Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:11 PM
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Wisdom there. The older I get, the more respect I have for life.
Agreed. I used to squirrel hunt as a kid. I now feed them in my back yard.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I don't kill anything for fun

but with all the skunks and raccoons in my part of the state, I have no hesitation about dispatching anything that hangs around my house. The odds of finding rabies are so high that it is illegal to transport them (if caught via live-trap) out of my yard for release anywhere. Venomous snakes automatically get killed by any instrument quickly available. If any of my grandkids got surprised by these critters I would be horrified. My priorities put the lives of these creatures pretty much on the bottom of my list.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:38 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Don't do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
I now feed them in my back yard.
You don't necessarily have to kill 'em, but you should not feed them and encourage them to hang around your home.

Just wait until the little darlings find their way into your attic and chew up a few electrical wires, not to mention the stink they make when any of them die up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 01:49 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shoot & release.

I have a few airsoft guns. One of my guilty pleasures is hiking around the desert blasting (mostly missing) jack rabbits and cottontails with biodegradable 6mm BBs in full-auto. They deliver ~1 ft# at 25 yds. I have however killed a lot of grasshoppers, ants and stink bugs.

A paintball gun loaded with powder-filled .69 cal balls is also a lot of fun.

Mostly all I hunt with firearms/airguns anymore are dove, quail and pests at local farms.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:30 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't regret letting the coyote live. It's one of those things that was a choice. The ground squirrels and starlings are about the only thing I shoot regularly because they are a destructive nuisance and keeping them in check is just a part of rural life. They tear up a place and destroy nut crops. If you saw the ground at the neighbors place they are losing 20 to 50% of the crop in places to the little nut busters. I saw two gopher snakes today in the yard. I rarely ever see 1. I let one of them go yesterday and he was still hanging around today. The second larger one was a surprise. But like the coyotes, the snakes are good mice eaters that crawl down into holes and they are not poisonous so no harm no foul. Almost walked into a young skunk tonight while I was out watering. Glad he made enough noise I knew something was there. He was really just a darker spot in the dark night of a crescent moon. I paused and he finally put his tail down and scampered off. They eat mice too! All animals have their place but unchecked their populations can explode. For every Rabbit I see, there are 50 squirrels. I used to kill and clean rabbits to eat as a kid but I will only shoot a rabbit now if I really needed one for food. Really the coyote and foxes need them more than I do. They are so tame I get within 10 feet of them all the time and I love watching them. My friends pointer tried catching one the other day. The cotton tail showed him who is faster. I hadn't seen one run that fast in 30 years but that dog was quick! The Rabbit... just a little quicker!

Nice to know I'm in the company of some very kind hearted people here.
rc
Old 05-26-2020, 04:37 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I decided to stop killing fluffy things a while back.

I used to hunt prodigiously in my youth but as many others have said as i have aged I have more respect for the furry things.

Even insects get a second chance in my abode. I verbally warn them, but if they ignore my requests to stop trespassing. I have to declare "No Squatters in Disco's house"

I do draw a line at Rats, Mice and certain bugs such as Wasps, Horseflies or large Moths. Those F**kers can die....

Out comes the Pith Helmet (gotta look the part on safari) and smooth bore air pistol with my sugar shot load and Insect safari begins. Forget bug blasters pah just cotton wadding at the breech and then more to cap the shot load.

Salt is risky in terms of rust and corrosion coarse brown sugar makes the best shot.

But recently I have turned down a few invites to go deer stalking and for years I've been a Faux rabbit hunter for a landowner, as its the only piece of land where I can legally plink with my .22lr rifles.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:53 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
If the hunter has no regrets when Life is taken, there is something wrong . . .

. . . its far too precious to waste.

A lot of commonality expressed here (regretting unneccessary loss of life), its why I have given up dove hunting which was one of my favorite hunting events. Whitewing season in south Texas signaled an upcoming hunting season and sitting under a shade giving mesquite and a relentless southeast breeze was how a hunting season began. Limiting out happened more than a few times. Back then, it was treated almost like a regional holiday.

But I began noticing what I would net as a result of it. A meal or two of meat at most. And so many lives taken for that meal - I began to have some regrets. A deer at least provided far more for a life given.

So dove hunting for me often has me out there to appreciate the flights, but I don't shoot them any more. A walk in the monte is fair compensation - a day in the woods is never regretted.

I declared a truce with coyotes a few years back as well. I don't run cattle and really enjoy their 'serenades', especially at night. I hope the coyote you warned takes the lesson to heart.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:20 AM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer1234 View Post
I stopped pulling the trigger on live things 25 years ago. I wish I could call back every bullet I sent an animals way. I watched the life drain from the eyes too many times. Thanks for letting that one go.
Agree 100% with you, beer1234.
I'd give serious money to call back some shots!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:26 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I respect the non-hunters viewpoint but don't try to deny the right to others.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:49 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I respect the non-hunters viewpoint but don't try to deny the right to others.
Agreed. Although I haven't read any comments in this thread that would suggest that. The theme here seems to suggest that, for some of us, hunting for sport can become less of a thrill as we age. Perhaps it's because we become increasingly aware of our own mortality. I, for one, have no problem with folks who like to hunt; I just don't enjoy doing it myself anymore.

Except, of course, for the squirrels and chipmunks that keep trying to storm the castle!

Last edited by StevieNH; 05-26-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beef is barfy and chicken is foul! That leaves me with pork as far as domesticated meat goes. I've spent months in Asia where veggies are the meal, and any little bits of meat thrown in (yes, pork intestines & insects are considered meat) are mainly there to add a little flavor. An hour after stuffing yourself - you're starving again. It's no wonder almost everyone there is skinny.

I need meat for the staying power between meals. If I don't kill critters - I'll literally die. I carry absolutely no regret for taking animal's lives to sustain my own.

My favorite critter is elk. Most of the year I see them as magnificent, beautiful, and even very intelligent animals. But during hunting season, I only see hamburger, steaks, roasts, sausages, and so on. When I kill one, I feel a small bit of sadness for the individual, and then great pride that it died a quick death. A well placed bullet is much more merciful than death by starvation or teeth and claws.

One elk is enough meat to feed me for 2 years. So if I'm hunting and still have half an elk at home, I won't kill another. If the opportunity arises, I simply leave the safety on and say "bang" in my mind. I've never regretted passing on an animal I don't need. It was still a successful hunt in my mind.

Another good example of compassion is rabbits around my house. A few years ago, the rabbit population was WAY out of control. One day I counted 20 sitting in my driveway without taking a single step. Every couple days, one would fall into one of the window wells where it was certain to die of thirst or starvation. I would place a pet carrier in the bottom and herd it in. Then I'd carry it to the edge of the property and turn it loose. I must have rescued at least a dozen bunnies that year. BUT... if they get to digging up my roses or doing other destructive things - they get a .22 thru the head. I don't typically eat them, but still feel completely justified in taking them out.

I kind of get the feeling from the tone of this thread that most or all that feel killing is immoral in some way are afraid of death. Perhaps that's why I have no regret for the lives I've taken. To me - death is as natural as birth. While I don't desire my demise to happen soon, I also have no fear of the inevitable heading my direction.

Killing for the right reasons is good. Not killing for the right reasons is good too.

I'm glad rc let the mama coyote live. I would've done the same.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 AM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i only go hunting with stevie wonder
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 PM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Can I play , too ?

Squirrels , voles , bears , moose are all PITA . I'll shoot tree rats and mice on sight ; I have shot three "nuisance" bears ; I won't kill a moose , as they are just too big to " shoot , shovel , and shut up " . Moose are un-fazed by gunfire , but , they will leave in a hurry with an application of fireworks ! Whistling bottle rockets are the best ! BANG !
Old 05-26-2020, 01:51 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've come to love and respect most all critters on our land; skeeters, horse and black flies, ticks, and poisonous ones excepted. I have even found peace with the pervasive Carpenter Bees - things my Fi (Avatar) was fascinated with killing.

Never was a hunter, and have loved critters my whole life. Living on a farm where I don't grow anything for profit or use helps with that. Saved a young (not baby) rabbit the other day from one of our barn cats. Had been recently caught but not injured (no blood, all legs working fine). It was in shock, but moving when I picked that poor critter up and hand-carried it 400 feet away to our house. Had lots of time to try and reassure it that it was going to be okay. Set it loose under a forsythia bush near our house and it scampered in toward the center.

I got a bolt gun (.223) exclusively for dispatching a RABID critter at range. Would newver use it for any other purpose.

I derive no joy in killing critters, but satisfaction for some (skeeters, ticks, horse and barn flies). I even hate killing the occasional Copperhead on the farm, but do my duty to protect our barn cats and horses. Even got a gun specifically for humanely dispatching Copperheads, with rat shot. Still distasteful, with apologies as I bury it or toss it into the woods.

Just me, an aging elder who doesn't hunt and pretty much loves the critters of our land...
Old 05-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I kind of get the feeling from the tone of this thread that most or all that feel killing is immoral in some way...
I don't feel that way.

Friends of mine hunt every chance they get. I buy a licence every year in order to hunt birds (to eat). Among other small nuisance creatures, I shoot ground squirrels so cows don't step into holes. I feel zero remorse for such things. Picking up a dove I shot is no different to me than putting a pack of bacon in my shopping cart.

I just don't derive any satisfaction/pleasure out of killing an animal if it serves no purpose for me. I have no problem with others doing any kind of hunting they choose.