Show me your Kimber!! - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
gordonmcw

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

this is a pic of my Kimber Classic, from New York. Well, it's a picture of part of it. According to Kimber, it was made July of 2000. It has the 18LPI checkering and the original straight barrel contour, before they switched to the more abrupt step in barrel diameter ahead of the chamber.

My question is - what type of scope rings are these? I bought this rifle used from a local shop, it looked like it had been shot very little. It didn't feed well from the magazine at all, probably why someone got frustrated and traded it in. Kimber sent me two new magazines to try in it, and since then I haven't had it back out, actually.

Anyway - I'm hoping someone can clue me into these rings. They clamp onto separate bases on the receiver, are split vertically, and I think they look pretty nice on the rifle.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 PM
CER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took some pictures of a old Remington today and thought what the heck.
Its from New York.

Carlton

Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
These are the "Classic" group. On the left is an 82 with a Bishop stock, which is easy to identify by the flutes on the bottom, the bordered checkering patterns and the higher comb. Most Bishops are very plain; this one is decent and the scope is a Leupold 4X. In the middle is an 82 Classic with about the best wood I've seen on a classic. I've seen Super Americas with plainer stocks. The 3X9 Compact Leupold has been focus adjusted to 60 yards. On the right is an 82 CSS. It has the C action, stainless barrel, 4 rd. mag., matte blue and a red rubber pad. The wood has fiddleback throughout and is a serious shooter. It carries a 6X Leupold Compact. This is the rifle that came with a coupon entitling the buyer to a copy of Greg Warne's book on the history of Kimber and the guns they produced, which was never published.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-22-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Updated Links to Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
These guys don't fit anywhere else plus one of them isn't even a Kimber. On the left is a Super Grade. There are very few of them as they were only made for less than a year and the factory records consider them to be a Super America, but they aren't serial numbered or marked as such. It has all of the amenities of the SA; full wrap checkering, inletted swivels, cheek piece, ebony, scalloped bottom, niedner plate. The Claro walnut stock has quite a bit of long, dark streaking. It's scoped with a Leupold 4X Compact Rimfire. The middle rifle is a Custom Match, one of 217. All of the metal is matte blued plus it has all of the typical SA amenities except that they were made without cheek pieces. Also the bolt stop, magazine catch and safety are checkered rather than grooved. The stock is French walnut and is a little discreet in its figure; it has it, it just doesn't overwhelm you. The scope is a matte Leupold 3X9 Compact, focused at 60 yds. The CM is an awesome shooter. The only thing Kimber about the gun on the right is we copied the checkering pattern from an SA. It's an Anschutz 1415-1416DHB with a custom stock made from English walnut. It is scoped with a Leupold 3X9 Compact AO held on with Warne rings. It's a very special gun to me, stocked by a dear friend I used to work with and I knew if I posted it on the Anschutz forum those guys wouldn't appreciate it anyway and besides I needed a third gun to balance out my pic. I call it my Anschutz Super America and it generally turns heads when I troll it thru a gunshow.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-16-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Updated Links to Pics
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
hambone49

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Ok, here's my latest. Anybody but sagerat care to guess the particulars?

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-15-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Updated Link to Pic
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM
hambone49

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Here's the flip side.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-15-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Updated Link to Pic
Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Troutboy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My not so special Kimbers

I'd not been into Kimbers because of the cost until lately. I had bought a Ruger Mk. III Hunter stainless with fluted barrel then when I saw the Classic Varmint I decided I had to have it. In the meantime I found the Classic at a really good price and to make a long story short, bought it and went back and bought the CV.

Using the ammo I normally shoot, which means non match, I can't say either out perform my CZ 452 American. Weather's been iffy for shooting so I definitively need to get out to the range and shoot more and maybe do a little tweaking. Each rifle seems to have it's own personality and features I like and some I'm not too crazy about.

Last edited by Troutboy; 02-16-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
kimberkook

TPC Rating: 
100% (100)
Regarding Hambone's quiz:

Bottom rifle must be a Model 82B Custom Classic HB, and those do look like Talley bases to me.

Top rifle has the short barrel and forestock of the Mini and the buttstock of an SA. That "Warne Red" finish is really distinctive.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
hambone49

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Close enough for Kimber, Mr. Kook. The top one is a odd bird, a Mini classic Superamerica A action, one of only 35. I guess that red never took off. #2 is a 1994 KoA SA C action. The bottom one is a Custom Classic Deluxe (inletted swivels and upgraded wood, not a HB) and a B action from Colton.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
This is the Custom Classic group. Kimberkook references the fact that KoO rifles are full of surprises, hence this one on the left. According to the Kimber Enthusiasts and Collectors Manual by Paul Eaton, the Custom Classic wasn't a production item until late July of '83. Prior to that time, in Sept. of '82 they added the bolt stop and in Feb. of '83 replaced the dish bolt with the round shank. This gun has no bolt stop and also has the old style bolt handle. It has the ebony tip but the wood is fairly plain and it's barrel is 1" shorter than normal. So a pre-production CC? It has a Leupold 2-7X rimfire scope on it. The center rifle is a very nice CC with pretty wood with lots of dark streaks and the scope is a Leupold 4X rimfire. The rifle on the right is 1 of 12 made; a Custom Classic with a Myrtlewood stock. Pretty typical myrtlewood figure; I actually talked to the lady that checkered it; she said myrtlewood smells like cat pee when you work it. The scope is a Leupold 4X rimfire.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-22-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Updated Links to Pics
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
We're changing directions so you don't get bored with the ugly stuff; these are the competition rifles. On the left is an All American Match, one of 416 made. They differ significantly from the 82G in that they have a slightly lighter weight barrel, a vertically adjustable butt plate and a stock that is more position oriented and not quite so heavily made. AAM's are typically about a pound lighter than their government counterpart. They were air gauged at the factory and had to shoot .3 for 10 shots at 50 yards with match ammo. They have an 82A single shot action. They were shipped without sights and drilled and tapped for scope blocks. I installed a set of blocks from an 82G and mounted the Redfield 3200 20X scope which according to the scant information I've found was actually the scope that Kimber had in mind for the AAM and 82G target models. I also have a set of the Australian sights for this rifle. It will easily meet the accuracy requirement. The rifle on the right is an 82 SVT (short varmint target). Originally conceived in the late 80's, they really weren't produced until the company was producing 82C rifles under the Kimber of America name, so it has an 82C single shot action. The stock was designed by famed gunsmith Pete Grisel and the barrel is heavy fluted stainless steel and is 18" long. This example has a stock with quite a bit of character. The scope is a Leupold 12X with target knobs, fine crosshairs and a target dot.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-22-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Updated Links to Pics
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Last day of hunting season here in Alabama this year, got one last squirrel for the pot. Kimber Hunter 22, Leupold VXI 2-7x33mm, Pentax DCF MP 8x28mm, Filson 435HW hunting coat, and Russell Easler knife. All on the tailgate of the '99 F-150 that replaced the one that I got rammed in a little while back!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Aries64

Kimber 82C Classic

I have two (2) Kimber of Oregon 82Cs'. This particular gun is the older of the two and has the original type, rounded "bowtie" trigger guard and, by Kimber standards, rather plain wood. I have the original box and paperwork, though.

Kimber Model 82C with Warne bases and 7.3 Steel Rings + Leupold Vari-X II 4-12X 40 AO with Fine Duplex:

Someday I'll take pictures of my other Kimbers, which include:

(a) 82A Cascade
(b) 82C Super Classic - 100% and NIB with all documentation!
(c) 84B Super America .223 w/3-Position Safety Option - This one is the pride and joy of my Kimbers.

Keith
Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Kimber of Oregon created the Cascade stock as an option for shooters that wanted a higher comb and pronounced cheek piece which makes them easy to identify. There were probably fewer than 1000 Cascades made and most are fairly plain; here are my two. On the left is a basic Cascade with actually a pretty decent stock with quite a bit of butt figure and the only one that I've seen with scallops on the bottom. It's scoped with a Leupold 2X7. On the right is a Custom Cascade, and according to Eaton's manual, one of 34 made. This example has a really nicely figured stock with lots of long streaks and an ebony tip. The scope is a Leupold M8 6X.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-22-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Updated Links to Pics
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The flagship of the Kimber of Oregon rimfire line, in my opinion, is the Super America. The name "Super America" is credited to Lou Leonard, a rifle collector of note from Portland, OR and a friend of the Warnes who based it on a car, the Ferrari Super America. It's intended to connotate a 100% American made rifle of supergrade quality for American enthusiasts. These are the Super Americas of my KoO collection.
On the left is an early SA made before ebony tips were offered. It has the A action, quarter rib sight package, scallops, non-beaded cheek piece and a beautiful stock with long, dark streaks throughout. The scope is a Kimber 4X held on with Kimber Brownell QR rings. Second from the left is a Colton made SA with a B action and stained with the Warne red stain. It has an ebony tip, scallops, beaded cheekpiece, inletted swivel studs and alot of curling figure. The scope is a Leupold Compact 3X9 EFR. In the center is another SA with a B action. It's rolled Super America on the action but there is no SA prefix to the serial number which is 6 digits long. It has ebony, beaded cheek piece, inletted swivel studs and no scallops. The figure is long streaks of contrasting colors and is scoped with a Leupold 2X7 rimfire. To the right of center is a transitional SA. It's rolled Kimber of America and serial numbered as a C. It has a B action, ebony, beaded cheek piece, plain studs, no scallops and a black rubber pad. The stock figure is a cool combination of long streaks and full fiddleback from end to end. The scope is a Leupold 8X AO. The rifle on the right is rolled as a Kimber of America and has the C action. It has ebony, a beaded cheek piece, no scallops, no studs and a black rubber pad. It has full length contrasting dark streaks that are really eye catching. The scope is a Leupold 8X AO.

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-22-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Updated Links to Pics