Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

August Fun Shoots

28K views 344 replies 21 participants last post by  Hawkeye57 
#1 · (Edited)
Here we go again :)

The dog days are upon us, keep COOL!

Thought I'd go easy on us. The challenge for this month is to see if the scoped vs the unscoped shooters come out on top!

I had to get targets (class 2 & 3) from the UK, A4 format, they print just fine in 8-1/2 x 11.

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 120 plus 20 max bonus, give yourself a 5 point bonus for each bull with all 3 in the same quadrant

Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 3 shot at each bull, (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Scoped

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf
Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Irons

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy!

:F

See less See more
#114 ·
Shorty, your not the only one on that front. I will arrange my ammo accordingly - for example if it's three per bull I take two rounds out of each row, leaving a few rows with just three rounds. If it's two shots per bull then I set aside the middle round of the row of five, leaving sets of two.
Isn't it fun getting old...

#104 ·
Great shooting Stan, Hank, Randy and Ken. Range is definitely hot.

Did the Friday hooky fun since there had been too much non fun lately.

RFC Alias, leej, First Name Lee
Score, 89,90,90,90 Class II scope
Scope Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-25x50 12x
Rifle Make, CZ 457 Trainer, Aguila Super Extra, CCI SV
Weather Conditions, 26C/79F E 4 mph calm sunny
Excuses, great day to skip work? :eek:

Black Font Circle Pattern Automotive wheel system

Black Font Circle Pattern Automotive wheel system

Font Line Circle Automotive wheel system Pattern

Font Circle Pattern Automotive wheel system Auto part

Sky Cloud Wood Tree Handheld power drill

#105 ·
Score w/bonus 89/8X, 90/8X, 90/8X, 90/9X, Class III scope
Scope Night Force ATACR7-35x56 25x
Rifle Make, Vudoo V22, SK Flat Nose Match, RWS Special Match mixed lot no's
Weather Conditions, 26C/79F E 4 mph sunny calm
Excuses, shot at 25 yds :D:snipersmi

Font Circle Pattern Automotive wheel system Drawing

Font Circle Pattern Drawing Illustration

Line Font Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Font Circle Pattern Drawing Auto part

#115 ·
Score w/bonus 89/8X, 90/8X, 90/8X, 90/9X, Class III scope
Scope Night Force ATACR7-35x56 25x
Rifle Make, Vudoo V22, SK Flat Nose Match, RWS Special Match mixed lot no's
Weather Conditions, 26C/79F E 4 mph sunny calm
Excuses, shot at 25 yds :D:snipersmi

View attachment 224887

View attachment 224889

View attachment 224891

View attachment 224893
Great set of targets Lee, that rifle can group.
Amazing targets from everyone this month, most impressive, and it really raises the bar, forcing me to buckle down and do better.

#108 ·
:eek:WOW lots of nice shootin and nice guns everyone :bthumb:

Been busy all week ,no shootin :banghead3

Hopping weather cooperates and I can get some targets in this weekend

#109 ·
The range is HOT!!

Randy, Ken, Lee and Jack, nicely done... :bthumb:

#111 ·
Nice targets Lee and Jack.:bthumb:
You guys are a hard act to follow.

With the same targets for irons and scoped in each class, both scored different in class I, with class II and III targets being similar enough to make us geezers scratch our heads.
Has me wondering if Stan enrolled us in some kind of a blind cognitive study. :D;)

#117 ·
I figured I'd shoot the tough target first, then coast through the rest. Well, I have to get through the tough one..
After burning through 5 targets and borrowing one from Randy, I shot this..

I think it's size reduced 15% from the real thing, he was smiling when he offered it to me..lol

I scored it three different times and got three different numbers (85, 86, and 87) so I decided to split the difference.

Chilly807, Sean
Class 2 irons
86/90
Tikka T1x "Tia"
Aperture sights
Bipod and rear bag
CCI SV
Weather conditions- 20C and light breeze
Excuses.. rattled from shooting "the cannon" earlier in the day

#119 ·
Very nice efforts Jack. I should try Eley Action on the class 2 also. Have been shooting it in the Tippmann M4 practicing for another Appleseed. It’s quite accurate out of that semi auto and to date zero issues and relatively clean burning.

Thank you Öystein and Randy. Have been trying different bi-pods because I don’t have a traditional mechanical rest. Got one ordered but takes a while to get it. I started with an Atlas bi-pod and tried a couple different bags. I saw that the rifle had one hole potential at 100 yd so tried a Tier One bi-pod. Seems to be a favorite in the F Class circuit. I don’t get it actually. I cannot get the thing to be consistent at all. Changed to a Sinclair F Class bi-pod and it it better but limited to vertical adjustment the way I set up my targets.

Great shooting everyone. :t

Lee:D

#138 ·
Very nice efforts Jack. I should try Eley Action on the class 2 also. Have been shooting it in the Tippmann M4 practicing for another Appleseed. It's quite accurate out of that semi auto and to date zero issues and relatively clean burning.

Thank you Öystein and Randy. Have been trying different bi-pods because I don't have a traditional mechanical rest. Got one ordered but takes a while to get it. I started with an Atlas bi-pod and tried a couple different bags. I saw that the rifle had one hole potential at 100 yd so tried a Tier One bi-pod. Seems to be a favorite in the F Class circuit. I don't get it actually. I cannot get the thing to be consistent at all. Changed to a Sinclair F Class bi-pod and it it better but limited to vertical adjustment the way I set up my targets.

Great shooting everyone. :t

Lee:D
Interesting Lee. I'm just in the beginnings of putting something together for a bipod on the CIL-190 (Anschutz 64). Do anyone have any plans out there for a DIY "F-Class" type bipod? I would love to build one if possible.

#124 ·
There's a bit of a story behind that setup, Hank. The rear sight is made by Unique, straight slip on to the dovetail. I'd never heard of them before I got the sight (used). Very similar to Anschutz, maybe a bit better even?
The front is an 18mm Anschutz globe on a handmade dovetail block that's drilled and tapped to an Anschutz thread protector. I shimmed the thread protector to get the alignment right.

There's a thread on the project here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195165

#127 ·
Thought I would try out the August Fun Shoot, I shot 2 of the Class III targets. 1 at 30 yards and 1 at 50 yards, 3 shots in each bull.

Shooter 70
Carl
Class III - Scoped
RIFLE - Ruger 10/22 w/Kidd 20" SS Bull Barrel, Kidd Trigger Kit, Boyd Left Hand Blaster Stock
SCOPE - Bushnell Engage 6-24×50 set at 12x for 30 yd. & 24x for 50 yd.
AMMO - SK Pistol Match Special
Caldwell Front Rest - Protector Rear Font Art Circle Pattern Wood
Bag
SCORE - 30yd. 90/5X 50yd. 88/2X
EXCUSES - Probably broke all the rules but had fun shooting the targets.

Attachments

#139 ·
Thought I would try out the August Fun Shoot, I shot 2 of the Class III targets. 1 at 30 yards and 1 at 50 yards, 3 shots in each bull.

Shooter 70
Carl
Class III - Scoped
RIFLE - Ruger 10/22 w/Kidd 20" SS Bull Barrel, Kidd Trigger Kit, Boyd Left Hand Blaster Stock
SCOPE - Bushnell Engage 6-24×50 set at 12x for 30 yd. & 24x for 50 yd.
AMMO - SK Pistol Match Special
Caldwell Front Rest - Protector Rear View attachment 225033 Bag
SCORE - 30yd. 90/5X 50yd. 88/2X
EXCUSES - Probably broke all the rules but had fun shooting the targets.
Carl - that 10/22 can shoot - WOW. Great pair of targets there. Did you see a lot of improvement switching to the KIDD barrel?

#129 ·
Good job Jack, Sean, Carl and Robert... :bthumb:

:Welcome: to Carl and to Robert, hope you stick around. This is an interesting place!

#131 ·
Hello Carl and Robert :welcome

Looks like Stan has added some more riflemen to his team. :D

That Kidd barrel can print some nice groups Carl. Maybe I have a winter project.
Your target Robert is another fine example of that old iron and wood is t truly hard to beat.

Lee

#133 ·
Welcome to the game, gents. I like seeing the older rifles come out and be seen.

I occasionally get the urge to try a 10/22. There was a Mannlicher stock version for sale locally a little while ago, I gave that one some serious thought. Fortunately, by the time I was done thinking about it, someone else had alway decided they wanted it.. lol

I'd spend less time thinking about a CZ 452 FS, which will eventually come along. I've just got to be patient.

#137 ·
Nice target Sean - and it wasn't sized down 15% (probably 18% :D )
The important thing is it's the same size I used ;)

I must say - between the stock on your Tikka and the one on your CZ they are probably two of the nicest that hit our range. Things of beauty, and both just really nice classic lines.

#140 ·
Aug Class 2 Scope

The planets must have been aligned this morning as the Ruger could do no wrong at 25yrds. I later moved out to 100yrds for some ammo tests where it was shooting so good but the wind was a bit too harsh for that - but lots of fun regardless.

RFC Alias,_Chucker25_________, First name__Randy
Score w/ bonus_90/90_______,Class_2 scope_______,
Scope__4-16 @ 12x
Rifle make,_Ruger RPR_, Ammo,__SK Standard+_
Weather conditions___Sunny, warm, light breeze__
Excuses_none - for the first hour I must have left my twitches in the car

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.