Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Spyvie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best aluminum clear coat.

I'm almost done stripping and sanding the receiver and trigger group on a used 10/22 I picked up. Even though I have a Dremel and the rouge and all that I don't think I want a polished look on this rifle. I want to stick with the brushed look.

It seems to me the aluminum will scratch way to easy without some kind of clear coat. Reading up a little on this forum I keep hearing about automotive engine clear coat turning yellow, and I didn't see much more info about this in the polished receiver thread.

So my question, what kind of clear finish is best to preserve the look of my receiver and TG, and where can I get it? In fact, where can I get any of the finishes commonly used on firearms like Duracoat?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Dr. Mongoose

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Automotive clear coat (for BODY work) at least two coats.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Spyvie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Doc,

Is that something I can get in an aerosol can or will I need an air brush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

One of the finest you can buy...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:50 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The choice of clear coat I can't help with very much, however I will try to save you some trouble. Use a brushed finish (stainless wire wheel fine, or fine to medium scotch brite) for your finish on the aluminum, if you use a polished finish the coating will not adhere to the aluminum.

Clint
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Corsica Coatings
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Duracoat satin clear frequently for such things. Clint is correct, it needs to be a bit rough for the finish to adhear properly and it should cure the full 30 days before you use it.

I just did a 10/22 in 5 color digital camo and I put a clear coat on it to give it an even finish.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:46 AM
nutflush

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had decent luck clearing polished aluminum using the following; a GOOD wash with soapy water, rinse completely and buff dry, be careful not to touch any surface that will be cleared...then wipe again with B-12 Chemtool (available at most auto supply places and/or Wally World) - buff dry again...
for the clear, an commercial basecoat/clearcoat clear is preferred, but quite acceptable results can be had with Dupli-colors' "Wheel Clear" - an aresol made for aluminum wheels, lightly "dust" a coat on and allow about 5 minutes to tack, then follow with a wet coat - enough to gloss, but not so much it drips - let it cure for a day, preferably under full sun.

While not as durable as a clear powder coat, it does hold up quite well, I've used this method on a number of custom motorcycle parts with good results.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
adam38654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
They make an automotive clear coat for chrome and aluminum rims.