Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

August Fun Shoots

28K views 344 replies 21 participants last post by  Hawkeye57 
#1 · (Edited)
Here we go again :)

The dog days are upon us, keep COOL!

Thought I'd go easy on us. The challenge for this month is to see if the scoped vs the unscoped shooters come out on top!

I had to get targets (class 2 & 3) from the UK, A4 format, they print just fine in 8-1/2 x 11.

I hope you're all healthy.

*Until we return to normalcy and the shooting ranges are open for business, it's okay to shoot a pellet gun at 10 yards at the target of your choice (trigger time is trigger time). If you can shoot rimfire, please do. Some of us can't. I'm sure we'll do the best we can under the circumstances.*

__________________________________________________ _____
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf

Class I Scoped

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the outer perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 120 plus 20 max bonus, give yourself a 5 point bonus for each bull with all 3 in the same quadrant

Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Scoped

Shoot 3 shot at each bull, (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90

Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Scoped

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://targetz.com/targetzlib/10137.pdf
Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull.

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points

Class II Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_25m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Class II Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull (all 3 of them)

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target.pdf

Class III Irons

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

Stay healthy!

:F

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
I got out this afternoon to give a C 1 a try. I only tried two of them. It was to windy to waste another target and ammo. I get back to this one on a better day.

RFC Alias, Hawkeye57, First name Ken
Score w/ bonus 110/120,Class C- 1 Irons
Iron sights, OEM with fingernail polish on front
Rifle make, Ruger 9.5" Single Six, Ammo, Aquila subsonic 40 gr
Weather conditions Sun, 85*, with 15-20mph with 25 gusts from my 10 o'clock.
Excuses , Splitting the front sight under two colors is a added joy.
I's not pretty, but I'll fess up to it.

Gun picture from last month.

#38 ·
I got out this afternoon to give a C 1 a try. I only tried two of them. It was to windy to waste another target and ammo. I get back to this one on a better day.

Score w/ bonus 100/120, Class C- 1 Irons
Fixed it for you..

#37 ·
Good shooting Ken :t

(you KNOW that target slanted over to 45 degrees MIGHT give you a better sight picture. ...Just sayin' )

The master of thinking outside the box :)

#39 ·
Good shooting Ken :t

(you KNOW that target slanted over to 45 degrees MIGHT give you a better sight picture. ...Just sayin' )

The master of thinking outside the box :)

Never thought of that. Probably would do the trick.
Fixed it for you..

Thanks Stan
Don't know how I done that ? Looking at one game and scoring another I guess .:eek: Fixed.

#51 ·
Good shooting to you (2x), Jack.. :t :t

You scored 'em right.

"Class I Irons

Shoot 3 shots at each bull. (you're doing good to get them on target)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 120 points"

Good shooting to you as well, Ken.. :t

Hi Merle, wondered where you'd been, :)

#46 ·
Good shooting Shorty :t

The scoring looks good. I should know, I got my first one wrong, now it's sunk in to my memory , for at least a month.:D

I'm jealous of ya being able to see them irons . I gave my BL 22 a try last month, but couldn't see them anymore. I had it on sandbags, and think if I changed to the rest and get it up higher I may have a better chance of squinting a few in.

I tried the 45* slant Stan. It helped, but I still couldn't get that one last score.

#53 · (Edited)
RFC AliasNorwegianrimfire, First name: Øystein
Score w/ bonus: 83? and 88? ,Class: C2
Scope: Vortex 4-16x50, @12
Rifle make: CZ 452E2 SS, Ammo: SK Biatlon and Pistol Match
Weather conditions: Sunny, light wind and +17 C
Excuses: Scoring the tragets where hard :rolleyes:

Edit the Sk Pistol Match target is a 88 point. Thankt Jack and Stan :D

#54 ·
Seeing some pistol targets reminds me of the old Ruger Mk2 I have sitting in my safe.

I might have to drag the ol' hogleg out this month and have a go at the C1 iron target.

You'll be safely in 1st place, Ken. I do ok for the first few shots, then I start laughing and empty the mag.

Anyone in the US dealing with range closures at the moment?

#56 ·
Seeing some pistol targets reminds me of the old Ruger Mk2 I have sitting in my safe.

I might have to drag the ol' hogleg out this month and have a go at the C1 iron target.

You'll be safely in 1st place, Ken. I do ok for the first few shots, then I start laughing and empty the mag.

Anyone in the US dealing with range closures at the moment?
I'll try just about any target with a pistol, even when I know I don't have a chance, but it always puts a smile on my face ether way.

Local range canceled some shoots, and monthly meetings back a few months ago, but slowly coming back. The lodge is closed but the ranges themselves are still open. They let us start our bi weekly centerfire handgun silhouette back up last month, it only gets about 12 - 15 shooters.

Nice targets Oystein :bthumb:
I don't have a class III gun, but I'll chase their targets anyway.:D

#57 ·
Here is a comparison for you Stan, from the vision of this old eye.
I found a see thru mount that I had on the BL many years ago, and put it back on.

Score w/ bonus 120/120,Class C-1 irons
Iron sights, Factory
Rifle make, Browning BL-22 Grade II, Ammo, CCI SV
Weather conditions 80*, overcast, 5-10 mph from 9 o'clock
Excuses

At 25 yards with irons.

Score w/ bonus 115/120 + 15 ?,Class C-2 scoped
Scope Tasco 4X pronghorn

Rifle make, Browning BL-22 Grade II, Ammo, CCI SV
Weather conditions 80*, overcast, 5-10 mph from 9 o'cock
Excuses Wouldn't have lost 5 on the bottom right target if I wasn't chasing the bonus.

Check my scoring on this one

#60 ·
Nicely done Øystein and Ken :t :t

Sean, my range is 1/2 open.. every other bench is closed. People waiting outside waiting for somebody to leave so they could go in.

I go and get there early, no muss, no fuss.

Thursday or Friday will be the next range trip :) ...with irons :bthumb:

Jack, you're right about the Class 2.

#61 ·
Great shooting everyone. :t:t:t

All ranges are open in Michigan and most are having matches. I’m avoiding the matches even though I want to compete.

I need to locate a class 1 firearm because I changed out the trigger in the M4 semi auto.

Lee :D

#62 ·
It sounds about the same as here then. Although the first wave has largely subsided in parts of Canada, we're being careful for the most part.

We currently have only 2 known active cases of Covid in my province, so our restrictions are working. It's painful and unpopular to some, but effective.

At one range I belong to, our rifle matches are going ahead with social distancing measures in place. I've been competing in some of them, others I haven't.

Shotgun competition is more problematic, with much larger numbers of people to deal with.

I've decided to take a sabbatical from shotgun competition this year unless the numbers are more controlled. Just not worth the risk, as small as it is at the present time.

Online matches are great, I can pick when I go to the range to shoot so there are very few (if any) other people there.

Thanks Stan, you're keeping us (mostly) sane through this ��

#63 · (Edited)
Online matches are great, I can pick when I go to the range to shoot so there are very few (if any) other people there.

Thanks Stan, you're keeping us (mostly) sane through this ��
As Red Green would say... "We're all in this together"

...Like to try a gnome?

Waterdogs

#66 · (Edited)
Tried out this months Challenges.
Not sure about the scoring, I think I did it correctly?

RFC Alias: Trevorj, First Name: Trevor
Score w/ bonus: 80 (26/28/26), Class CII scoped
Scope: Cabela's Covenant 6-24x50 (@12x)
Rifle make: Ruger 10/22, Ammo: Lapua Center-x
Weather conditions 28C, Sunny, 20-30km/h @ 170 deg.
Excuses, need more practice :rolleyes:, Shot at 28m

Score w/ bonus: 86 (28/28/30), Class CIII scoped
Scope: Cabela's Covenant 6-24x50
Excuses, need more practice :rolleyes:, shot at 28m

Score w/ bonus: 90 (30/30/30), Class CIII scoped
Scope: Cabela's Covenant 6-24x50
Excuses, need more practice :rolleyes:, shot at 28m

Attachments

#69 ·
Good shooting Trevor :t

I could be wrong ( I was one time before ):D:D, But I think it looks like you have some X's on the 2 class III Scoped targets.

Class III Scoped

Now count 'em, best edge

Max score 90-9x

Unlimited Scope setting

#70 ·
I dug back in the pile and found two more guns to shoot the Class I irons with today.

Score 120/120, Class, I Irons
Iron sights, Factory
Rifle make, Western Auto 150 Revelation , Ammo, CCI SV
Weather conditions Sun, low 80's, 10-15 mph from 9 0'clock
Excuses

RFC Alias, Hawkeye57 , First name Ken
Score 120/120,Class I irons
Iron sights, Factory
Rifle make, Marlin 25M, Ammo, Win Mag 40 gr JHP
Weather conditions Sun, low 80's, 10-15 mph from 9 o'clock

The ammo is about 25 years old, bought off the highest price guy in town at the time.

Got some chores for a few days then I do a binge on some Class II's :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.