Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:06 PM
plinker202020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help A Noob

Hello All,

Looking to spend a month this summer in Alaska or Montana/Wyoming/Idaho mostly camping in National Forests. My 12 year old son and I got bit by the shooting bug this year and plan on bringing a couple of 22s to do some shooting along the way.

I would love some advice:

Son - I ordered a CZ 457 .22LR Scout for him as he's small for his age. He got a Stoeger S4000-E Suppressed Combo .177 Black Synthetic w/ 4x32 Scope for his birthday in April. He's been plinking with it in the backyard but it's long and heavy for him, not to mention that breaking it requires all sorts of gymnastics and effort. Are there other options you can recommend in case my LGS is unable to get the Scout ordered?

Dad - My LGS is waiting on me to make a decision between a CZ 455 American .22LR SS/SYN and a CZ 457 Lux .22LR 24.8". The 455 appeals to me because of the shorter length and durability of stainless/synthetic and because it feels like "buy it now or regret it later" since this is a discontinued model and the last SS/SYN CZ .22 available at my LGS. The 457 appeals to me for many reasons, chief among them being that it has classic looks and is closest to the Scout (kind of big brother/little brother, dad/son thing). I realize the 455 will require a scope but I would probably put a CZ UB 457 Weaver Rail 25 MOA and a scope on the 457 eventually anyway. I am also aware of the improvements between the models, just not sure how much they matter in practical terms. Before anyone says it, I'm not buying both because I have plans for other items to fill out the gun safe. What say you?

I appreciate all advice and thank you in advance.

P.S. They also have the Tikka T1X .22LR 20" Rifle in stock. Maybe buy this one and share with son?

Last edited by plinker202020; 05-28-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:53 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A CZ457 Scout will be a great choice for your son. I'm 6'2" and am actually considering one for myself. I handled one at my LGS and really thought it to be quite nice. I like a carbine sized rifle and the Scout has some of those attributes, for a new shooter, and also an old man like me! There are a lot of Scout owners on this forum; expect them to weigh in! It will be a great choice that your son can grow into and at some point even consider swapping stocks if he wants a different length of pull.

For Dad: I have a couple of CZ 452 and 455 Americans. IMO, both are hard to beat. The 457 has some advantages, but the 455 still has *some* hints of the old-world style of BRNO. I like 455s more than 457s, mostly on aesthetics. I have a CZ 572 in synthetic and love the way CZ does that material. I find other mfgr's synthetics to feel hard and cheap. CZ synthetic feels softer and "just right", again, IMO.

Tikka is known to be a fine product, but I have no personal experience with them. Let us know what you decide!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:05 PM
plinker202020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for that!

Your experience shooting the Scout as an adult has me thinking that maybe I should just buy the Scout for now and put the extra $ into a good scope and maybe a bipod. He's too young to go off shooting by himself anyway so we'll always be together. We can just take turns on the Scout.

I guess the only thing that would affect that would be the 455 SS...will I regret not grabbing this last one since they're discontinued?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 05:11 PM
Momo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I lucked out and got spoiled: my first .22 was a 452 American from one of Whittaker's belated supplies. I am so grateful that I purchased it in time.

YET.....

Sometimes I wish that I'd held out for a Lux or Ultra Lux so that I could have both irons and scoped options on the same rifle.

My 2.

- Momo

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Kodiakco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
K-var and Dahlonega armory both have 455"s in stock too. I just picked up a 455 training rifle from K-var.

Living the Tech Life
Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker202020 View Post
Thank you for that!

Your experience shooting the Scout as an adult has me thinking that maybe I should just buy the Scout for now and put the extra $ into a good scope and maybe a bipod. He's too young to go off shooting by himself anyway so we'll always be together. We can just take turns on the Scout.

I guess the only thing that would affect that would be the 455 SS...will I regret not grabbing this last one since they're discontinued?
Try the Scout yourself. You may be surprised how well it works for you. I hope the Scout owners jump in to offer more opinions. re: the 455 SS.... I'm not sure on that one. That's going to have to be a personal decision. In my case, I prefer blue steel. Always more firearms out there to buy/consider. No need to rush your decision.

Last edited by USCGret; 05-28-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 PM
plinker202020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ugh...I just discovered the 457 Premium

Is this how it begins?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:35 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep Plinker!! And the Moderator, Signalman, is the Chief Enabler!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:35 PM
plinker202020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGret View Post
Try the Scout yourself. You may be surprised how well it works for you. I hope the Scout owners jump in to offer more opinions. re: the 455 SS.... I'm not sure on that one. That's going to have to be a personal decision. In my case, I prefer blue steel. Always more firearms out there to buy/consider. No need to rush your decision.
I think that's really good advice that I should be sticking to...
Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM
plinker202020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGret View Post
Yep Plinker!! And the Moderator, Signalman, is the Chief Enabler!
Is there a way to ban him from this thread preemptively?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:39 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope! You have discovered CZs. Fine rimfires.. GL with your choice(s).
Old 05-28-2020, 05:51 PM
MisterMcSimon
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker202020 View Post
Ugh...I just discovered the 457 Premium

Is this how it begins?
This is how it begins. A year ago I didn't own any CZ's. Today I have a 452 Lux, 455 Trainer, 455 Varmint Syn TB, 457 American, currently bidding on a 452 FS, and considering adding in a 452/5/7 Scout. I'm saving myself for later this year on one of the Premium models.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:55 PM
plinker202020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcSimon View Post
This is how it begins. A year ago I didn't own any CZ's. Today I have a 452 Lux, 455 Trainer, 455 Varmint Syn TB, 457 American, currently bidding on a 452 FS, and considering adding in a 452/5/7 Scout. I'm saving myself for later this year on one of the Premium models.
Oh, boy...
Old 05-28-2020, 06:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Plinker sir if you found a Premium I would suggest you run don't walk and go put money down on that rifle. It won't matter sir they will be pictures involved down the road and once you get infected with CZitis You will know who and what I am...just wait and see. LOL

Signalman
Old 05-28-2020, 06:05 PM
MisterMcSimon
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
Plinker sir if you found a Premium I would suggest you run don't walk and go put money down on that rifle. It won't matter sir they will be pictures involved down the road and once you get infected with CZitis You will know who and what I am...just wait and see. LOL

Signalman
Lol, "what" you are. Saint or sinner?