90.

#165 ·
Lots of great shooting from you guys! I am still having a little trouble with the scoring on this target. Is my score an 88,89 or ?? You be the judge.

RFC Alias: Greyknife Ralph
Class 2 Scoped
Shot Aug 10th 25 yards
Rifle: Savage Mark II BTV
Ammo: Norma Match 22LR
6X24 scope set at 12X
Sandbag front and Protector rear
Weather 80+ and moderate wind

Attachments

#170 ·
Good shooting, gentlemen.. very good shooting.

That's easily one of the nicest looking Varmint stocks I've ever seen Ken, Signalman will be drooling.

My wife thought I was looking at a plate of either smoky ribs or fried chicken, made a comment about wearing a bib. I don't think she understands.

#171 · (Edited)
Nice shooting Ken and Ralph... :t :t

My range is in the midst of "maintaining" the 25yd, shotgun and the pistol lines.

They've been at it for a little over a week now. I hope they finish up soon!

AH, well... First world problems.

#172 ·
Hello Everyone, catching up after trip to Ohio and work related other.

The fishing and shooting reports have been very good. All high scores. I need to get out and see what I can do with the iron sights after I receive the screws maybe today. Looking like rain tomorrow so hope to get out today and Sunday.

Ken, looks like that new stock setup is a hit. Keep it up.

Ralph, great scores.

Another great picture Stan.

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.