Suggestions Comments on my next plinker rifle - nothing high end here - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-25-2020, 11:14 AM
marvin02

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
NW Indiana
Posts: 
55
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestions Comments on my next plinker rifle - nothing high end here



Log in to see fewer ads
I saw the thread "Need suggestions on my next high-end 22lr rifle purchase" and it gave me inspiration for this thread.

I am new to shooting, it will be one year in a few days. I have two 10/22s and an M&P 15-22. The 15-22 has a red dot, one of the 10/22s has a scope (which I have not tried yet), and the other 10/22 has a receiver mounted peep sight. I use the sighted 10/22 and the 15/22 for shooting steel challenge and rimfire challenge matches.

I am looking to potentially add another. Here is what I am looking at:


Winchester Wildcat


Has anyone here actually shot one of these? Kind of interesting from the takedown aspect.

Thompson Center T/CR22

A supposedly "better" 10/22. Is it?

Henry Small Game Rifle or Carbine

Satisfies two ares of curiosity. Lever action and tube fed.

Marlin 60

Along with the 10/22 this rifle seems like it is required ownership.

I have no need for another rifle - but that never stops a good obsession. I like learning about the various guns that I have bought in the last year and like trying things that are different. The reason I bought the 15-22 was because it is about as different as possible from the 10/22 I started with. The Winchester Wildcat and T/CR22 and both very similar to the 10/22, so while interesting they are not as desirable to me, but informed input may change that opinion.

So what's your input?

Other suggestions welcome. Maybe this thread will help someone else who is looking at rifles with lower cost, but still with a high fun factor.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 AM
marvin02

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
NW Indiana
Posts: 
55
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buy them all and try them.

There I took care of that response.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2020, 11:22 AM
jackkade is online now

Join Date: 
Nov 2018
Location: 
North Central Alabama
Posts: 
396
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would pass on the TCR 22, just another modified 10/22, that is probably no better than the two you have. I would suggest a Marlin 60 or Rmington 597 or CZ 512. That is if you want another self loader. You may consider a bolt action... Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-25-2020, 11:33 AM
marvin02

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
NW Indiana
Posts: 
55
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
I would pass on the TCR 22, just another modified 10/22, that is probably no better than the two you have. I would suggest a Marlin 60 or Rmington 597 or CZ 512. That is if you want another self loader. You may consider a bolt action... Just my thoughts
Thanks for the input. Both of those models are discontinued. How much support will they get down the road?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 AM
dbr65's Avatar
dbr65 is online now
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
Far Eastern PA
Posts: 
4,860
TPC Rating: 
100% (248)
You want a great plinker rifle and one that also serves as a great squirrel rifle (if you are so inclined), find a nice Brno Model 1. It won't break the bank and is a really sweet handling rifle. I've never encountered one that wasn't accurate and they are not ammo fussy.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2020, 12:17 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
Hoosierville
Posts: 
5,194
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1. Try using your scoped 1022.
2. Take the money and upgrade the 1022, better trigger, barrel, bolt charging handle, stock and better ammo.
3. Want a takedown, buy a browning sa, or if you’re cheap, find a norinco clone.Once you have one of these, you will be fascinated for a long time.
4. The tcr isnt better. Maybe just as good, but its just another 1022. Better to upgrade one of yours.
5. The model 60, is a pia to work on compared to the 1022. And very little aftermarket support.and a tube fed sa, is imo, one step too close to shooting your hand while reloading.But people love them. Buy the stainless one in the wood stock.
6. Winchester Wildcat, interesting piece of plastic. Its not a TD.but the fact that it runs ruger magazines, tells you they are the best.
7. The Henry is fun. But then you will sped a bunch of money on other levers , only to find that you wish you hadnt.Buy the H001Y , youth, its the cheapest and the smallest.

Look at the CZ 512. Its very interesting.

Variety is fun. But a good 1022 is funner!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM
marvin02

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
NW Indiana
Posts: 
55
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
1. Try using your scoped 1022.
2. Take the money and upgrade the 1022, better trigger, barrel, bolt charging handle, stock and better ammo.
3. Want a takedown, buy a browning sa, or if you’re cheap, find a norinco clone.Once you have one of these, you will be fascinated for a long time.
4. The tcr isnt better. Maybe just as good, but its just another 1022. Better to upgrade one of yours.
5. The model 60, is a pia to work on compared to the 1022. And very little aftermarket support.and a tube fed sa, is imo, one step too close to shooting your hand while reloading.But people love them. Buy the stainless one in the wood stock.
6. Winchester Wildcat, interesting piece of plastic. Its not a TD.but the fact that it runs ruger magazines, tells you they are the best.
7. The Henry is fun. But then you will sped a bunch of money on other levers , only to find that you wish you hadnt.Buy the H001Y , youth, its the cheapest and the smallest.

Look at the CZ 512. Its very interesting.

Variety is fun. But a good 1022 is funner!
I am planning on a range visit on Tuesday to shoot the 10/22 with the scope.

Both of my 10/22s have BX triggers. I was surprised at the difference.

Why do you say that I would wish I hadn't spent money on lever actions? The reason I was looking at the Henry small game rifles was for the receiver mounted peep sights. I believe that the youth would be too small for me, I have looked at the H001 with the thought of adding the peep sight at a later date.

Thanks for the input.

At this point I am enjoying all of the .22 rifles I own.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
4,335
TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I would say your next step is to build your own custom 10/22. Everyone should build at least one in their lifetime starting with an aftermarket receiver and picking what parts you want to use. The reason I say a 10/22 is because there's nothing on them that you can't do on your own without the help of a gunsmith. Add that with the huge amount of aftermarket support and you can truly make it your own. Even though you don't need to be an engineer (or even had to have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) to put one together, there's still a sense of self satisfaction in shooting a rifle that you put together on your own piece by piece.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
Hoosierville
Posts: 
5,194
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
I am planning on a range visit on Tuesday to shoot the 10/22 with the scope.

Both of my 10/22s have BX triggers. I was surprised at the difference.

Why do you say that I would wish I hadn't spent money on lever actions? The reason I was looking at the Henry small game rifles was for the receiver mounted peep sights. I believe that the youth would be too small for me, I have looked at the H001 with the thought of adding the peep sight at a later date.

Thanks for the input.

At this point I am enjoying all of the .22 rifles I own.
Bxs are nice, Brimstoned ones are nicer, kidds are nicer, you can always do better.

Because the Henrys are great guns, and you will have so much fun , that youll buy a Marlin 39, a Browning, a Winchester, also great, but more expensive, and really not more fun than a Henry. As for it being too small, its a matter of preference, im 6’2, and i like shorter lops and smaller guns in general. Find them more handy in off hand shooting . Quicker to hand shoulder eye and target for me.

I like every firearm i have , too. Part of the obsession :eek just trying to guide you to more happiness per $ . In the long run youll have them all anyways

Have fun at the range! Now that they are open.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2020, 02:04 PM
marvin02

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
NW Indiana
Posts: 
55
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I would say your next step is to build your own custom 10/22. Everyone should build at least one in their lifetime starting with an aftermarket receiver and picking what parts you want to use. The reason I say a 10/22 is because there's nothing on them that you can't do on your own without the help of a gunsmith. Add that with the huge amount of aftermarket support and you can truly make it your own. Even though you don't need to be an engineer (or even had to have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) to put one together, there's still a sense of self satisfaction in shooting a rifle that you put together on your own piece by piece.
In the end it's still a 10/22. Not that that is bad. The money spent on some of the custom 10/22s for very incremental improvement in function seems a little more crazy than I am at the moment. A 10/22 carbine out of the box shoots better than I can. I only upgraded the triggers because I found them on sale for $50.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2020, 03:22 PM
k98kidd

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Posts: 
52
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a tried and true method for picking out my next gun purchase. It goes something like this. I go to a gun show or a shop, walk around until: " %%%% , look at that, that's pretty slick," and bam there it is, my next gun purchase.

This method works great if your not really looking for anything in particular, but you have an itch to start filling another safe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
Hoosierville
Posts: 
5,194
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
In the end it's still a 10/22. Not that that is bad. The money spent on some of the custom 10/22s for very incremental improvement in function seems a little more crazy than I am at the moment. A 10/22 carbine out of the box shoots better than I can. I only upgraded the triggers because I found them on sale for $50.
The increments are not that small. For $100 you can buy a barrel that will shoot twice as good as most stock ruger barrels. A $50 radiused bolt will make your gun cycle a lot better. a bolt with tighter headspace will get you more consistency from your ammo. You can only shoot as good as your gun. A better gun allows you to become a better shooter. The difference between a $179 ruger 1022 and one with $200 of add ons is night and day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2020, 04:13 PM
DroopyBassets75's Avatar
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2015
Posts: 
966
TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Out of your list, I would pick a Henry 100% of the time, though my personal choice of model would be the long barreled Frontier and I would add a tang sight.

For something different, you might want to consider a pump. I LOVE my pumps. You can still find great deals on Savage 29's and Remington 121's. All steel and walnut, they will outlast everybody on this forum and are just a joy to carry and shoot. Most of them group quite well. If you look well enough you might stumble upon a nice Winchester 1890 or 1906. The Rossi clones of the Winchester 62's seem to work pretty good as well and are usually pretty affordable. Just something to ponder if you are looking for different.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2020, 04:31 PM
flangster is online now

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
4,640
TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I recently bought a Henry Frontier -- the one with the threaded octagon barrel. I have been shooting it suppressed in my neighbor's hay field. Quite a fun combination. It seems to shoot everything I have fed it reasonably well.

I have it set up with a Williams rear aperture sight and a Lyman 17 front globe, but the OEM front post and buckthorn sights are eminently usable. The whole thing is a light, accurate, mechanically robust package. Iron sights are fun to shoot, don't need batteries, don't suddenly drift "off" in the field, etc.

I'd also echo dbr5's recommendation for a Brno Model 1. I'd add the Model 2 to the list as well -- its the direct ancestor of the CZ 452 Trainer, and it is also an iron sight rifle. It has a rear sight ramp that will adjust accurately to 200 yards. You want to be able to do something that you can't do easily with another 10/22? Try one of these on a ten inch steel plate at 200 yards. It has made me a better shooter and provided an experience you won't get with a modern tactical style rifle.

The main reason to recommend the above is my reaction to what you already have in battery. You have semi-autos. You have scopes and red dots. You have "tactical." If you are going to spend money on something that you don't "need," why not increase your capabilities in battery?

Here's one of my Model 2's:



and the rear tangent sight:



The Henry also has a long barrel and a nice wide sight radius.
__________________
============
n00by is now flangster on RFC -- still a newbie though

Last edited by flangster; 05-25-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2020, 06:11 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
4,335
TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I would say your next step is to build your own custom 10/22. Everyone should build at least one in their lifetime starting with an aftermarket receiver and picking what parts you want to use. The reason I say a 10/22 is because there's nothing on them that you can't do on your own without the help of a gunsmith. Add that with the huge amount of aftermarket support and you can truly make it your own. Even though you don't need to be an engineer (or even had to have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) to put one together, there's still a sense of self satisfaction in shooting a rifle that you put together on your own piece by piece.
In the end it's still a 10/22. Not that that is bad. The money spent on some of the custom 10/22s for very incremental improvement in function seems a little more crazy than I am at the moment. A 10/22 carbine out of the box shoots better than I can. I only upgraded the triggers because I found them on sale for $50.
I just kind of figured where you had the TC 22 on your list that maybe you were looking for an "upgraded" version of the 10/22. It's only a 10/22 if you use Ruger parts. 🙂 Then again I kind of missed the part where you said "not high-end" and "plinker".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190809_185407_1590448253429.jpg (195.8 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x