Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Walking Point

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
? about B&C Odyssey Stock

I have been looking at photos of the Odyssey target stock with the three way adjustable buttplate and am considering buying one. The problem is I am left-handed and can only view this stock from photos (no chance to handle before I buy) so I need your help. Will this stock work fine for a lefty? Any grip issues to be concerned about? and is it designed so that the barrel is free floating? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
WRENCHHEAD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the odyssey is the same on both sides so it's lefty friendly. and in factory form the barrel is not free floated, but you can always float it yourself, the composite material they use sands very easily.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
RWAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
WRENCHEAD is correct= Odessey is totally symetrical, the grip and even the cheek piece are identical on each side. There are support areas for the barrel just ahead of the V-block and at the end of the fore arm. My barrel (21"unfluted bull) required quite a bit of sanding on the front support. It just didn't like much upward pressure. I finally was successful when I floated the front and added a spring and plastic saddle in the channel of the stock to push up on the barrel with maybe 2-3lbs pressure. That really unlocked the potential of this barrel. I have run into this with other 10-22s. They either like to be floated or have just a slight amount of foward support, too much upward pressure is an accuracy killer.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Walking Point

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info. Photos cannot make up for hands on experience. If I can get Tuck to paint my Tundra then I'll scrap the Odyssey for now. However, it has just made my short list.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RWAL is on the money about barrels liking different bedding and mounting proceedures. Mine isn't a Odyssey, its a Thumbhole Anschutz but it uses the same barrel support system as the Odyssey. Before using the Bell & Carlson stock I used a modified factory stock which free floated the barrel after the first few inches, the accuracy was good but better after switching to the B&C. My wifes gun on the other hand when it wasn't free floated and used a presure pad didn't shoot as well as it does now with freefloating. You really have to see what the gun likes.

Dave Z.