Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

August Fun Shoots

28K views 344 replies 21 participants last post by  Hawkeye57 
#1 · (Edited)
Here we go again :)

The dog days are upon us, keep COOL!

Thought I'd go easy on us. The challenge for this month is to see if the scoped vs the unscoped shooters come out on top!

I had to get targets (class 2 & 3) from the UK, A4 format, they print just fine in 8-1/2 x 11.

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 120 plus 20 max bonus, give yourself a 5 point bonus for each bull with all 3 in the same quadrant

Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 3 shot at each bull, (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Scoped

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf
Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Irons

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy!

:F

See less See more
#71 · (Edited)
View attachment 224671 RFC Alias, Pastprime_, First name_Hank____
Score w/ bonus_88/90___,Class__III____,
Scope_Bushnell Banner 4-12@9X__, Iron sights,________
Rifle make Ruger 10/22, Ammo, Eley CMP Bulk__
Weather conditions_Sunny, 91 F, Calm
Excuses None, Forgot what power to shoot on so I put it on 9X. Figured that would be OK. I've decided to shoot my recently acquired 10/22 in these matches. It's doing pretty good for a stock (except for the trigger) Ruger. Better ammunition would probably help my scores, but these are FUN matches and I have more fun shooting $3.60 a box ammo than $11.00 a box ammo.....:).
Hank

Attachments

#75 · (Edited)
Nicely done Ken and Hank ... :t :t

Ken, this is like an old-timers day... How long has either rifle seen the light of day?

Hank, you're got me ready to shoot my Wifama (scoped, Polish trainer).

It's forecast for light rain tomorrow. I was ready to shoot irons until the rain..
We'll see what the day brings. :)

#76 ·
Nicely done Ken and Hank ... :t :t

Ken, this is like an old-timers day... How long has either rifle seen the light of day?

It's been about 28 years for the Western Auto 150 Revelation, and 20 years for the 25 M.
Until I came across your Fun Shoots they were out of sight, out of mind, and close to forgotten :eek:

#77 ·
Late Start (Again)

Wow - It's Aug 06 and you guys already have a good start on things. I'm only just getting my targets printed. As my Dad used to say "%%%% work breaks your day right up", in my case it seems to break my week and month up. Anyways, hoping to get out tomorrow morning with Sean and try to at least get in my C2 & C3 irons, maybe the C2&C3 scoped and just in case things go really well I'll drag something out of the back of the safe for the C1 irons (I have a Rem 552 that needs some exercise).
Great targets thus far everyone - you guys have set the bar very high very early.:eek:

#81 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, Pastprime_, First name_Hank____
Score w/ bonus_90/90___,Class__III____,
Scope_Bushnell Banner 4-12@12X__, Iron sights,________
Weather conditions_Sunny, 85 F, Calm
Excuses:No excuse; just fact. The crosshairs on this Banner scope are pretty thick for any precision shooting. Might have to break out the Weaver.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#82 ·
Wow, a lot of activity and new shooters to boot.

Ken, I now understand why you printed 60 targets. Western Auto, those were the days. Great shooting.

Öystein, looks like the SK is serving you well. Very nice.

Jack, great targets. I picked up some Eley Action also, the 42 grain stuff. Shoots great for bulk pack.

Trevor, welcome :Welcome:and very nice start.

Great shooting with the 10/22 Hank.

Hope I haven't missed anyone. Lot's of very good shooting again this month. Great to see everyone is getting out in the Great Outdoors for some fresh air.

The rain stopped but a surge of work has kept me away from the range. Took the 1903 out to pack up for Friday and the rear sight fell off. Somehow I broke the screws. Can't see and bumps, nicks or damage. Ordered parts last night from Nordic Marksman. Stay safe everyone. It isn't over and not getting better yet. Don't let your guard down.

Lee

#83 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, Pastprime_, First name_Hank____
Score w/ bonus____,Class__II____,
Scope_Bushnell Banner 4-12@12X__, Iron sights,________
Weather conditions_Sunny, 85 F, CalmI
I guess these are 90's. If they are not, someone please let me know. I'm still learning the scoring of the various targets.

Hank

Attachments

#87 · (Edited)
Hank

On your class III scoped it looks like a 90/90 6X to me. It may be 7X. I measured the distance from the X ring to the 9 ring and got .125, so if a plug don't touch the 9 ring it has to be an X.

On the Cass II scoped the white dot is the 10. If your not plugging into it it would be a 9.

That's my read, If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Something went wrong on my first post and I reposted.

#88 ·
Hank

On your class III scoped it looks like a 90/90 6X to me. It may be 7X. I measured the distance from the X ring to the 9 ring and got .125, so if a plug don't touch the 9 ring it has to be an X.

On the Cass II scoped the white dot is the 10. If your not plugging into it it would be a 9.

That's my read, If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Something went wrong on my first post and I reposted.
Thank you again. I'm enjoying trying to do as well as I can whatever the score is.

#90 · (Edited)
Jack and Hank, good job... :t :t

I almost got rained out at the range, but I got to shoot one target and packed it up early.

RFC name: COW 54 First name: Stan
Score: 135/120 (with bonus), Class: C-1 (scoped)
Rifle: Mossberg Plinkster , Ammo: Fed. Auto-Match
Sights: BSA Sweet 22
Weather: 63 deg, rainy
Excuses: Not top shelf, but it gets the job done :)

#94 ·
Aug Class I - Irons

Harder than it looks this target is...Old man eyes and open iron sights are not a great combination.

RFC Alias,__Chucker25 , First name Randy
Score w/ bonus__125/120______,Class 1 Irons________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,_factory open
Rifle make,__Remington 552______, Ammo,_Winchester Wildcat
Weather conditions__Sunny Warm small breeze
Excuses__Sean was on the next bench blasting away with a cannon :gun4:

Attachments

#95 ·
Aug Class 2 Irons

Aperture sights are much easier for these old eyes than the open sights

RFC Alias,_Chucker25_, First name_Randy
Score w/ bonus_86/90_______,Class__2___,
Scope______________, Iron sights,____yes (aperture)____
Rifle make,_CIL-190_______, Ammo,__SK Standard+_
Weather conditions_warm sunny slight breeze
Excuses__not enough coffee? too much coffee?

I've posted pics of the rifle before, but thought I would post a pic of the new front sight I built for it. It had a very poor fitting barrel dovetail mount before and a non-standard sized globe (old Redfield design). It now has a typical 18mm Anschutz globe mounted on a steel sleeve that is tapered to match the barrel - held in place by setscrews. Works beautifully. Our good friend Chilly helped me out with the mount - he has been a great resource on this project. Ignore the wrap of masking tape, I was making an adjustment on the position and hadn't removed the tape with the widow mark yet.

Attachments

#96 ·
Aug Class 3 - Irons

First attempt at the C3 Irons target - I may give it another attempt using some better ammo.

RFC Alias,__Chucker25________, First name___Randy_______
Score w/ bonus__90 - 6X (I think thats how you score it)______,Class__3______,
Scope______________, Iron sights,__yes (aperture)
Rifle make,__CIL-190______, Ammo,_SK Standard+________
Weather conditions__warm sunny slight breeze
Excuses__I got nothin....

Attached is a pic of the old front sight (see C2 iron post for the new sight)

Attachments

#98 ·
Randy, Hank and Stan good job on those targets :bthumb:

And to you Lee. Yep the Stainless CZ love the Biathlon and Pistol SK. The Sk Pluss and Match is not so good. So happy I found some SK it likes. Still need to try the Flatnose Basic and Match and the Long Range from SK in it. Pluss a bunch of Eley and RWS :D

#101 ·
Nice targets yesterday Jack and Stan :t

Good shooting Randy :t
Your right about the old eyes on them C-1 irons, they turn into a blur.

I started on some C-2 scoped today. I still have room for a little more luck.

Shot two with the revolver with this being the best.

RFC Alias, Hawkeye57, First name Ken
Score w/ bonus 76 / 90 ,Class 2 scoped
Scope TRS-25 red dot,
Rifle make, Ruger GP-100, trigger work, Ammo, SK +
Weather conditions Sun 78*, 0-5 mph
Excuses Tough target with a red dot.

Gun picture from last month

Shot two with the 10/22 with this one 1 point ahead of the other.

RFC Alias, Hawkeye57, First name Ken
Score w/ bonus 89 /90,Class 2 scoped
Scope Weaver V-24 @12x
Rifle make, 10 /22 GM HT barrel, trigger work, Ammo, SK +
Weather conditions Sun 78*, 0-5 mph
Excuses, just didn't happen.

Gun picture from last month

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.