Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
dwarven1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do I keep the takedown screw from loosening?

I have a 26 year old 10/22, maybe 10-20K rounds through it. (Hey, I never counted... and I'm the only owner.) I recently modded it into a Liberty Training Rifle (I'm a volunteer with the Appleseed Project). Basically not very modified at all - sling, extended mag release, trigger job, and, since my eyes aren't the best, a Weaver K7 scope on a Weaver mount.

Now, my problem. I put about 500+ rounds through it at the Patriot's Day Appleseed Shoot in Harvard, MA this weekend, and by the end of the second day it loosened up on me... which really PO'd me as it ruined a REALLY good AQT target that was going to be my second Rifleman score of the day.

So... is there any mechanical mod, or aftermarket screw, that will NOT loosen up that easily?

Two courses of action I've considered are:

1 - Loc-Tite. Don't want to do that because I do CLEAN the action after I shoot it... seems to make it happier.

2 - Volquartsen has an Allen head screw that I could use with a small torque wrench and just periodically hit it to a particular setting. I'd have to experiment to find the best setting, of course.

So... does anyone have any other suggestions? Anyone use method 2, and if so, how often do you find yourself torquing it down?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ross
Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Titurel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few things I would try:

Wrap the TD screw in some plumbers teflon pipe thread tape. This will tighten up the fit

Use some of the low strength Loctite (the blue kind). This will hold very well (the parts have to be degreased though) but can be unscrewed with hand tools. I like the kind that comes in a stick, like a chapstick

Get a new socket head TD screw. Maybe yours is a bit out of spec.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The takedown screw may be to long hitting the barrel, this causes it to work loose when shooting. You can check by looking at the barrel where the takedown screw goes thru the action, or mark it with a marker/lipstick and check.

A good allen head takedown screw is cheap mod and is also very nice about using the T-handle allen wrench verses slotted head factory screw. Lots more feel with T-handle

Several places sell the allen head takedown screw, I also sell them, $5.50 each shipped for stainlles, you can check the classifieds or pm me. Also every aftermarket takedown screw I have seen including mine is just a bit shorter than factory to solve the problem with the screw hitting the barrel

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
horseman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Clint probably right

My guess Clint is right. Both of mine bottomed out resulting in becoming loose after a few hundred rounds. Blue loctite will work but remember it accumulates. Just use a tiny bit each time. Also clear nail polish will work. My preferred method is to fit a washer under the head of the take down screw. Problem solved. But you know for 5 bucks Clint can fix your problem forever. That T handle hex wrench sounds cool. Wonder if you can get one with the take down screw?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The T handle is nice, and speeds things up as well. Size is 5/32 and I can also do combo T handle with takedown screw, or you can purchase your own T handle or a pack of them pretty cheap...

You can also file/sand down the length of the takedown screw, an easy fix

Clint
Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 AM
dwarven1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll check the length first off; I certainly have enough tooling in my shop to cut down a screw!

Anyone know the threading on it? If not, I can always mike it and dig out the pitch gauge. I just like to put a nut on a screw before I take anything off the end so that the nut cleans up any buggered threads when it comes off.

Ross
Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The takedown screw thread is 12-24 get one 1" long, and if you have tooling it will take no time at all. I just face the length off back to around .9" no need in having a nut to clean up threads, I do hit it with a super fine wire bruch to clean up any burr

Clint
Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
soup
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to soup
Wrong Loctite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titurel View Post
A few things I would try:......

Use some of the low strength Loctite (the blue kind). This will hold very well (the parts have to be degreased though) but can be unscrewed with hand tools. I like the kind that comes in a stick, like a chapstick
Blue loctite is for 1/4" - 3/4" fasteners. A better bet for this application would be Loctite #222MS (purple color, PN 22231). It's for fasteners to 1/4". http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...2_USE_HTML.htm
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
if you're not in the habit of taking the gun apart all the time like i do,
a rubber " O " ring will help. buy 1/2 doz as they dont last more than
a coupla removals before getting kinda chewed up,

just another "band-aid" option,

check the escutcheon fitting to make sure it is not being "sucked" down
into the hole and causing the screw to bottom out on the bbl. you may
wanna remove it, set it to the right height, flush with the stock, and
epoxy it in place,

rico....

Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
fzamudio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would a lock washer work for him?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
soup
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to soup
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzamudio View Post
Would a lock washer work for him?
Well they do make "high collar" lock washers that fit under a standard Allen Head Cap Screw and don't protrude past the OD of the head. One of those and a "low head" AHCS (the length of the head is shorter than a standard AHCS) just might fit the bill. You won't find these at a DIY store, but an industrial supply house should have them. They might even just give them to you because of the paperwork involved with such a small sale, usually less than $0.25 total.