.22 mag zero - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:43 AM
rico903
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2010
Location: 
MD
Posts: 
3,601
TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
.22 mag zero



Log in to see fewer ads
First time here in Savage Land, normally in CZ area. I recently picked up a NIB model 93 F V in .22 mag to use as a host. I plan on putting one of my Leupold rimfire scopes on it and I'm wondering what range/distance you folks use to zero yours. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:50 AM
ms6852's Avatar
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2008
Location: 
Converse Tx
Posts: 
719
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do my zero at 100 yards for both 22 magnum and 22 lr as I like shooting my 22's at 200 yards and beyond.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:59 AM
Mick89's Avatar
Mick89 is online now

Join Date: 
Jun 2018
Location: 
Australia
Posts: 
153
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I didn’t know any better and had my first 22 mag I used to zero at 50.
Years later and I have a new one on its way, it will be zeroed at 100 to give it an almost straight shot out to 120.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-29-2020, 04:29 AM
rico903
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2010
Location: 
MD
Posts: 
3,601
TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick89 View Post
When I didnít know any better and had my first 22 mag I used to zero at 50.
Years later and I have a new one on its way, it will be zeroed at 100 to give it an almost straight shot out to 120.
Thanks. What is your rise at 50 yds with that zero?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2020, 05:37 AM
acheyj

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
29
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A very interesting subject, depends on bullet weight velocity etc. Using the terms MPBR (maximum point blank range)
MRD (most recommended distance)
Based on vital zone radius or maximum trajectory height of 2 inches 30 grain jacketed hollow point zero distance of 127 yards and MPBR of 146 yards is suggested , at 100 yards the height at 100 yards is 1.7 inches.
For vital zone radius of 1 inch 110 yards 124 yards 0.6
For vital zone radius of 4 inch 156 yards 179 yards 4.0

This is calculated by Strelock Pro , I have found the program to be REASONABLY accurate. The 4 inch VZR should suffice for a chest shot on a Kangaroo, .22 mag is illegal in Aust for roo shooting. Before the tree huggers get upset for many places in Australia Kangaroos are in plaque proportions, its not uncommon to see 100 to 150 of them in my paddocks ( I have only a small property of about 800 acres and I love the odd Kanga but there is a bloody limit !)

ron
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2020, 08:36 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2006
Location: 
Missouri
Posts: 
1,111
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheyj View Post
A very interesting subject, depends on bullet weight velocity etc. Using the terms MPBR (maximum point blank range)
MRD (most recommended distance)
Based on vital zone radius or maximum trajectory height of 2 inches 30 grain jacketed hollow point zero distance of 127 yards and MPBR of 146 yards is suggested , at 100 yards the height at 100 yards is 1.7 inches.
For vital zone radius of 1 inch 110 yards 124 yards 0.6
For vital zone radius of 4 inch 156 yards 179 yards 4.0

This is calculated by Strelock Pro , I have found the program to be REASONABLY accurate. The 4 inch VZR should suffice for a chest shot on a Kangaroo, .22 mag is illegal in Aust for roo shooting. Before the tree huggers get upset for many places in Australia Kangaroos are in plaque proportions, its not uncommon to see 100 to 150 of them in my paddocks ( I have only a small property of about 800 acres and I love the odd Kanga but there is a bloody limit !)

ron
I have also found that Strelok Pro to be very accurate.

The information for MPBR/MRD (zero) will be different for each weight bullet. Here is what Strelok lists for CCI Maxi Max 40Gr TMJ

Vital zone radius MRD MPBR. trajectory height at 100
1 inch - 102 117 0.2"
2 inch - 123 142 1.5"
4 inch - 154 178 4.0"

As you can see a 100 yard zero will work for most people whether they are using 30 Gr or 40Gr high velocity ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2020, 09:42 AM
wjritchie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2017
Location: 
Southern California
Posts: 
142
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When setting up my CZ 455 22WMR , note I have to use nontoxic for hunting . CCI TNT Green 30 grain . Averaged 2013 Fps 61 FPS ES .090 BC , Sight height 1.375 " .
Near Zero 21 yards
Far Zero 109 yards
Max PBR 123 yards
Sight in height 1.12 " @ 50 yards , 0.62 " high @ 100 Yards
2.5" diameter target
The rifle will hold that ammo in the target +- .375 left to right , and pretty much the trajectory calculations held true in the field . Hope yours does as well WJR

Last edited by wjritchie; 05-31-2020 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added 50 yard zero
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Mick89's Avatar
Mick89 is online now

Join Date: 
Jun 2018
Location: 
Australia
Posts: 
153
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico903 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick89 View Post
When I didn’t know any better and had my first 22 mag I used to zero at 50.
Years later and I have a new one on its way, it will be zeroed at 100 to give it an almost straight shot out to 120.
Thanks. What is your rise at 50 yds with that zero?
Calculated just under an inch high at 50, yet to test until the new rifle arrives.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2020, 03:03 AM
rico903
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2010
Location: 
MD
Posts: 
3,601
TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Thanks all
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2020, 08:09 AM
MKIIISS

Join Date: 
Jun 2010
Location: 
Alabama
Posts: 
201
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sight mine in dead on at 100. This allows give or take 3/4" to 1" high at 50.

I can hold the 9422M on a coon or possum to about 130 or so with no off the skin hold over and kill it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x