Howa Mini Action - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:06 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howa Mini Action

Any Howa Mini Action owners aboard? Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howa makes the actions for the Weatherby Vanguard. Both Howa 1500 and Vanguard have reputations as good shooting rifles. A couple of my friends at my deer camp have Vanguards and praise them. So yeah, Howa makes quality stuff and is not too expensive.

I've been a Winchester Model 70 fan for years...but right now I am absolutely blown away by the fit, finish, quality and mostly the SUB Quarter MOA groups I'm getting from my new Sauer 100 rifle.

It all started when I sold my Win 70 300 Win Mag at deer camp. Don't need a super-magnum artillery piece anymore. So I had $800 from that sale burning a hole in my pocket and wanted something accurate with a lot less recoil. Never even dreamed of owning a Sauer--way above my pay grade. Until they came out with this new 100 Classic in Beech. This is the first time in my life I could afford a German Rifle. I feel like Prince Franz Albrecht (hog-hunting prince) every time I hold it. 6.5 Creedmoor is living up to all the hype I heard about it. It ain't hype, it is really better.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGret View Post
Any Howa Mini Action owners aboard? Thoughts?

They get good reviews (and the price is very good), from the reviews over on 24hourcampfire. One of the posters over there is the manager at Whittakerguns, and he often runs great deals on them.
Those who have bought them seem to really like them a lot. There's some grousing about the bulky magazines, but supposedly there are kits coming to convert them to floorplate/internal magazines on the way.
I've had some of the regular Howas, in both long and short actions, and they met expectations handily.
I think they're a pretty good rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 07:43 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
The magazines are the only complaints I've heard.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
There's some grousing about the bulky magazines, but supposedly there are kits coming to convert them to floorplate/internal magazines on the way.
Now you've got my attention. Any idea when these kits might be available?
Old 02-08-2020, 05:10 PM
greyhair
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bottom metal is really plastic,and the screw holes sometimes crack.Mine came from the dealer already cracked. Got a DIP bottom metal,that is really metal and every thing is ok. Donít like the mags at all,wish they were flush.Good all around rifle and a very good shooter.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my Howas, both my heavy barrel 1500 in .309 and my mini 1500 in 7,62X39. I hear a lot of complaints on the mags by people who do not own one mainly cause they don't like the idea. I have had absolutely no complaints with mine and the function flawlessly. Ironically everyone is gaga over the Vudoo and Bergara tactical style .22 rifles with the gigundo fake AICS magazines. In any event, you can cut the mags so they are flush using a tutorial that is on the internet and I expect that DIP or another after market firm will come up with a bottom kit for a flush magazine.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:01 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dont make the error of thinking it is the same people who like one ugly gun are the same who talk down another simialar plastic horror.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:34 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx everyone for the feedback. Bob
Old 02-09-2020, 10:13 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
I've a mini in 6.5 grendel. Mdt chassis on mine. Hated the factory stock and the mag release was in the worst place possible. Ounce I put it in the chassis it improved in consistency. It is a 3/4 moa gun with Hornady black. I also added a bolt on larger bolt handle. I truly enjoy shooting it. Sold my tricked out savage 308 even.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:57 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I remember when Interarms came out with the Mini MKx action, is it similar to that except having a removable magazine?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx again all for the info. I'm nibbling on a Howa Mini.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:06 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Did you end up with the Mini?
Old 02-15-2020, 03:37 PM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
as far as the quality of the howa,s, I have a early heavy barreled S&W 1500 imported from howa in .223 that has a oil finished dark checkered walnut stock with parked metal that shoots right with my heavy barreled Remington 700 in .223.